What is this thing?

Online now: Aaron_R, Majestic-12 [Bot]
gd Hero of Twilight
It's made mostly out of wood, it has a wedge piece of wood that fits onto a guide, and under it a sort of iron chisel. No one at home knows what it is. My mom thinks its over a century old and that it is meant for keeping your foot in place while someone cleans your shoes. My sister also thinks that is its purpose.

I think it is some sort of slicer. I can totally see this being used for slicing cheese, or maybe it could be used for fabricating leather belts?

Has anyone seen something like this that could shed some light? Maybe one of the ancients like sturner?

jkahless Custom Title
It's a block plane, used for smoothing wood. That'd quite an old example, it might be worth something to a collector.
jkahless Custom Title
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sandus ... SwnfVeZv00

There might be one more piece, a knob that fits into the hole at front.
jkahless Custom Title
Specifically, it's a coffin plane, named for its shape, not it's use.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Is it weird I knew what that was the instant my eyes laid on it?
dv
Pariah posted:

No. You are a man over 35 who was raised in the midwest.
jkahless Custom Title
Pariah posted:

It would be weird if you didn’t with your background.
gd Hero of Twilight
Thanks! I would have never guessed what it was. So, how is it used?

That restoration video was like ASMR. :awe:
I wonder if removing the patina actually devalued it?
jkahless Custom Title
It would have to be a specific model to be valuable. Like anything, there’s a lot of examples out there, only some are collectables. It’s beautiful regardless.
gd posted:
So, how is it used?

Demo is at the end of the video. The metal blade protrudes a small amount from the bottom and shaves off little layers as you draw it over the wood.
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
gd posted:

Have you ever heard of Google Lens?

It's an app for identifying stuff. You just point and tap, and it will try to tell you what you are looking at.
gd Hero of Twilight
obvs posted:
gd posted:

Have you ever heard of Google Lens?

It's an app for identifying stuff. You just point and tap, and it will try to tell you what you are looking at.

No, I had not heard about it. Good to know it exists! Will try it out in the future.

j_tso posted:
gd posted:
So, how is it used?

Demo is at the end of the video. The metal blade protrudes a small amount from the bottom and shaves off little layers as you draw it over the wood.

Oh, now it makes sense.
dv
How to four-side-square a board with hand tools, including planes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojeul33vXL4

A jointer and a tablesaw are SO worth the money.
jkahless posted:
It's a block plane, used for smoothing wood. That'd quite an old example, it might be worth something to a collector.

Yes, It's look like old Plane. But, there is a blade in Plane. Is n't it ? I don't see a blade in it. Without blade no once can shave wood.
ukimalefu Canadized
melissaazevedo posted:
jkahless posted:

Yes, It's look like old Plane. But, there is a blade in Plane. Is n't it ? I don't see a blade in it. Without blade no once can shave wood.

well, the blade does seem to be missing, so it was a plane.
macnuke Afar
i see the blade.. it's all the same color, but there is one pc metal. in your 3rd picture. it's the bottom pc that's the metal blade. it even has the angle for the sharp edge on it.
ukimalefu Canadized
macnuke posted:
i see the blade.. it's all the same color, but there is one pc metal. in your 3rd picture. it's the bottom pc that's the metal blade. it even has the angle for the sharp edge on it.

oh, I think you're right, in between 2 pieces of wood there seems to be a thinner 3rd piece.
jkahless Custom Title
ukimalefu posted:
macnuke posted:

oh, I think you're right, in between 2 pieces of wood there seems to be a thinner 3rd piece.

There’s two thin pieces of metal stacked on each other, the longer one with the channel cut in it is the blade, the shorter piece on top is the chip breaker.
gd Hero of Twilight
Yes, there is blade that through the years and surface rust has acquired the same color as the wood. It is indeed the thinner metal piece on the third picture.
macnuke Afar
Happy to help.
now when you use it, enjoy it.. it's a wonderful tool that teaches patience.
dv posted:

Yeah but jointers are freaking expensive, sigh
dv
Kirk posted:
dv posted:

Yeah but jointers are freaking expensive, sigh

I got a little used one for like $100 on eBay. Basically a ~25 year old version of this.

Needed some cleaning and new blades but I've gotten some good use out of it.

IMO, for hobby work, used tools are the way to go. I also bought a broken biscuit joiner for $30 and 3D printed the missing plastic bits. So basically I look for any excuse to build a table top.
jkahless Custom Title
Even for pro work, used tools can be great.

Table saws though, I’d go new and buy a stopsaw. They’re expensive, but not as expensive as fingers, and they’re great heavy duty saws.
dv
jkahless posted:
Even for pro work, used tools can be great.

Table saws though, I’d go new and buy a stopsaw. They’re expensive, but not as expensive as fingers, and they’re great heavy duty saws.

If you want to clench your butthole, watch the Aging Wheels guy on Youtube using a table saw.

:worriedfrown:
jkahless Custom Title
Nooooo thank you. Only tool that scares me more is a metal lathe.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
jkahless posted:
Nooooo thank you. Only tool that scares me more is a metal lathe.

Yeah, I will never be able to unsee the picture from Rotten.com of the remains of a lathe operator. You just see an arm dangling from the machine. The rest is wrapped so tightly around the shaft that you can't readily tell what it is.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What is this thing?