Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Online now: Google [Bot], juice
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
dv posted:
mmaverick posted:
TOS posted:
the truck market is massive, a potentially huge market for electric vehicles, and if tesla gets in first they could potentially dominate

I think they knew they weren’t going to be the first to market, so they wanted to make something that looked radically different so that people weren’t constantly saying “oh, that looks just like Jim’s Rivian” or “Paul’s old electric F-150”

Looks like Bob's old Ranger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_EV

The local power company had one of those that they would drive in parades with a big sign: KY POWER ELECTRIC!
IIRC, it had a motor on each wheel.
TOS
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Apparently it’s a RWD 150 and the ford driver doesn’t get on the gas until he’s being towed. Pretty annoying considering an electric truck better damned we’ll win a pull against a gas engine.

I’d be curious to see it go up against a 4x4 diesel.
jkahless Custom Title
Aye, once he was moving backwards it didn't matter if the Ford had the torque, it didn't have the traction. Silly.
juice Inadvertently correct
Another pointless peen measuring contest.
juice posted:
Another pointless peen measuring contest.

Huh, so I guess Elon is looking to market these to traditional truck owners...
Lombo Opiofiend
ukimalefu dysfunctional
dv
dv
ukimalefu posted:

It's silly. Either truck and more than enough power to overcome the traction of the tires. The winner will be the one with more rubber and more weight. And 4WD.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:

It's silly. Either truck and more than enough power to overcome the traction of the tires. The winner will be the one with more rubber and more weight. And 4WD.

should compete both pulling the same thing, like a big block of concrete, and not each other

and maybe a rallycross race
ukimalefu posted:
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:

should compete both pulling the same thing, like a big block of concrete, and not each other

and maybe a rallycross race

I love this idea! Make it like the Worlds Strongest Man contest and broadcast it on ESPN in February when football is over.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Do it like a tractor pull
Maybe pull an actual tractor
Electric is so 2010's era. What about Toyota's new Hydrogen powered car?
Toyota Mirai

Last edited by Aaron_R on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:29 pm.

C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
*page not found*
It looks like a Ford Fusion from that angle.
fixed link. you can drive one off the lot late 2020!
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
Aaron_R posted:

The nearest charging station is 1,911 miles from my house. I may wait a few more months.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Aaron_R posted:

huh? 2020? or is that for the US?

I think that's what James May got in the video I posted. But maybe he got it early because he's famous?
Aaron_R posted:

When can I expect my local Casey's convenience store to put in a hydrogen tank, so I can refuel?
juice posted:
Aaron_R posted:

When can I expect my local Casey's convenience store to put in a hydrogen tank, so I can refuel?

I thought you could create your own with water and electricity in a pinch?
TOS
hydrogen is a dead end
TOS posted:
hydrogen is a dead end

Why is that?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
juice posted:
TOS posted:
hydrogen is a dead end

Why is that?

Costly to produce and has a low energy density and is a little bit explosive.
Costly for now only because the tech is new for consumers so nobody wants to invest in it and big energy can't make their cut of profits. After all the air you breath in is almost 90% hydrogen so you could produce from that or as betonhaus said you could produce from distilled water.

After a decade you can imagine the tech could be to the point whereas you are just driving around with a tank full of distilled water or all you have is an air intake compressor that generates it on demand (both of which would however still require a dedicated hydrogen cell like the Miria has or high density batteries in order to start the chemical conversion/capture process. but once up and running would be self sustained).

Or it could even be like FallOut series cars where you have a fusion core cartridge that you can eject and replace on demand but in this case instead of nuclear it is a hydrogen cell that you just swap out for a fresh one. Than when you get home you can place the empty one in your charger or even have it exchanged for a full one at a filling station (kinda like the propane tank exchanges at filling stations where you swap your empty one for a full one).
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Aaron_R posted:
Costly for now only because the tech is new for consumers so nobody wants to invest in it and big energy can't make their cut of profits. After all the air you breath in is almost 90% hydrogen so you could produce from that or as betonhaus said you could produce from distilled water.

After a decade you can imagine the tech could be to the point whereas you are just driving around with a tank full of distilled water or all you have is an air intake compressor that generates it on demand (both of which would however still require a dedicated hydrogen cell like the Miria has or high density batteries in order to start the chemical conversion/capture process. but once up and running would be self sustained).

Or it could even be like FallOut series cars where you have a fusion core cartridge that you can eject and replace on demand but in this case instead of nuclear it is a hydrogen cell that you just swap out for a fresh one. Than when you get home you can place the empty one in your charger or even have it exchanged for a full one at a filling station (kinda like the propane tank exchanges at filling stations where you swap your empty one for a full one).

If the atmosphere were 90% hydrogen the world would be a flaming ball.
dv
juice posted:
If the atmosphere were 90% hydrogen the world would be a flaming ball.

It would look really cool for a minute from the Moon though.
Aaron_R posted:

Um, there is so much wrong in this post! It's a joke, right?
DEyncourt posted:
Um, there is so much wrong in this post! It's a joke, right?

I wish it were a joke, total brain fart moment. :derp:
ukimalefu dysfunctional

Cybertruck and a Blade Runner car

Blade Runner happens in 2019
Musk's people know their market. The sales job was done decades ago, now it's just a matter of delivery.
TOS
juice posted:
TOS posted:
hydrogen is a dead end

Why is that?

expensive, impractical, dangerous, benefits are mostly exaggerated
TOS posted:
juice posted:
TOS posted:
hydrogen is a dead end

Why is that?

But Ballard says they’re *this* close to finally making a profit...
TOS
mmaverick posted:
TOS posted:
juice posted:
TOS posted:
hydrogen is a dead end

Why is that?

But Ballard says they’re *this* close to finally making a profit...

and after that .... fusion!
dv
Pariah Know Your Enemy
In the link below the AAA says that the use of the heater reduces an EVs range by 40%. The cold by itself reduces range by 12%. I am not sure if that means it adds up to 52% or not, the article is unclear.
The test was done at 20f which is a pretty mild January day where I come from. What happens at minus 10f? That is 40 degrees colder than the test. If you live in the Northern third of the country -10f temps are common.
Riddle me this: Assuming a nominal range of 300 miles, ambient temp -10f.
You drive your EV 50 miles to work where your EV sits for 8.5 hours in an open parking lot. Do you have enough charge at the end of the day to get home?

https://apnews.com/04029bd1e0a94cd59ff9540a398c12d1
TOS
Pariah posted:
In the link below the AAA says that the use of the heater reduces an EVs range by 40%. The cold by itself reduces range by 12%. I am not sure if that means it adds up to 52% or not, the article is unclear.
The test was done at 20f which is a pretty mild January day where I come from. What happens at minus 10f? That is 40 degrees colder than the test. If you live in the Northern third of the country -10f temps are common.
You drive your EV 50 miles to work where your EV sits for 8.5 hours in an open parking lot. Do you have enough charge at the end of the day to get home?

charging station at parking lot, charging station at gas stations, charging stations all over the place

i'm not sure why driving range is more of a concern with electric than with gasoline
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:

charging station at parking lot, charging station at gas stations, charging stations all over the place

i'm not sure why driving range is more of a concern with electric than with gasoline

LOL, seriously you wonder?
I would say range is not a concern with ICE cars because, within a low single digit difference, you have the same range regardless of the weather.

I am not trying to be contentous, I am seeking data. I have searched and no one has published any reports on EV range in actual really cold temps. 20f is a warm day in mid winter. I want to know how things are at typical deep cold winter conditions.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18