This is why I almost never comment on anything on FB

Online now: Yori
maurvir Meat popsicle
https://gizmodo.com/when-a-stranger-dec ... 1827546385

Quote:
In 2014, a teenager from Alabama visited Auschwitz and tweeted a smiling selfie from the former concentration camp. It went viral, as people across the internet debated the teen’s choice of self-portraiture. WHNT News, a Huntsville, Alabama-based TV station, posted a story about the incident to its Facebook page asking readers to “share your thoughts.”

A heated discussion ensued. Monika Glennon was among those defending the teen, saying that kids make mistakes, that at least she was visiting the site, and that the condemnation by an internet mob “shows the same judgmental and senseless pack mentality that led to this horrific time in history to begin with.”

A woman named Mollie Rosenblum disagreed. She responded to several of the teen selfie supporters, including Glennon, saying that Auschwitz was a somber place for reflection and not an appropriate place to take selfies. She identified herself as being of Jewish descent and suggested that others didn’t have a full grasp of the Holocaust. Glennon responded to Rosenblum, telling her Auschwitz isn’t “her” place, that it “belongs to all and was a former killing zone of all,” including, originally, Polish people.

If you’ve ever argued with someone online, you’re probably not surprised to hear that neither person was convinced by the other person’s arguments. Glennon forgot about the exchange and went about her life. Rosenblum did not.

Rosenblum stewed over the exchange for a week. It was a low point in her life; a single mother with two sons, she was, by her own account as posted on Facebook, then “in the throws of full blown methamphetamine addiction” and making very poor decisions (including, in 2016, kidnapping). She spent a few hours researching Glennon online and soon knew enough to fake having met her in real life. It was the online version of road rage; instead of pulling a gun on another driver, Rosenblum decided to drop a bomb on Glennon’s reputation. Rosenblum submitted her fabricated story to She’s A Homewrecker, and then, according to an account she later gave to a local news outlet, forgot about it.

It is way too easy to tick off someone with nothing better to do and nothing to lose.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Yeah, I’m working on that. I’m trying to remind myself that if it doesn’t directly affect me, move on. I read enough news stories and comments that I recognize a few recurring names, and those people get blasted by the disagreeing posters on a regular basis. People that comment on news sites tend to base their opinion on sensationalized (read wrong) headlines without reading the story. They also don’t want to be corrected.
dv
One Facebook and Twitter, I only say nice things.

I don't say much.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Most of the time I just drop some facts or a snarky remark and move on. I have a few online nemesis' but I don't much worry about them. They are no match for my murder with words skills, honed over 20 years of online debates and I am pretty dox proof because I don't give a human waste.
maurvir Meat popsicle
It's been a particular struggle lately, as it seems a lot of my old classmates have turned out to be Trump supporters. The picture floating around comparing the white outfits of congressional women to Klan rallies has been particularly galling. :squint:
dv
maurvir posted:
It's been a particular struggle lately, as it seems a lot of my old classmates have turned out to be Trump supporters. The picture floating around comparing the white outfits of congressional women to Klan rallies has been particularly galling. :squint:

STEM Ubermenschen, I take it?
maurvir Meat popsicle
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

High school, not college. Most of my college class mates hate Trump with the same passion ordinarily reserved for Hitler or Stalin.
dv
maurvir posted:
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

High school, not college. Most of my college class mates hate Trump with the same passion ordinarily reserved for Hitler or Stalin.

Ah.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

This is why I almost never comment on anything on FB