Disable Facetime NOW!

Online now: No visible users
"Major iPhone FaceTime bug lets you hear the audio of the person you are calling … before they pick up".

And not just audio. Under certain conditions video on the targeted iPhone or Mac can also be seen.

While Apple is aware of the problem and will issue MacOS and iOS updates later this week, the only option now is to disable Facetime.
So use a sticky note on the camera when you jack off
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
Sticky notes don't tend to block audio.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Apple disables Group FaceTime following major security flaw

Quote:
Apple has now disabled the Group FaceTime feature on the server side, and reports suggest this has fixed the security flaw for most people. Some are still able to reproduce the flaw, but it’s likely that Apple is still in the process of replicating this across multiple servers. Apple is also planning to fix this on the client side with a software update later this week, but in the meantime it’s probably worth disabling FaceTime in the iOS settings. On the Mac, you can disable FaceTime by opening the app, then Preferences, then unchecking “Enable this account.”

TOS
"the meeting's delayed, bob is "badgering the witness" in his office again"
maurvir Meat popsicle
obvs posted:

Men have generally been trained to remain perfectly silent, so that really isn't an issue.
dv
maurvir posted:
obvs posted:

Men have generally been trained to remain perfectly silent, so that really isn't an issue.

Oh god, you live such a repressed life. Still do.
macnuke Afar
/hugs android
ukimalefu posted:

Quote:
Apple has now disabled the Group FaceTime feature on the server side, and reports suggest this has fixed the security flaw for most people. Some are still able to reproduce the flaw, but it’s likely that Apple is still in the process of replicating this across multiple servers. Apple is also planning to fix this on the client side with a software update later this week, but in the meantime it’s probably worth disabling FaceTime in the iOS settings. On the Mac, you can disable FaceTime by opening the app, then Preferences, then unchecking “Enable this account.”

This advice seems bogus to me. If Group FaceTime is disabled, when why would I have any need to disable FaceTime that can only be used in situations where there is no known security concern?
Apple was slow to respond to initial report of the Facetime problem.

On January 19th a 14-year-old discovered the initial Facetime flaw when he found he could listen to his friend's iPhone audio before his friend answered his Facetime call.

His mother--a lawyer who recognized the seriousness of the problem--made a video which recorded the steps and demonstrated the problem then attempted to contact anyone at Apple to warn about it.
Quote:
On Friday [the 25th], Apple’s product security team encouraged [the mother] Ms. Thompson, a lawyer, to set up a developer account to send a formal bug report.

It was on the 28th when Apple started its scramble to get its Facetime users to disable the app until an update was issued.
MacAddict4Life posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Quote:

This advice seems bogus to me. If Group FaceTime is disabled, when why would I have any need to disable FaceTime that can only be used in situations where there is no known security concern?

There is a claim that the Facetime flaw can still be replicated despite Group Facetime being disabled.
DEyncourt posted:
Apple was slow to respond to initial report of the Facetime problem.

On January 19th a 14-year-old discovered the initial Facetime flaw when he found he could listen to his friend's iPhone audio before his friend answered his Facetime call.

His mother--a lawyer who recognized the seriousness of the problem--made a video which recorded the steps and demonstrated the problem then attempted to contact anyone at Apple to warn about it.
Quote:
On Friday [the 25th], Apple’s product security team encouraged [the mother] Ms. Thompson, a lawyer, to set up a developer account to send a formal bug report.

It was on the 28th when Apple started its scramble to get its Facetime users to disable the app until an update was issued.

I'm not really surprised. Apple has historically proven that they don't have a very proactive bug program and seems to only deal with certain issues the moment it hits the news.
*sigh* I know they claimed to take a year off to focus on fixing bugs, but it doesn't look like they took that time to do a major overhaul of their development process.

I mean jeez, why the hell does the Facetime app send ANYTHING before answering a call? It's like the code for the caller preview function requires sending a two-way video stream to initiate the data socket or something, in which case has it always been sending video just the recipient device nulls the incoming stream it until the answer flag comes through?
DEyncourt posted:
MacAddict4Life posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Quote:

There is a claim that the Facetime flaw can still be replicated despite Group Facetime being disabled.

There is also a claim we never landed on the moon. Where's the actual evidence?
MacAddict4Life posted:
DEyncourt posted:
MacAddict4Life posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Quote:

There is also a claim we never landed on the moon. Where's the actual evidence?

We don't know the exact cause of this bug and why these very specific conditions causes this to happen
This bug is extremely serious as if it's triggered just as you are in the middle of something confidential or incriminating (like telling a tax advisor your SSN/SIN or having hot and sweaty sex, as a small and not exhaustive list of possibilities)

But sure go about your business not doing anything to safeguard yourself until you have your evidence.
We know the bug is triggered by turning a call into a group call by adding yourself, and we know that all group calling is currently disabled. Claiming that FaceTime should be turned off is nothing but FUD.

Meanwhile FaceTime Audio is encrypted and is definitionally more secure in transit than a regular phone call.
user Stupid cockwomble
::enables facetime::

::furiously::
iDaemon infinitely loopy
There’s an Update for that.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Disable Facetime NOW!