intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by ukimalefu »

I'd love to believe this is real

But when the say it charges in 4 min 40 seconds... and has a 500 KM range... 0-100 kph in under 3 seconds... the performance, maybe, but all that and charging in under 5 minutes? for a 500 km range? no way. And I think a Tesla model S can do 600 km.

Hard to believe. Allegedly coming in 2021

https://www.piech.com/

It's an European company, not sure exactly where from. Could they be better than that russian company making the electric mustang clone?
juice
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

phallic
sean
Title: Royal Wombat

Post by sean »

Call me crazy if you like, but the Polestar 2 is very near the top of my list of considerations for my next car.

Resident Photoshop Guru & Car Guy
macnuke
Title: Afar

Post by macnuke »

you lost me at $60,000 msrp
There are no illegitimate children...there are illegitimate parents.
TOS

Post by TOS »

sean posted wrote: Call me crazy if you like, but the Polestar 2 is very near the top of my list of considerations for my next car.

same here -- if i could afford it

personally i'm holding out for a vw microbus
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
mmaverick
Title: my steady systematic decline

Post by mmaverick »

TOS posted wrote:
sean posted wrote: Call me crazy if you like, but the Polestar 2 is very near the top of my list of considerations for my next car.

same here -- if i could afford it

personally i'm holding out for a vw microbus

Car and driver is drunk again. No way in hell does that thing sell for $40000 US. If it comes over to NA, I’m guessing it’ll start at at least $45-$50k, and probably be more than that.
This post is not racist.
macnuke
Title: Afar

Re:

Post by macnuke »

macnuke posted wrote: you lost me at $60,000 msrp

^^^^^
There are no illegitimate children...there are illegitimate parents.
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

THE HUMMER IS BACK AS A 350-MILE RANGE ‘ELECTRIC SUPERTRUCK’ THAT CAN DRIVE DIAGONALLY
A $112,000 version will be available in late 2022

I know I'm a fanboy, but I still want Tesla to make a proper all terrain SUV, and the Model X or the Cybertruck ain't it. I'd like something in between those two. Not that I could buy it, but I can dream.
sean
Title: Royal Wombat

Post by sean »

ukimalefu posted wrote:Image

The biggest problem, for me, with the new electric hummer, is that it still looks like a hummer (specifically, an H2). Great for brand identity, but, I always thought those were really damn ugly.

EDIT: Also, anyone who has owned a GM derived convertible will likely agree... I bet you anything those removable roof panels will be prone to leakage.

In that same sort of (stupid expensive) ~$100k-ish price range, I think the Rivian R1S is far better looking inside and out.
Resident Photoshop Guru & Car Guy
Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

One thing that is disappointing about the move to electric is I can already see electrification is going to enable a whole new round of super-sizing vehicles. We already have asphalt crushing behemoths lumbering all over the stick fiddling place and electrics are going to take it to the next level of wastefulness.

Going electric may turn out to deliver many fewer Eco-benifits as we had hoped because, while we will stop burning oil we will be wasting even more resources on vehicle as people keep moving to ever larger and larger rides. Just like we spent the increases in ICE efficiency on greater horsepower instead of greater gas mileage I think consumer preferences are going to end up making EVs much less of a beneficial move and more of a lateral move as far as resources goes.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

One important reason why I like the Tesla model 3, is because it's the smaller one.

Now, if they only made this concept hatchback...

TOS

Post by TOS »

i feel like it would get a boost if it wasn't necessary to retrofit one's house to recharge these things, but i guess that's not possible
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
DEyncourt

Re:

Post by DEyncourt »

TOS posted wrote: i feel like it would get a boost if it wasn't necessary to retrofit one's house to recharge these things, but i guess that's not possible

Do you have a mini-refractory in your garage to refine your own crude oil into gasoline?

Sure, Tesla would prefer to sell you a Powerwall and a solar-charging roof, but like nearly all Tesla owners you would go to a supercharger station to get your Tesla topped off once every few weeks.
juice

Re: Re:

Post by juice »

DEyncourt posted wrote:
TOS posted wrote: i feel like it would get a boost if it wasn't necessary to retrofit one's house to recharge these things, but i guess that's not possible

Do you have a mini-refractory in your garage to refine your own crude oil into gasoline?

Sure, Tesla would prefer to sell you a Powerwall and a solar-charging roof, but like nearly all Tesla owners you would go to a supercharger station to get your Tesla topped off once every few weeks.

The closest one to me is ~90 miles round trip. TOS has a valid point.
TOS

Post by TOS »

DEyncourt posted wrote:

the whole reason to charge at home is because you can't really go to a filling station like you can with ice vehicles
dv

Re:

Post by dv »

Same electrical requirements as a dryer. Average costs have been dropping for a while: a couple hundred bucks for the charging box/cable (unless you have a Tesla, because they use a different connector than LITERALLY EVERYBODY ELSE), and a couple hundred more to have an electrician run a circuit from your electrical panel & mount the thing.*

It's really not a big deal - it's an expense, but it's somewhere in between WeatherTech floor mats and a Yakima roof rack as far as cost.

*And once that's done, it's trivially easy to swap out a new charging box if cable/connector standards change.
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Maybe loads people could re-think their personal transportation wants.
Maybe societies could re-think their personal transportation needs.
But I think the real costs of personal vehicles will always be a profoundly destructive proposition and the dirty politics of the battery will take its place alongside that of oil. I'm also sure we'll have our shiny toys come hell or high water. Because we're progressive.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
TOS

Post by TOS »

Ribtor posted wrote: Maybe loads people could re-think their personal transportation wants.
But I think the real costs of personal vehicles will always be a profoundly destructive proposition and the dirty politics of the battery will take its place alongside that of oil. I'm also sure we'll have our shiny toys come hell or high water. Because we're progressive.

ah yes, blaming the regular folk as usual

elites are just passive pawns of popular will, after all
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

Ribtor posted wrote: Maybe loads people could re-think their personal transportation wants.

We once had a train system that would take you everywhere, from NYC to Monterey Bay, affordably, scenically, with a much lower carbon footprint, and including Martinis. The elites decided they could make more money off of us with everyone driving their own personal vehicles on the new national freeway system.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
TOS

Post by TOS »

Metacell posted wrote:

We once had a train system that would take you everywhere, from NYC to Monterey Bay, affordably, scenically, with a much lower carbon footprint, and including Martinis. The elites decided they could make more money off of us with everyone driving their own personal vehicles on the new national freeway system.

the masses could have gotten together and built a railroad themselves!
Metacell

Post by Metacell »

TOS posted wrote:
Metacell posted wrote:

the masses could have gotten together and built a railroad themselves!

The lazy complacent swine!
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

TOS posted wrote:

I don't know that I have ever written anything to the effect that elites are passive pawns of popular will. Certainly not a thing I believe. The opposite; I believe we are subject to desires presented as 'choices' by the so called elite. But we are willing pawns. That's our failure. We can't claim our innocence from ignorance.

Corporations will present a variety of wasteful products for you to drool over. And children, alongside their elders will climb through dirt to get at the minerals you require. And if the subject of the dirty realities of batteries comes up I think you can be counted on to deflect. Not just you. Just about all the 'enlightened progressives' will help out.
TOS

Post by TOS »

Ribtor posted wrote:
TOS posted wrote:

I don't know that I have ever written anything to the effect that elites are passive pawns of popular will. Certainly not a thing I believe. The opposite; I believe we are subject to desires presented as 'choices' by the so called elite. But we are willing pawns. That's our failure. We can't claim our innocence from ignorance.

Corporations will present a variety of wasteful products for you to drool over. And children, alongside their elders will climb through dirt to get at the minerals you require. And if the subject of the dirty realities of batteries comes up I think you can be counted on to deflect. Not just you. Just about all the 'enlightened progressives' will help out.

i bet you don't even think you're contradicting yourself
Metacell

Post by Metacell »

Before "the people" can make free choices, "the people above them" must be permanently removed from power.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

I bought a 2021 Prius Prime yesterday. It plugs into any good old 120VAC Outlet. Though there is a special extension cord you need for home usage which monitors the charging and has that Special handle on it for the car connection. Charging time at full power is a bit over 5 hours if completely drained. In EV mode that’s about 25 miles. Longer drives automatically switch to hybrid mode. In hybrid mode these new Priuses get about 55 mpg. If your house wiring is weak, you can reduce the charging amperage to help avoid burning the house down.
< edit > Being careful I got 45 miles in EV mode today
Last edited by Kirk on Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

The federal government really needs to bring back the EV subsidies. As it is, the initial cost is high enough to make ICE vehicles the standard. Sure, you recoup that over the life of the car, but if you can't afford the up-front cost, that is a moot issue.
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Metacell posted wrote: Before "the people" can make free choices, "the people above them" must be permanently removed from power.

"Before"?

No possibility of informed individuals behaving ethically despite, or even to spite (should we feel strongly enough), the wishes of those in power?

It seems to me that the best way to remove those in power would be for us to behave ethically in our consumption. It would be a win-win!
Metacell

Post by Metacell »

Ribtor posted wrote:
Metacell posted wrote: Before "the people" can make free choices, "the people above them" must be permanently removed from power.

"Before"?

No possibility of informed individuals behaving ethically despite, or even to spite (should we feel strongly enough), the wishes of those in power?

It seems to me that the best way to remove those in power would be for us to behave ethically in our consumption. It would be a win-win!

I can ride my bicycle and eat soyburgers all I want, research indicates that the majority of people do what wealthy marketers pay billions into manipulating them to do.

In many parts of the USA, your options are severely limited without a car. And I think we can categorically say that we Americans do not make ethical, informed choices.
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

TOS

Post by TOS »

Metacell posted wrote:
Ribtor posted wrote:

"Before"?

I can ride my bicycle and eat soyburgers all I want, research indicates that the majority of people do what wealthy marketers pay billions into manipulating them to do.

In many parts of the USA, your options are severely limited without a car. And I think we can categorically say that we Americans do not make ethical, informed choices.

ask him to provide some numbers and data, it's kind of fun
TOS

Post by TOS »

gm has agreed to reopen its huge factory in oshawa (just outside toronto) ... the shutdown was devastating to the community

General Motors GM recently announced that its workers in Canada, represented by Unifor, have agreed to a new three-year collective agreement between the union body and the company.The deal encompasses General Motors’ investment to the tune of $1.3 billion, creating 1,700 jobs in the Oshawa plant. More than $109 million will be invested to facilitate V-8 engine and transmission production in St. Catharines.The Oshawa plant will resume production of both light and heavy-duty trucks in 2022, and St. Catharines will manufacture engines for those pick-ups.Unifor’s deal with General Motors marks the third consecutive win for the union body after it struck similar deals with Ford and Fiat Chrysler.

initially there reports that evs would be built at that factory, but they're going with big ol' ice motors
Pariah

Re:

Post by Pariah »

TOS posted wrote: gm has agreed to reopen its huge factory in oshawa (just outside toronto) ... the shutdown was devastating to the community

General Motors GM recently announced that its workers in Canada, represented by Unifor, have agreed to a new three-year collective agreement between the union body and the company.The deal encompasses General Motors’ investment to the tune of $1.3 billion, creating 1,700 jobs in the Oshawa plant. More than $109 million will be invested to facilitate V-8 engine and transmission production in St. Catharines.The Oshawa plant will resume production of both light and heavy-duty trucks in 2022, and St. Catharines will manufacture engines for those pick-ups.Unifor’s deal with General Motors marks the third consecutive win for the union body after it struck similar deals with Ford and Fiat Chrysler.

initially there reports that evs would be built at that factory, but they're going with big ol' ice motors

I'd bet a dollar that pickup trucks are the very last vehicles that will be built with ICE engines assuming ICE are not outlawed before that.
I'd bet another dollar on big Diesel pickups will remain in demand longer than gas V8 will and most of those will be bough by dentists and accountants.
dv

Post by dv »

Pariah posted wrote:
TOS posted wrote: gm has agreed to reopen its huge factory in oshawa (just outside toronto) ... the shutdown was devastating to the community

I'd bet a dollar that pickup trucks are the very last vehicles that will be built with ICE engines assuming ICE are not outlawed before that.
I'd bet another dollar on big Diesel pickups will remain in demand longer than gas V8 will and most of those will be bough by dentists and accountants.

"Just in case I have to tow my [tiny-ass] boat."
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

dv posted wrote:
Pariah posted wrote:

"Just in case I have to tow my [tiny-ass] boat."

There is a significant minority of men that are way the hell more emotionally invested in the sound and smoke of an ICE than they should be.
juice

Post by juice »

something something penile compensation
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Alexander Supertramp
Title: this was uncalled for.

Post by Alexander Supertramp »

lol