Electric cars are the future

How's life?
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33119
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Post by DukeofNuke »

"Batteries sold separately"
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 43431
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by ukimalefu »

I'd love to believe this is real

Image
Image
Image
Image

But when the say it charges in 4 min 40 seconds... and has a 500 KM range... 0-100 kph in under 3 seconds... the performance, maybe, but all that and charging in under 5 minutes? for a 500 km range? no way. And I think a Tesla model S can do 600 km.

Hard to believe. Allegedly coming in 2021

https://www.piech.com/

It's an European company, not sure exactly where from. Could they be better than that russian company making the electric mustang clone?
User avatar
juice
Posts: 11868
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:26 am
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

phallic
User avatar
sean
Posts: 5640
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:06 pm
Title: Royal Wombat
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by sean »

Call me crazy if you like, but the Polestar 2 is very near the top of my list of considerations for my next car.

Image
Resident Photoshop Guru & Car Guy
User avatar
macnuke
Posts: 6051
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:32 am
Title: Afar
Location: watching you

Post by macnuke »

you lost me at $60,000 msrp
There are no illegitimate children...there are illegitimate parents.
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 38996
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by TOS »

sean posted wrote: Call me crazy if you like, but the Polestar 2 is very near the top of my list of considerations for my next car.

Image


same here -- if i could afford it

personally i'm holding out for a vw microbus
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
mmaverick
Posts: 8966
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:45 pm
Title: my steady systematic decline
Location: BC

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by mmaverick »

TOS posted wrote:
sean posted wrote: Call me crazy if you like, but the Polestar 2 is very near the top of my list of considerations for my next car.

Image


same here -- if i could afford it

personally i'm holding out for a vw microbus



Car and driver is drunk again. No way in hell does that thing sell for $40000 US. If it comes over to NA, I’m guessing it’ll start at at least $45-$50k, and probably be more than that.
This post is not racist.
User avatar
macnuke
Posts: 6051
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:32 am
Title: Afar
Location: watching you

Re:

Post by macnuke »

macnuke posted wrote: you lost me at $60,000 msrp

^^^^^
There are no illegitimate children...there are illegitimate parents.
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 43431
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by ukimalefu »

THE HUMMER IS BACK AS A 350-MILE RANGE ‘ELECTRIC SUPERTRUCK’ THAT CAN DRIVE DIAGONALLY
A $112,000 version will be available in late 2022


Image

Image

I know I'm a fanboy, but I still want Tesla to make a proper all terrain SUV, and the Model X or the Cybertruck ain't it. I'd like something in between those two. Not that I could buy it, but I can dream.
User avatar
sean
Posts: 5640
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:06 pm
Title: Royal Wombat
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by sean »

ukimalefu posted wrote:Image


The biggest problem, for me, with the new electric hummer, is that it still looks like a hummer (specifically, an H2). Great for brand identity, but, I always thought those were really damn ugly.

EDIT: Also, anyone who has owned a GM derived convertible will likely agree... I bet you anything those removable roof panels will be prone to leakage.

In that same sort of (stupid expensive) ~$100k-ish price range, I think the Rivian R1S is far better looking inside and out.
Image
Resident Photoshop Guru & Car Guy
User avatar
Pariah
Posts: 22580
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

One thing that is disappointing about the move to electric is I can already see electrification is going to enable a whole new round of super-sizing vehicles. We already have asphalt crushing behemoths lumbering all over the stick fiddling place and electrics are going to take it to the next level of wastefulness.

Going electric may turn out to deliver many fewer Eco-benifits as we had hoped because, while we will stop burning oil we will be wasting even more resources on vehicle as people keep moving to ever larger and larger rides. Just like we spent the increases in ICE efficiency on greater horsepower instead of greater gas mileage I think consumer preferences are going to end up making EVs much less of a beneficial move and more of a lateral move as far as resources goes.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 43431
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

One important reason why I like the Tesla model 3, is because it's the smaller one.

Now, if they only made this concept hatchback...

Image
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 38996
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

i feel like it would get a boost if it wasn't necessary to retrofit one's house to recharge these things, but i guess that's not possible
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
DEyncourt
Posts: 17332
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:38 am

Re:

Post by DEyncourt »

TOS posted wrote: i feel like it would get a boost if it wasn't necessary to retrofit one's house to recharge these things, but i guess that's not possible

Do you have a mini-refractory in your garage to refine your own crude oil into gasoline?

Sure, Tesla would prefer to sell you a Powerwall and a solar-charging roof, but like nearly all Tesla owners you would go to a supercharger station to get your Tesla topped off once every few weeks.
User avatar
juice
Posts: 11868
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:26 am
Title: Inadvertently correct

Re: Re:

Post by juice »

DEyncourt posted wrote:
TOS posted wrote: i feel like it would get a boost if it wasn't necessary to retrofit one's house to recharge these things, but i guess that's not possible

Do you have a mini-refractory in your garage to refine your own crude oil into gasoline?

Sure, Tesla would prefer to sell you a Powerwall and a solar-charging roof, but like nearly all Tesla owners you would go to a supercharger station to get your Tesla topped off once every few weeks.

The closest one to me is ~90 miles round trip. TOS has a valid point.
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 38996
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Re: Re:

Post by TOS »

DEyncourt posted wrote:
TOS posted wrote: i feel like it would get a boost if it wasn't necessary to retrofit one's house to recharge these things, but i guess that's not possible

Do you have a mini-refractory in your garage to refine your own crude oil into gasoline?

Sure, Tesla would prefer to sell you a Powerwall and a solar-charging roof, but like nearly all Tesla owners you would go to a supercharger station to get your Tesla topped off once every few weeks.


the whole reason to charge at home is because you can't really go to a filling station like you can with ice vehicles
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
dv
Posts: 30617
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Re:

Post by dv »

TOS posted wrote: i feel like it would get a boost if it wasn't necessary to retrofit one's house to recharge these things, but i guess that's not possible


Same electrical requirements as a dryer. Average costs have been dropping for a while: a couple hundred bucks for the charging box/cable (unless you have a Tesla, because they use a different connector than LITERALLY EVERYBODY ELSE), and a couple hundred more to have an electrician run a circuit from your electrical panel & mount the thing.*

It's really not a big deal - it's an expense, but it's somewhere in between WeatherTech floor mats and a Yakima roof rack as far as cost.

*And once that's done, it's trivially easy to swap out a new charging box if cable/connector standards change.
Image
User avatar
Ribtor
Posts: 9303
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by Ribtor »

Maybe loads people could re-think their personal transportation wants.
Maybe societies could re-think their personal transportation needs.
But I think the real costs of personal vehicles will always be a profoundly destructive proposition and the dirty politics of the battery will take its place alongside that of oil. I'm also sure we'll have our shiny toys come hell or high water. Because we're progressive.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 38996
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by TOS »

Ribtor posted wrote: Maybe loads people could re-think their personal transportation wants.
Maybe societies could re-think their personal transportation needs.
But I think the real costs of personal vehicles will always be a profoundly destructive proposition and the dirty politics of the battery will take its place alongside that of oil. I'm also sure we'll have our shiny toys come hell or high water. Because we're progressive.


ah yes, blaming the regular folk as usual

elites are just passive pawns of popular will, after all
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11003
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by Metacell »

Ribtor posted wrote: Maybe loads people could re-think their personal transportation wants.
Maybe societies could re-think their personal transportation needs.
But I think the real costs of personal vehicles will always be a profoundly destructive proposition and the dirty politics of the battery will take its place alongside that of oil. I'm also sure we'll have our shiny toys come hell or high water. Because we're progressive.

We once had a train system that would take you everywhere, from NYC to Monterey Bay, affordably, scenically, with a much lower carbon footprint, and including Martinis. The elites decided they could make more money off of us with everyone driving their own personal vehicles on the new national freeway system.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 38996
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by TOS »

Metacell posted wrote:
Ribtor posted wrote: Maybe loads people could re-think their personal transportation wants.
Maybe societies could re-think their personal transportation needs.
But I think the real costs of personal vehicles will always be a profoundly destructive proposition and the dirty politics of the battery will take its place alongside that of oil. I'm also sure we'll have our shiny toys come hell or high water. Because we're progressive.

We once had a train system that would take you everywhere, from NYC to Monterey Bay, affordably, scenically, with a much lower carbon footprint, and including Martinis. The elites decided they could make more money off of us with everyone driving their own personal vehicles on the new national freeway system.


the masses could have gotten together and built a railroad themselves!
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11003
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by Metacell »

TOS posted wrote:
Metacell posted wrote:
Ribtor posted wrote: Maybe loads people could re-think their personal transportation wants.
Maybe societies could re-think their personal transportation needs.
But I think the real costs of personal vehicles will always be a profoundly destructive proposition and the dirty politics of the battery will take its place alongside that of oil. I'm also sure we'll have our shiny toys come hell or high water. Because we're progressive.

We once had a train system that would take you everywhere, from NYC to Monterey Bay, affordably, scenically, with a much lower carbon footprint, and including Martinis. The elites decided they could make more money off of us with everyone driving their own personal vehicles on the new national freeway system.


the masses could have gotten together and built a railroad themselves!

The lazy complacent swine!
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
Ribtor
Posts: 9303
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by Ribtor »

TOS posted wrote:
Ribtor posted wrote: Maybe loads people could re-think their personal transportation wants.
Maybe societies could re-think their personal transportation needs.
But I think the real costs of personal vehicles will always be a profoundly destructive proposition and the dirty politics of the battery will take its place alongside that of oil. I'm also sure we'll have our shiny toys come hell or high water. Because we're progressive.


ah yes, blaming the regular folk as usual

elites are just passive pawns of popular will, after all


I don't know that I have ever written anything to the effect that elites are passive pawns of popular will. Certainly not a thing I believe. The opposite; I believe we are subject to desires presented as 'choices' by the so called elite. But we are willing pawns. That's our failure. We can't claim our innocence from ignorance.

Corporations will present a variety of wasteful products for you to drool over. And children, alongside their elders will climb through dirt to get at the minerals you require. And if the subject of the dirty realities of batteries comes up I think you can be counted on to deflect. Not just you. Just about all the 'enlightened progressives' will help out.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 38996
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by TOS »

Ribtor posted wrote:
TOS posted wrote:
Ribtor posted wrote: Maybe loads people could re-think their personal transportation wants.
Maybe societies could re-think their personal transportation needs.
But I think the real costs of personal vehicles will always be a profoundly destructive proposition and the dirty politics of the battery will take its place alongside that of oil. I'm also sure we'll have our shiny toys come hell or high water. Because we're progressive.


ah yes, blaming the regular folk as usual

elites are just passive pawns of popular will, after all


I don't know that I have ever written anything to the effect that elites are passive pawns of popular will. Certainly not a thing I believe. The opposite; I believe we are subject to desires presented as 'choices' by the so called elite. But we are willing pawns. That's our failure. We can't claim our innocence from ignorance.

Corporations will present a variety of wasteful products for you to drool over. And children, alongside their elders will climb through dirt to get at the minerals you require. And if the subject of the dirty realities of batteries comes up I think you can be counted on to deflect. Not just you. Just about all the 'enlightened progressives' will help out.


i bet you don't even think you're contradicting yourself
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11003
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by Metacell »

Before "the people" can make free choices, "the people above them" must be permanently removed from power.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
Kirk
Posts: 25939
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:09 pm
Location: SLO

Post by Kirk »

I bought a 2021 Prius Prime yesterday. It plugs into any good old 120VAC Outlet. Though there is a special extension cord you need for home usage which monitors the charging and has that Special handle on it for the car connection. Charging time at full power is a bit over 5 hours if completely drained. In EV mode that’s about 25 miles. Longer drives automatically switch to hybrid mode. In hybrid mode these new Priuses get about 55 mpg. If your house wiring is weak, you can reduce the charging amperage to help avoid burning the house down.
< edit > Being careful I got 45 miles in EV mode today
Last edited by Kirk on Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
maurvir
Posts: 25037
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:13 pm
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by maurvir »

The federal government really needs to bring back the EV subsidies. As it is, the initial cost is high enough to make ICE vehicles the standard. Sure, you recoup that over the life of the car, but if you can't afford the up-front cost, that is a moot issue.
User avatar
Ribtor
Posts: 9303
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by Ribtor »

Metacell posted wrote: Before "the people" can make free choices, "the people above them" must be permanently removed from power.


"Before"?

No possibility of informed individuals behaving ethically despite, or even to spite (should we feel strongly enough), the wishes of those in power?

It seems to me that the best way to remove those in power would be for us to behave ethically in our consumption. It would be a win-win!
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11003
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by Metacell »

Ribtor posted wrote:
Metacell posted wrote: Before "the people" can make free choices, "the people above them" must be permanently removed from power.


"Before"?

No possibility of informed individuals behaving ethically despite, or even to spite (should we feel strongly enough), the wishes of those in power?

It seems to me that the best way to remove those in power would be for us to behave ethically in our consumption. It would be a win-win!

I can ride my bicycle and eat soyburgers all I want, research indicates that the majority of people do what wealthy marketers pay billions into manipulating them to do.

In many parts of the USA, your options are severely limited without a car. And I think we can categorically say that we Americans do not make ethical, informed choices.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 43431
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by ukimalefu »

User avatar
TOS
Posts: 38996
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by TOS »

Metacell posted wrote:
Ribtor posted wrote:
Metacell posted wrote: Before "the people" can make free choices, "the people above them" must be permanently removed from power.


"Before"?

No possibility of informed individuals behaving ethically despite, or even to spite (should we feel strongly enough), the wishes of those in power?

It seems to me that the best way to remove those in power would be for us to behave ethically in our consumption. It would be a win-win!

I can ride my bicycle and eat soyburgers all I want, research indicates that the majority of people do what wealthy marketers pay billions into manipulating them to do.

In many parts of the USA, your options are severely limited without a car. And I think we can categorically say that we Americans do not make ethical, informed choices.


ask him to provide some numbers and data, it's kind of fun
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
TOS
Posts: 38996
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Post by TOS »

gm has agreed to reopen its huge factory in oshawa (just outside toronto) ... the shutdown was devastating to the community

General Motors GM recently announced that its workers in Canada, represented by Unifor, have agreed to a new three-year collective agreement between the union body and the company.The deal encompasses General Motors’ investment to the tune of $1.3 billion, creating 1,700 jobs in the Oshawa plant. More than $109 million will be invested to facilitate V-8 engine and transmission production in St. Catharines.The Oshawa plant will resume production of both light and heavy-duty trucks in 2022, and St. Catharines will manufacture engines for those pick-ups.Unifor’s deal with General Motors marks the third consecutive win for the union body after it struck similar deals with Ford and Fiat Chrysler.


initially there reports that evs would be built at that factory, but they're going with big ol' ice motors
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
User avatar
Pariah
Posts: 22580
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Title: Know Your Enemy

Re:

Post by Pariah »

TOS posted wrote: gm has agreed to reopen its huge factory in oshawa (just outside toronto) ... the shutdown was devastating to the community

General Motors GM recently announced that its workers in Canada, represented by Unifor, have agreed to a new three-year collective agreement between the union body and the company.The deal encompasses General Motors’ investment to the tune of $1.3 billion, creating 1,700 jobs in the Oshawa plant. More than $109 million will be invested to facilitate V-8 engine and transmission production in St. Catharines.The Oshawa plant will resume production of both light and heavy-duty trucks in 2022, and St. Catharines will manufacture engines for those pick-ups.Unifor’s deal with General Motors marks the third consecutive win for the union body after it struck similar deals with Ford and Fiat Chrysler.


initially there reports that evs would be built at that factory, but they're going with big ol' ice motors

I'd bet a dollar that pickup trucks are the very last vehicles that will be built with ICE engines assuming ICE are not outlawed before that.
I'd bet another dollar on big Diesel pickups will remain in demand longer than gas V8 will and most of those will be bough by dentists and accountants.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
User avatar
dv
Posts: 30617
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Re: Re:

Post by dv »

Pariah posted wrote:
TOS posted wrote: gm has agreed to reopen its huge factory in oshawa (just outside toronto) ... the shutdown was devastating to the community

General Motors GM recently announced that its workers in Canada, represented by Unifor, have agreed to a new three-year collective agreement between the union body and the company.The deal encompasses General Motors’ investment to the tune of $1.3 billion, creating 1,700 jobs in the Oshawa plant. More than $109 million will be invested to facilitate V-8 engine and transmission production in St. Catharines.The Oshawa plant will resume production of both light and heavy-duty trucks in 2022, and St. Catharines will manufacture engines for those pick-ups.Unifor’s deal with General Motors marks the third consecutive win for the union body after it struck similar deals with Ford and Fiat Chrysler.


initially there reports that evs would be built at that factory, but they're going with big ol' ice motors

I'd bet a dollar that pickup trucks are the very last vehicles that will be built with ICE engines assuming ICE are not outlawed before that.
I'd bet another dollar on big Diesel pickups will remain in demand longer than gas V8 will and most of those will be bough by dentists and accountants.


"Just in case I have to tow my [tiny-ass] boat."
Image
User avatar
Pariah
Posts: 22580
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:45 pm
Title: Know Your Enemy

Re: Re:

Post by Pariah »

dv posted wrote:
Pariah posted wrote:
TOS posted wrote: gm has agreed to reopen its huge factory in oshawa (just outside toronto) ... the shutdown was devastating to the community

General Motors GM recently announced that its workers in Canada, represented by Unifor, have agreed to a new three-year collective agreement between the union body and the company.The deal encompasses General Motors’ investment to the tune of $1.3 billion, creating 1,700 jobs in the Oshawa plant. More than $109 million will be invested to facilitate V-8 engine and transmission production in St. Catharines.The Oshawa plant will resume production of both light and heavy-duty trucks in 2022, and St. Catharines will manufacture engines for those pick-ups.Unifor’s deal with General Motors marks the third consecutive win for the union body after it struck similar deals with Ford and Fiat Chrysler.


initially there reports that evs would be built at that factory, but they're going with big ol' ice motors

I'd bet a dollar that pickup trucks are the very last vehicles that will be built with ICE engines assuming ICE are not outlawed before that.
I'd bet another dollar on big Diesel pickups will remain in demand longer than gas V8 will and most of those will be bough by dentists and accountants.


"Just in case I have to tow my [tiny-ass] boat."

There is a significant minority of men that are way the hell more emotionally invested in the sound and smoke of an ICE than they should be.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
User avatar
juice
Posts: 11868
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:26 am
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

something something penile compensation
User avatar
Ribtor
Posts: 9303
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by Ribtor »

Image
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
User avatar
Alexander Supertramp
Posts: 7930
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:38 pm
Title: this was uncalled for.

Post by Alexander Supertramp »

lol
The visuals don't hold up.
User avatar
dv
Posts: 30617
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Post by dv »

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the President of the United States of America."
Image
Post Reply