Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
Online now: Google [Bot], macaddict4life, maurvir
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
obvs posted:
I went back and bought identical LEGO sets to the ones I had when I was a kid.

:love:
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Electric Hummer, delayed by the pandemic, but still in production, due in 2021

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/29/2124 ... s-pandemic

I don't remember hearing about it before. Anyway, I believe some people will buy it, but Hummer fans will hate it.

I'd like something like a Tesla model Y with improved off-road capabilities. That is, a small SUV, with a bit more power maybe, a bit higher ground clearance, a bit better shock absorbers, and all terrain tires.
dv
ukimalefu posted:

I don't remember hearing about it before. Anyway, I believe some people will buy it, but Hummer fans will hate it.

I'd like something like a Tesla model Y with improved off-road capabilities. That is, a small SUV, with a bit more power maybe, a bit higher ground clearance, a bit better shock absorbers, and all terrain tires.

Like a Jeep Wrangler.

Except that if you thought Hummer fans were nuts, you haven't met Jeep Guys. An EV Wrangler would probably cause a small civil war.
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

the model y is really not suvish, it's just big

anyway i suspect people might start turning against tesla if elon keeps up his human waste on twitter
TOS posted:

the model y is really not suvish, it's just big

Looks like a mini model X to me, but ok.

But whatever a small elctric SUV is what I'd prefer. Maybe based on the model Y or whatever.

Quote:
anyway i suspect people might start turning against tesla if elon keeps up his human waste on twitter

Yeah... he shouldn't forget he almost got fired once.

Let him make electric cars and rockets, he's proven he can do that. Do NOT elect him for a government office, or let him be your doctor.
Lombo Opiofiend
That is atrocious!
macnuke Afar
i wanna go back in time now
The future I tell ya!

1996, GM's EV1 electric car
TOS
ev truck maker still gung-ho despite covid

Quote:
It is a light-weight, all-wheel-drive vehicle. Four in-wheel computerized motors propel it. If a front right in-wheel motor malfunctions, the front left wheel's motor will turn off automatically, allowing the driver to get home using rear-wheel drive, Burns said.

"So a typical gasoline drive-train has well over 1,000 parts. When you look at it that way it’s very prehistoric, it’s essentially a Model T," Burns said. "We have four moving parts. It looks like a pickup truck on the outside, but underneath it’s electric vehicle 2.0.”

And with no engine in the front, pickup drivers finally have what Burns calls, "a frunk — a front trunk."

The Endurance gets about 250 miles per charge, plenty for the average fleet driver who travels within a 60-mile area per day, Burns said.

juice Inadvertently correct
I hope they’re successful. I’d love an electric version of my 2000 Ranger.
sean Royal Wombat
juice posted:
I hope they’re successful. I’d love an electric version of my 2000 Ranger.

Did you know that Ford made a Ranger EV in the late 90s? It was mostly experimental, and they only made a small number. They were powered by a bank of either lead acid or NiMH batteries, under the truck bed.

maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
TOS posted:
ev truck maker still gung-ho despite covid

Quote:
It is a light-weight, all-wheel-drive vehicle. Four in-wheel computerized motors propel it. If a front right in-wheel motor malfunctions, the front left wheel's motor will turn off automatically, allowing the driver to get home using rear-wheel drive, Burns said.

"So a typical gasoline drive-train has well over 1,000 parts. When you look at it that way it’s very prehistoric, it’s essentially a Model T," Burns said. "We have four moving parts. It looks like a pickup truck on the outside, but underneath it’s electric vehicle 2.0.”

And with no engine in the front, pickup drivers finally have what Burns calls, "a frunk — a front trunk."

The Endurance gets about 250 miles per charge, plenty for the average fleet driver who travels within a 60-mile area per day, Burns said.

I would *love* this truck. :love:
macnuke Afar
my round trips to work and back are about 130 miles...3-4x week.
I would so have that in my drive for a daily beast
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Unboxing the cheapest car for sale on Alibaba

https://jalopnik.com/unboxing-the-world ... KnhRgKf6qg

This guy is WAAAY too excited about this ...
dv
Filled the gas tank yesterday. I've used 13 gallons since March 17th.

Maybe telecommuting will be the answer for some people.
California Will Require Most Trucks Sold in the State to be Electric by 2035

Quote:
The California Air Resources Board is set to approve the proposal to make zero-emission trucks a reality. The rule would require that auto manufacturers increase the proportion of zero-emission trucks in their sales to California from 2024 to 2035. By 2035, the state wants 55 percent of the sales from light- and medium-duty trucks to be electric. As for heavier trucks, manufacturers need to clean up 75 percent of their sales by 2035.

Personally, I would like to see electric cars/vehicle all over the world. On that day, our mother nature will be more happy than now and we will be breathing fresher air which is free of fumes than now
TOS
TOS posted:

This looks more like a dot-com style bubble valuing on potential rather than any deliverable metric.
Norway has switched to electric cars. And in their cities you can breathe cleaner air than ever

Quote:
Norway is the only country on the planet where the electric car is more realistic. About 40% of new vehicles registered last year were electric, and the percentage could soon exceed 60%. Its success stems from various factors, ranging from tax exemptions to the unique economic buoyancy of its citizens.

Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:
Norway has switched to electric cars. And in their cities you can breathe cleaner air than ever

Quote:
Norway is the only country on the planet where the electric car is more realistic. About 40% of new vehicles registered last year were electric, and the percentage could soon exceed 60%. Its success stems from various factors, ranging from tax exemptions to the unique economic buoyancy of its citizens.

The Irony here is that Norway owes its great wealth to their vast oil reserves.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I thought it was from pillaging.
Metacell posted:

Why not both?

Also, that reminds me of Par’s great joke about how he likes to celebrate St Patrick’s Day.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
juice posted:
Metacell posted:

Why not both?

Also, that reminds me of Par’s great joke about how he likes to celebrate St Patrick’s Day.

:love:
TOS
juice posted:
TOS posted:

This looks more like a dot-com style bubble valuing on potential rather than any deliverable metric.

i dunno, the entire auto sector is taking them very, very seriously
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
juice posted:
TOS posted:

There is great potential in Tesla but their crazy valuation is as much about our aristocrat class has so stick fiddling much money that they are just throwing it around with abandon. 40 years of wage theft have made them rich even beyond their own imagining.

Not sure if the front is just ugly or it's the contrast. Maybe a different color combination would look better?

NISSAN ARIYA ELECTRIC CROSSOVER SUV UNVEILED WITH UP TO 300 MILES OF RANGE
jkahless Custom Title
Seems about right for this year.
TOS
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:
juice posted:
TOS posted:

There is great potential in Tesla but their crazy valuation is as much about our aristocrat class has so stick fiddling much money that they are just throwing it around with abandon. 40 years of wage theft have made them rich even beyond their own imagining.

they're the only mainstream automaker that can't produce enough cars to meet demand, no matter how quickly they expand production

that's not pie-in-the-sky, that's actual demand
TOS
TOS posted:

It'll pass anything but a charging station.
Tesla turns a profit for the fourth quarter in a row

Quote:
Tesla turned a profit of $104 million in the second quarter of 2020 despite shutting down its electric vehicle factory in Fremont, California, for roughly seven weeks because of the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, Tesla has now been profitable for four straight quarters for the first time in company history — an elusive benchmark the company has long sought.

But perhaps more importantly, Tesla says it has a “site selected” for its next Gigafactory in the US. During a call with investors, Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced the factory would be located in Austin, Texas. He described it as an “ecological paradise... with birds in the trees, butterflies, fish in the stream.” The factory will also be open to the public, he said.

Good for Tesla and for the electric cars market, I'd say.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I am curious whether tech companies have any trouble getting skilled people to move from California to Texas.
dv
Pariah posted:
I am curious whether tech companies have any trouble getting skilled people to move from California to Texas.

They don't need to. There are skilled people everywhere.
Pariah posted:

They don't. Even unskilled Californians are all over the place here.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
In Austin, definitely.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23