Near-crash at San Francisco Airport in 2017

Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
I believe that somewhere on Macstack there is either a thread or at least a post about this 2017 incident but my search-fu has failed me.

In any case, here is an analysis of that incident where a jetliner had been lined up to land on what its pilots had thought was the proper runway but instead was the taxiway for jets to take to get to the end of the runway. There is even this animated GIF taken from a video recording showing what NEARLY happened:

You can see that the landing Air Canada flight nearly hits the Phillipines Airlines jet stopped on the taxiway, with the flying jet's landing lights illuminating the jets on the ground as they get passed. Based on flight data recordings from elsewhere (the "black box" on this flight was erased because there was no crash) it was estimated that the Air Canada flight came within 10 feet of clipping the top of the tail of that Phillipines Airlines aircraft.
TOS
i remember hearing about that ... would have been such a disaster, akin to the canary islands nightmare
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Near-crash at San Francisco Airport in 2017