snowpocalypse/snowmageddon 2019

Page: 1, 2
Online now: No visible users
TOS
so? any war stories?

in my neck of the woods the schools stopped calling snow days years ago ... they sometimes cancel the buses but not school

took me ages to clear the driveway, and when the neighbours stopped to chat my lips were so frozen i could barely speak

so weird to have a combination of heavy snow and bitter cold
Pariah Know Your Enemy
We only got about 10 inches of snow so it's not too bad, roads are passable and I have 20 something daughters who do the shoveling.
It is the cold that is more of an issue with highs well below zero today and tomorrow. I put this note on my mailbox today:

juice Inadvertently correct
That's a great idea, Par
Séamas Honorary Consul General
We get cancellations and 2-hour delays even on fairly mild winter weather.

No more than twenty minutes after my daughter got on her bus we got the call that there will be early dismissal--so basically right after the buses dropped her off, they started off to the high school to start taking kids back home.

What we are looking at isn't exactly frigid until Thursday--but today can be pretty tricky as the temperatures will hover right around the freezing mark and we are getting snow, wintery mix and then rain, and then a temperature drop.
Our district is oddly shaped and parts of it are in the foothills of the 'highlands" -lots of winding and very steep roads.
obvs precoupado
Pariah posted:
We only got about 10 inches of snow so it's not too bad, roads are passable and I have 20 something daughters who do the shoveling.
It is the cold that is more of an issue with highs well below zero today and tomorrow. I put this note on my mailbox today:

:2up:
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
No crazy snow here. Just cold

Quote:
LIFE-THREATENING COLD TONIGHT: If you thought today’s wind chills were bad, then brace yourself. The worst conditions come tonight into Wednesday morning. Air temperatures and wind chills will plummet overnight. Wind chills this bad typically only occur in this region once a decade or so, so this is a rare situation and should be taken seriously. The last wind chills anywhere similar to this occurred in January 2014, but then you might have to go back to February 1996 to find a similar situation. Be sure to bundle up, if you must venture out at all. The frigid weather will continue Wednesday night, but there will be improvement Thursday.

Be careful, Malkin!
Donkey Butter jerk face
I heard parts of the Dakota's where going to be -60F

Here we are at a comfortable -5C (just switched over to -6C) going down to -18C tonight.

Only about 30cm of snow

always amazes me that the folks here in Canada freak out about the cold and snow. I mean come on guys it's bloody Canada, what did you expect.

Sadly I have still not met anyone that lives in an igloo or eats whale blubber, or even anyone that take a dog-sled to work.

All the things I knew to be true about Canadians, sadly are not.
Donkey Butter jerk face
Malkin posted:

Quote:
LIFE-THREATENING COLD TONIGHT: If you thought today’s wind chills were bad, then brace yourself. The worst conditions come tonight into Wednesday morning. Air temperatures and wind chills will plummet overnight. Wind chills this bad typically only occur in this region once a decade or so, so this is a rare situation and should be taken seriously. The last wind chills anywhere similar to this occurred in January 2014, but then you might have to go back to February 1996 to find a similar situation. Be sure to bundle up, if you must venture out at all. The frigid weather will continue Wednesday night, but there will be improvement Thursday.

I spent a few summers living about 30 min north of Brainerd. After seeing this weather report, I'm thankful I never spent a winter there.

Last edited by Donkey Butter on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:31 pm.

It's averaging around freezing here, -10 is the coldest it's going to get for the next few days.
TOS
Malkin posted:

Quote:

sweet

jesus

that's antarctic-level cold

hell, it's worse than antarctic

that's truly killer cold
TOS
Donkey Butter posted:
Malkin posted:

Quote:

I spent a few summers living about 30 min north of Brainerd. After seeing this weather report, I'm thankful I never spent a winter there.

i'm afraid the movie fargo ruined me for that part of the world ... it's all i can think of whenever a town/city is mentioned
"So maybe the best thing would be to take care of that, right here in. Brainerd. "
maurvir Meat popsicle
Nope. Everything closed - schools, businesses, even the freaking arsenal - and we didn't get a single flake of snow in the valley. Some of the areas up in the hills got snow, but not even enough to cover the ground.

So, I got snowless "snow day" :squint:
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I only managed to get up to 69F/20C today, low last night was 46F/8C.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
macnuke Afar
I'm sure the righties will be looking at the camera and saying "What global warming?"

but in the meantime...i'll stay down south I do believe.
macnuke Afar
DukeofNuke posted:
You people are soft, ya hear me; SOFT!

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Were- ... 46791.html

I'm sure he walked both ways to school uphill thru this human waste every winter when he was a kid.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
68 degrees here, but I think the swimming pool must be 40. Polar bear swim in the morning.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
macnuke posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
You people are soft, ya hear me; SOFT!

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Were- ... 46791.html

I'm sure he walked both ways to school uphill thru this human waste every winter when he was a kid.

https://twitter.com/goforthforky/status ... 46791.html
No mail delivery tomorrow. I can’t ever remember it being that cold before…

It’s been nice to have a couple of days off of work. My heat has been keeping up alright, though I did spot a bit of frost in the corner of the laundry room. Going to be some bursting pipes around town once we begin to thaw back out.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
macnuke posted:
I'm sure the righties will be looking at the camera and saying "What global warming?"

there was a tweet...
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Interesting. I'm not that far from you and it's only -6 here.
TOS
way better up here ... not used to that

obvs precoupado
Positively balmy.
My kids' school district called for a two-hour delay, and then revised that to closing for the day.
Meh, it is 27 degrees and sunny. It rained all day yesterday, turned to snow / wintery mix overnight.
Barely more than a dusting, but the roads are considerably icy--but should have been easily handled. Snow should come in this afternoon, not sure what kind of total we are looking at.
I think the district is being overly cautious, but they made the mistake the other way a year or so ago and things were not good.

Temps will drop to around 0 tonight.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:

It is supposed to hit 40f this weekend with rain, crazy assed weather.
dv
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

It is supposed to hit 40f this weekend with rain, crazy assed weather.

Yup. Rain. Just in time to freeze on Sunday night. Woohoo.
ukimalefu posted:
macnuke posted:

there was a tweet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQlHaGhYoF0
Schools are closed again tomorrow. We'll see if work is closed for me again.

The sun is nice inside during the day, but boy does it get cold at night.

Quote:
Extremely cold and life-threatening wind chills will continue today and tonight. Although winds will weaken today, we are expecting even colder air temperatures to settle into the Northland tonight. We are looking at potentially record-breaking low temperatures tonight, particularly over northeast Minnesota. Wind chills could fall to as low as 60 below zero, and frostbite could occur in as little as five minutes. Hypothermia could develop quickly as well. Be prepared for the extreme cold by dressing in layers and limiting your time outdoors if you can.

1996 looks like it was pretty cold.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Malkin posted:
Schools are closed again tomorrow. We'll see if work is closed for me again.

The sun is nice inside during the day, but boy does it get cold at night.

Quote:
Extremely cold and life-threatening wind chills will continue today and tonight. Although winds will weaken today, we are expecting even colder air temperatures to settle into the Northland tonight. We are looking at potentially record-breaking low temperatures tonight, particularly over northeast Minnesota. Wind chills could fall to as low as 60 below zero, and frostbite could occur in as little as five minutes. Hypothermia could develop quickly as well. Be prepared for the extreme cold by dressing in layers and limiting your time outdoors if you can.

Malkin, what year was it you posted pics of snow blocking your office window ... on the third floor ... ?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Al Roker calls Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin a ‘nitwit governor’
https://www.wymt.com/content/news/Al-Ro ... 94681.html
:lol:

I call him "Trump Lite"
Donkey Butter jerk face
Oh give me a break Al, the kids will go from a heated house, to a heated car and into a heated school. And would likely have recess inside. Maybe Al is getting soft too
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
Donkey Butter posted:
Oh give me a break Al, the kids will go from a heated house, to a heated car and into a heated school. And would likely have recess inside. Maybe Al is getting soft too

I don't know where the fiddlesticks you live, but around here there are kids who have to walk upwards of ½ mile to their bus stop and then stand there for the 20 minute window of "it will probably show up about now."

It was -29ºF (windchill was -50-something) when I got up this morning (and I slept in). You're more than welcome to go stand outside for 30 minutes in that, but I think we can all agree it would be pretty damned irresponsible to put anyone, especially little kids, outside in that.
When I went to school for some time I literally had to walk though the forest to get to school. Or take the bus but it was slower. That was fun.
TOS
C. Ives posted:
Donkey Butter posted:

I don't know where the fiddlesticks you live, but around here there are kids who have to walk upwards of ½ mile to their bus stop and then stand there for the 20 minute window of "it will probably show up about now."

It was -29ºF (windchill was -50-something) when I got up this morning (and I slept in). You're more than welcome to go stand outside for 30 minutes in that, but I think we can all agree it would be pretty damned irresponsible to put anyone, especially little kids, outside in that.

dangerous is what i'd call it

the need to be macho is one thing, but being indifferent to suffering is nothing to be proud of
I hate how cold people don't really know it is most of the time because of the arbitrary temperature scale used. Mail delivery cancelled here today and tomorrow. Yesterday and the day before that just over a foot of snowfall
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

snowpocalypse/snowmageddon 2019

Page: 1, 2