Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Online now: Google [Bot]
Pariah Know Your Enemy
maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Oooh, that Hyundai is actually called "the Prophecy".

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/3/21162 ... -show-2020

I think it looks great. But I definitely want an actual mechanical steering wheel, and brakes. I'm happy to let a computer drive, but at least let the last resort/failsafe be me.

I can certainly understand that feeling, but the fact is, most modern cars are "drive by wire" already - the pedals are just sensors to the computer. If it makes you feel any better, most modern jets are the same way now. There is no mechanical linkage between the cockpit and anything else.

Ya, but the thing is a steering wheel or equivalent solves all the "last 100 yard" problems self driving cars face.
Imagine you are going to a rural farmers market and the parking in in a field adjacent to the market and where you park is determined by people pointing to where you need to go.
juice Inadvertently correct
Pariah posted:
maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Oooh, that Hyundai is actually called "the Prophecy".

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/3/21162 ... -show-2020

I think it looks great. But I definitely want an actual mechanical steering wheel, and brakes. I'm happy to let a computer drive, but at least let the last resort/failsafe be me.

I can certainly understand that feeling, but the fact is, most modern cars are "drive by wire" already - the pedals are just sensors to the computer. If it makes you feel any better, most modern jets are the same way now. There is no mechanical linkage between the cockpit and anything else.

Ya, but the thing is a steering wheel or equivalent solves all the "last 100 yard" problems self driving cars face.
Imagine you are going to a rural farmers market and the parking in in a field adjacent to the market and where you park is determined by people pointing to where you need to go.

This is not limited to a rural issue. Parking at Major League baseball games (KC Royals is one example) are sometimes handled this way as well.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Betonhaus posted:

I think that name is a mistake. Ford is not being wise risking diluting the very, very valuable mustang brand.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

I think that name is a mistake. Ford is not being wise risking diluting the very, very valuable mustang brand.

You’re not wrong, but whatever the name of it, it is an intriguing vehicle.
They've been cavalier with the Mustang brand before. Remember the late 70s?
juice posted:

No, because I’m not super old and it’s illegal to look at cars that are older than you.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
juice posted:

The 70's were dark years for American cars in general.
Pariah posted:
Betonhaus posted:

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they are starting a naming restructure like Toyota and Prius. The Ford name goes to trucks and SUVs, and the Mustang name is for their performance car lines.
TOS
i don't understand why they called it a mustang in the first place ... what does it have in common with the established brand?
horsepower and fun to drive? What else do you need?
TOS
so that's it? is a ferrari a mustang? is a fiat 500? how about a fiesta?
According to my aunt that knows nothing about cars, yes.

I can't tell you what things would be like in a perfect world, I can just guess at what the marketing teams of the world are possibly thinking about doing next.

If enougt people protest, they may rebrand it. If people like it, they may branch out the performance line under that name. Maybe even bring back the Fiesta ST and Focus RS as a Mustang model.

... Rejiggeting the Mustang into a Hatchback model does seem plausible and could unify the platform enough to justify bringing an RS equivalent back to the states. The performance models of the Focus and Fiesta did outsell the base models at the end.
TOS
so in other words you have no clue what you're talking about but still feel the need to comment, as per usual
And that there is the pot calling the kettle black.
TOS posted:
i don't understand why they called it a mustang in the first place ... what does it have in common with the established brand?

If you’re actually curious.

https://youtu.be/KOu_gOI9u88
Lombo Opiofiend
Betonhaus posted:
And that there is the pot calling the kettle black.

Potato, Potahto.
TOS
aka "i know you are but what am i?"
Lombo Opiofiend
Mashed or Fried ?
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Cars are all the same and none of them are important. Except the Batmobile, of course.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I tried reading about this new Mustang SUV but every-time I try to read about anything SUV related I fall into a stupor of profound indifference.
ukimalefu Canadized
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu Canadized
Pariah posted:
ukimalefu posted:

While the bubble holds.

yeah, there's that, but when did you think an electric car company would ever be in that position?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:
Pariah posted:
ukimalefu posted:

While the bubble holds.

yeah, there's that, but when did you think an electric car company would ever be in that position?

I am not very surprised. Market "value" is all about potential growth and Tesla, still being relatively small and new has vast growth potential but, even with that, the valuation of Tesla is not based on sound economic analysis.
Tesla's P/E ratio is incredibly out of wack.
TOS
it's an electric motorcycle

and that's actual wood, and they ain't cheap https://www.newronmotors.com/

Pariah Know Your Enemy
That is some bold styling, that's for sure. I assume the wood is not load bearing.
ukimalefu Canadized

"for ladies and physicians"... uh... ok?

*ahem*

And then Mr Benz and Mr Ford started big auto and we had to wait 100 years for electric cars to be a thing.

Part of the previous statement is a joke... maybe.
jkahless Custom Title
Electric motors were practical before ICEs, but the battery tech has only just gotten good enough.
TOS
ukimalefu Canadized
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:

The way electrics are showing up and kicking butt at the short distance racing like drags and hill climbs really has a lot of the boomer enthusiast set all a pearl clutching. I am in a couple of race and sports car FB groups which seem to be populated mostly with boomers and a bunch of these guys are just hating the electrics. The endless moaning about the lack of a beautiful exhaust note, on and on it goes.
Seems obvious to me that EVs will rule hill climbs and make the ICE cars look like the anachronisms they soon will be.
I am curious to see more EV dragsters. I am really interested to see if an electric can match and beat the explosive power of a blown nitro-methane rig. It's not just about horsepower, it is also about how many nano seconds it takes for that power to spool up. I am sure the EVs will win out in the long run but I wonder what today's tech would yield going head to head. The fastest EV someone can build against a top 5 top fuel dragster. Who would win, today?
TOS
Pariah posted:
ukimalefu posted:

The way electrics are showing up and kicking butt at the short distance racing like drags and hill climbs really has a lot of the boomer enthusiast set all a pearl clutching. I am in a couple of race and sports car FB groups which seem to be populated mostly with boomers and a bunch of these guys are just hating the electrics. The endless moaning about the lack of a beautiful exhaust note, on and on it goes.
Seems obvious to me that EVs will rule hill climbs and make the ICE cars look like the anachronisms they soon will be.
I am curious to see more EV dragsters. I am really interested to see if an electric can match and beat the explosive power of a blown nitro-methane rig. It's not just about horsepower, it is also about how many nano seconds it takes for that power to spool up. I am sure the EVs will win out in the long run but I wonder what today's tech would yield going head to head. The fastest EV someone can build against a top 5 top fuel dragster. Who would win, today?

one very interesting source of debate in the "car guy" community is the rapid demise of car collecting itself, especially the collapse of many private car museums, which are mostly rich boomers turning their collections into museums

basically, car-collecting was almost entirely a boomer thing, and younger folk just aren't stepping into their shoes to carry on the tradition

it will be very interesting to see where the classic car market is in 5-10 years, especially if rona ends up accelerating the transition to electric

i still fantasize about converting a classic car to electricity, but even at my most optimistic i feel like i'm in a teensy-tiny market for that
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I gave my car collection to my son when he was five. He lost them in the back yard.
TOS
i got that beat

i saved my collection of childhood lego bought for me mostly my my dad when i was a kid, treasured it, protected it, planing to give it to my kids when they got big enough -- and they just refuse to give a human waste, never playing with it at all
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:

i still fantasize about converting a classic car to electricity, but even at my most optimistic i feel like i'm in a teensy-tiny market for that

The after-market is all about serving niche interests. I know where I could buy a complete kit to swap a small block chevy v8 into a Volvo 240. That is pretty niche.
Given the relative simplicity of an electric drive train I bet such conversions wouldn't even be all that crazy expensive once the tech is fully commoditized.
TOS posted:
i got that beat

i saved my collection of childhood lego bought for me mostly my my dad when i was a kid, treasured it, protected it, planing to give it to my kids when they got big enough -- and they just refuse to give a human waste, never playing with it at all

Send it to me... daddy?
TOS
juice posted:
TOS posted:
i got that beat

Send it to me... daddy?

but ... what about my grandkids???
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
I went back and bought identical LEGO sets to the ones I had when I was a kid.
obvs posted:
I went back and bought identical LEGO sets to the ones I had when I was a kid.

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21