Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Online now: Google [Bot]
Betonhaus posted:
Ahh. You cheaped out.

To what are you referring?
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
DEyncourt posted:

Hrumph. I do not recall seeing a cigarette lighter outlet anywhere, so this would mean that several pieces of electronic gear I have in my Prius would not be usable in a Model 3. Or maybe I just missed those outlets.

Looks like there is both a 12V power socket and 4 USB plugs.

Quote:
There are two USB ports in the front compartment of the console, and two more on the rear of the console (meant for passengers in the back seat). All 4 can be used for charging, but only the front ports will work with USB flash drives.

Quote:
Your Model 3 has a power socket located in the rear compartment of the center console.
Power is available whenever the touchscreen is powered on.

TOS
ukimalefu posted:

holy moly, that cockpit is awesome
arkayn posted:
DEyncourt posted:

Hrumph. I do not recall seeing a cigarette lighter outlet anywhere, so this would mean that several pieces of electronic gear I have in my Prius would not be usable in a Model 3. Or maybe I just missed those outlets.

Looks like there is both a 12V power socket and 4 USB plugs.

Quote:
There are two USB ports in the front compartment of the console, and two more on the rear of the console (meant for passengers in the back seat). All 4 can be used for charging, but only the front ports will work with USB flash drives.

Quote:
Your Model 3 has a power socket located in the rear compartment of the center console.
Power is available whenever the touchscreen is powered on.

Ah, so I simply missed it. I did glance into the storage areas between the front seats but did not spot that 12V socket.

While under the front control panel there is a space designed to fit two smartphones side-by-side AND a pair of USB ports underneath that with space for cabling to go in between, BUT one of those USB ports can be used for memory storage for all of the built-in cameras.

If I could have my druthers I would have had three USB ports there instead, but oh well.

BUT a thought just occurs to me: would a Tesla be able to recognize the available storage on a smartphone to use THAT for camera storage? That would remove having to park a USB drive or such in the second USB port.

Grumph. More questions. Oh well, another excuse for a field trip, but this time with props!
TOS
electric fire truck (concept)

it's from an austrian fire truck manufacturer

https://innovation.rosenbauer.com/en/co ... ire-truck/
I did go back to my local Tesla showroom and asked my questions. The salesman technician-who-is-there-to answer-questions (I don't quite understand why they all went through this short speech to "clarify" their positions) answered most of mine. Let's see...

The Teslas will come with enough USB-to-appropriate port cables, so either four each of Lightning cables and four each of miniUSB-A cables for Androids, or maybe just four cables with combo ends. I guess for one of the more current smartphones with wireless charging you will have to install a recharging pad underneath the felt pad which can cover up the wires underneath.

I could not check to see what OS is used by the Telsa to see if I could plug in a USB drive that brought with me. The tech said that all of the show models are set with their USB drives disabled. Sensible considering that you wouldn't want anyone with malware on their USB drives to screw up those floor models.

I did find the 12V outlet inside one of the spaces between the two front seats. Heh, it is a black socket covered by a black plastic cap within a largish container lined with black felt, so no wonder I did not spot it the first time.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Can't afford a cybertruck? there may even not be any chargers in your city...

Make your own!

instagram video at the link

TOS
rivian's ev pickup truck can do a "tank turn"

can't you just see good ol' boys doing this in parking lots?
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
TOS posted:
rivian's ev pickup truck can do a "tank turn"

can't you just see good ol' boys doing this in parking lots?

That is actually pretty impressive. :up:
TOS
rivian also announced another $1.3 billion in financing
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
WTF does that even mean?
It means more accounting acrobatics to convince investors they are doing good.
Electric cars are nice until they break$$$!
So certainly don't get one over a certain mileage.
TOS
Metacell posted:
WTF does that even mean?

it means they'll hit the ground running, instead of taking years to ramp up production like tesla
TOS
Betonhaus posted:

why

why must you comment when you are so clueless
Pariah Know Your Enemy
wellfleation posted:

I don't know about that. ICE cars are an order of magnitude more complex than EVs.
TOS posted:
Betonhaus posted:

why

why must you comment when you are so clueless

Cunninghams law
dv
Pariah posted:
wellfleation posted:

I don't know about that. ICE cars are an order of magnitude more complex than EVs.

ICE cars have a bazillion parts that cost $50 each. EVs have three parts that cost $5k each.

It's probably a wash over the life of the vehicle, but people will still drama.
TOS
Pariah posted:
wellfleation posted:

tesla batteries are reportedly still holding a solid charge after many cycles, many years and many miles of use
Lombo Opiofiend
Also the maintenance-free nature of electric must scare the hell out of auto dealership. With Tesla you have to check a brake fluid level after 24 months. It is the only thing to check. Viva la electric Caro.
TOS
Lombo posted:
Also the maintenance-free nature of electric must scare the hell out of auto dealership. With Tesla you have to check a brake fluid level after 24 months. It is the only thing to check. Viva la electric Caro.

well, there are other things like brake pads and tires, plus i think the motors use liquid coolant

but yeah while teslas are far from perfect there will certainly be fewer repair headaches than with ice vehicles
I just wanted to post this line because I see it as pretty relevant:
Quote:
Here's a secret of a vehicle tug-of-war: unless there's a significant difference in available traction, then the heavier vehicle generally wins.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/autos-t ... ar-BBYvnU8
"To replace gas taxes, Oregon and Utah ask EVs to pay for road use".

As a possible future Tesla owner, I have no problems with such as long as they are based on mileage and thus more-or-less on road usage as are many state gasoline taxes. Some commenters noted that already in other states the registration fees for such electric vehicles were simply raised by a flat fee without any acknowledgment of road usage.
TOS
DEyncourt posted:
"To replace gas taxes, Oregon and Utah ask EVs to pay for road use".

As a possible future Tesla owner, I have no problems with such as long as they are based on mileage and thus more-or-less on road usage as are many state gasoline taxes. Some commenters noted that already in other states the registration fees for such electric vehicles were simply raised by a flat fee without any acknowledgment of road usage.

on the other hand it's very early, and screwing with the situation could kill off the industry before it even starts

here in ontario the fuckfaced conservative premier ended the ev tax credit and sales dropped by almost half
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
It's even more retarded than that. Passenger cars do almost no damage when compared to tractor trailers, as it generally tends to be a function of weight per axle. As it stands, I suspect there is a lot of subsidizing of shipping by regular car owners as it is.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
maurvir posted:
It's even more retarded than that. Passenger cars do almost no damage when compared to tractor trailers, as it generally tends to be a function of weight per axle. As it stands, I suspect there is a lot of subsidizing of shipping by regular car owners as it is.

You’re right, we should ship more stuff by rail.
juice Inadvertently correct
mmaverick posted:
maurvir posted:

As long as that stuff is not coal or tar sands oil, I agree.
juice posted:
mmaverick posted:
maurvir posted:

As long as that stuff is not coal or tar sands oil, I agree.

But coal is a huge part of my job :(

Luckily for me, the coal we ship is metallurgical/coking coal. Can’t make a cybertruck without it!
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:

Snicker.....Sony just needs to stop trying to invent things, it never goes well for them.
TOS
Pariah posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Snicker.....Sony just needs to stop trying to invent things, it never goes well for them.

sony's a mess, but is it really out of the question for non-car companies to start manufacturing electric vehicles?

things could get mighty interesting
juice Inadvertently correct
I look forward to buying a Motorola vehicle.
juice posted:
I look forward to buying a Motorola vehicle.

A Motorola flip car would be excellent.
TOS
It’s probably because no one wants a cybertruck
TOS
the mercedes vision avtr concept car, unveiled at the ces

ukimalefu dysfunctional
A car like that should only be seen like this:

maybe while listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAahcF7ew-0
Lombo Opiofiend
Pariah posted:
ukimalefu posted:

They did not invent anything. It is basically a OEM car with Sony branding.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19