snowpocalypse/snowmageddon 2019

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Betonhaus, Google [Bot], juice, Majestic-12 [Bot], maurvir, Pariah
obvs precoupado
Betonhaus posted:
A bit nipply out.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
macnuke Afar
and unfortunately there will be a body count from this.
if i hear one more person talk like they are using Celsius when they aren't...below freezing≠below zero
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Aaron_R posted:
if i hear one more person talk like they are using Celsius when they aren't...below freezing≠below zero

Not for Fahrenheit users, no. Though I'm sure there will be a certain dark joy in those towns that reach -40. :evil:
user Stupid cockwomble
macnuke posted:
and unfortunately there will be a body count from this.

eleven as of today, three of them by freezing
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
I was back at work at noon today. The worst of it is over, but it's still plenty cold.

Locally, we hit 31 below zero (without windchill). Coldest in Minnesota was 56 below.

People were for the most part smart and it doesn't sound like there were too many cases of frostbite. More trouble with folks slipping on ice. You live here, you respect Mother Nature.

Temperatures by Sunday could be 60 degrees warmer!
Video of woman stepping outside with long wet hair in subzero temps somewhere in the Midwest.
TOS
the forecast calls for above-freezing temps around here starting saturday

we might even get some rain, for heaven's sake

that is going to cause some serious chaos, man
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Donkey Butter jerk face
TOS posted:
C. Ives posted:
Donkey Butter posted:
Oh give me a break Al, the kids will go from a heated house, to a heated car and into a heated school. And would likely have recess inside. Maybe Al is getting soft too

I don't know where the fiddlesticks you live, but around here there are kids who have to walk upwards of ½ mile to their bus stop and then stand there for the 20 minute window of "it will probably show up about now."

It was -29ºF (windchill was -50-something) when I got up this morning (and I slept in). You're more than welcome to go stand outside for 30 minutes in that, but I think we can all agree it would be pretty damned irresponsible to put anyone, especially little kids, outside in that.

dangerous is what i'd call it

the need to be macho is one thing, but being indifferent to suffering is nothing to be proud of

My kids and I walk home from school everyday. Regardless of the weather. 1.2km though snow and wind and rain. Today was -27C with wind chill (-18C without) We dress for the weather and don't have any problems.

We aren't trying to be "macho", we are just walking home. And even on days as cold as today we spend time on our walk home to play in the snow.

Oh and round here most kids, even the ones that live closer to the schools, get driven to school and the kids that do take the bus only stand outside for about 5-10 minutes waiting for the bus. (there is a bus stop right outside my house so I see those kids there every morning and know they don't wait 30 min for the bus)
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Honestly, the kids at the bus stop near my house wait in the cars with their parent. The problem is that here in Eastern Kentucky, we're still one of the most poverty stricken areas in the country (second only to some of the Indian/Native American reservations), and there are some kids whose best winter coat is a hoodie.
TOS
Donkey Butter posted:
TOS posted:
C. Ives posted:
Donkey Butter posted:
Oh give me a break Al, the kids will go from a heated house, to a heated car and into a heated school. And would likely have recess inside. Maybe Al is getting soft too

I don't know where the fiddlesticks you live, but around here there are kids who have to walk upwards of ½ mile to their bus stop and then stand there for the 20 minute window of "it will probably show up about now."

It was -29ºF (windchill was -50-something) when I got up this morning (and I slept in). You're more than welcome to go stand outside for 30 minutes in that, but I think we can all agree it would be pretty damned irresponsible to put anyone, especially little kids, outside in that.

the need to be macho is one thing, but being indifferent to suffering is nothing to be proud of

My kids and I walk home from school everyday. Regardless of the weather. 1.2km though snow and wind and rain. Today was -27C with wind chill (-18C without) We dress for the weather and don't have any problems.

We aren't trying to be "macho", we are just walking home. And even on days as cold as today we spend time on our walk home to play in the snow.

Oh and round here most kids, even the ones that live closer to the schools, get driven to school and the kids that do take the bus only stand outside for about 5-10 minutes waiting for the bus. (there is a bus stop right outside my house so I see those kids there every morning and know they don't wait 30 min for the bus)

well if it works great for you, it must work great for everyone else, right? no exceptions!
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
juice Inadvertently correct
That is well done.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Ha! "Strikes Back" is playing on tv right now.
:goth:
Last winter I bough some Bridgestone Blizzaks because they were very highly rated, only to find out later that because of their design they are a only really good winter tires for two years and then they turn into wasteful winter tires.

Thanks to that long stretch of +7 weather we had (with 7c being the line where you switch tires) they have turned into wasteful winter tires. I'm going to leave them on all summer then get Nokian all weather tires.
rubber degrades over time (also why condoms have EXP dates), so you will have the same exact problem with whatever you purchase next. You should look into getting chains, cost way less, works better and will last longer (if you do freeway/city driving get non-metal as metal tracks might be illegal in your area and a set of rubber tracks will still be cheaper than new wheels).
Aaron_R posted:
rubber degrades over time (also why condoms have EXP dates), so you will have the same exact problem with whatever you purchase next. You should look into getting chains, cost way less, works better and will last longer (if you do freeway/city driving get non-metal as metal tracks might be illegal in your area and a set of rubber tracks will still be cheaper than new wheels).

Normally I expect to get at least three years out of a set of tires before the grip noticeably differs from the first year
dv
Betonhaus posted:
Aaron_R posted:

Normally I expect to get at least three years out of a set of tires before the grip noticeably differs from the first year

What matters is how far you drive. Blizzaks - most winter tires, really - are not long-life tires because of the soft rubber compounds. How far had you driven on them before they went to crap? What was the remaining tread depth? Did you rotate them religiously? Do you swap them off for summer tires in the summer?

Also, you might have been scammed and sold old-stock. Tires will dry-rot after 5-10 years on the shelf. What was the manufacturing date code on the tires?

Personally, I'm happy if I get 30-40k miles on a set of winter tires, and 10k miles per winter is normal. Swap on some all-seasons for the summer and you get better traction/handling and don't wear out your expensive winter tires.

You'll probably have similar problems with the Nokian all-weather (I'm assuming WR G3/4?) They're great in the snow, but I drove three sets of those to bald, it "only" took a little over 40k miles per set. (And I drive 20k miles per year, so, two years.)
Donkey Butter jerk face
TOS posted:
Donkey Butter posted:
TOS posted:
C. Ives posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

well if it works great for you, it must work great for everyone else, right? no exceptions!

Yup, that's exactly what I said. Well done you
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I was finnaly able to take Chico on a walk after 5 days of it being way too cold for him. Notice the snow is deeper than he is tall.

TOS
20 car pileup around 15 minutes from me

the 400 is a horrible highway in winter, prone to whiteouts
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Considering the flooded roads, the overflowing dams, the mud slides and the power outages, I'd rather have the snow ...

https://www.wymt.com/content/news/VIEWE ... 90521.html
juice Inadvertently correct
We can also have the flooded roads, the overflowing dams, the mud slides and the power outages when the snow melts. Add to that flooding caused by ice jams on the rivers.
TOS
oh we had at least a dozen power outages just yesterday
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Crazy windy overnight and this morning.
Yesterday was like this on the Hudson:
TOS
obvs precoupado
That looks fun as human waste.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Took Chico on a walk yesterday, solid ice all the way. Slippery+++

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

snowpocalypse/snowmageddon 2019