Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Online now: Google [Bot], juice, Pariah
Vulture 420
That truck is so hilariously ugly it is destined to be a success just for how much it stands out and looks like no other vehicle model. It reminds me of how ugly the Lamborghini LM002 4X4 was, but they took it into the 80s future of a movie about the 21st century.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Thinking on it. If I were looking for a new vehicle today, and this was available, the dual motor trim would probably be the top vehicle on my list. (If I could trust Tesla QA enough)

It checks every box I need for a vehicle. That’s far more important than looks.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Electric or ICE, that truckzilla is too stick fiddling big.
Pariah posted:

It’s the size of a standard half ton.
Pariah posted:
The thing about that truck is not just that it is ugly, which is certainly is, but that it looks amateurish, even childish in design.

It could turn out to be trendsetting, who knows.

As it is, after the initial shock I'm pretty much indifferent. But since it's Tesla I suspect once people are driving it they will find a very stupid design flaw.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
mmaverick posted:
Pariah posted:

Exactly.
Pariah posted:
mmaverick posted:
Pariah posted:

Exactly.

then what's the point of your statement? It's a truck that's as big as a truck. If you have a problem with the size of trucks then don't specify the Tesla truck.
Pariah posted:
mmaverick posted:
Pariah posted:

Exactly.

The truck buying market disagrees.
macnuke Afar
mmaverick posted:
Pariah posted:
mmaverick posted:
Pariah posted:

Exactly.

the truck market prefers not to run in wind tunnels.
macnuke posted:
mmaverick posted:
Pariah posted:
mmaverick posted:
Pariah posted:

Exactly.

the truck market prefers not to run in wind tunnels.

The truck market recognizes that a properly utilized truck won't be aerodynamic anyways.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Looks like headroom will be an issue in the backseats of this thing.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Pariah posted:

They mention that in the last video I posted.

But pickups that do have a back seat, well that's never confortable for anybody. So there's that.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Official Tesla Cybertruck promo clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2U9Hmmpqhc

That still doesn't sell it. The music does say "80s scifi movie".

I guess it will a couple of years before I see a proper test drive by an independent 3rd party.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
well, apparently there are 146000 preorders

I'm wondering how that solar panel cones off. Does it roll up inside a hidden cavity or is it a one piece panel you have to take off and store ?
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Betonhaus posted:
I'm wondering how that solar panel cones off. Does it roll up inside a hidden cavity or is it a one piece panel you have to take off and store ?

huh? what solar panel?
ukimalefu posted:
Betonhaus posted:

huh? what solar panel?

the one that covers the box - sorry, "vault"?

On closer inspection it may not be a solar panel, but there's still some fuckery if it's a roll-top that hides.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Betonhaus posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Betonhaus posted:

huh? what solar panel?

On closer inspection it may not be a solar panel, but there's still some fuckery if it's a roll-top that hides.

yeah, I think it just rolls up and hides.

I suppose they could do solar panels, but I haven't seen anything about those actually being solar panels.
ukimalefu posted:
Betonhaus posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Betonhaus posted:

huh? what solar panel?

yeah, I think it just rolls up and hides.

I suppose they could do solar panels, but I haven't seen anything about those actually being solar panels.

It’s not solar panels but they’ve tweeted that a solar option is planned and that they are hoping for 15+ miles a day out of it. There’s a video of it working. I’ll go find it.

Edit. https://mobile.twitter.com/mattlondre/s ... 1104552960
ukimalefu posted:
Pariah posted:

They mention that in the last video I posted.

But pickups that do have a back seat, well that's never confortable for anybody. So there's that.

That really hasn’t been a thing for years. Trucks in general now have all the creature comforts of cars/SUVs and the larger cabbed trucks have enough room for me (6 foot 2) to sit in the back seats with ample leg and headroom while someone my height sits up front.

Due to that weird slope, this thing may not have quite as much space in the back as a traditional truck, but no transmission tunnel helps immensely.

Last edited by mmaverick on Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:10 pm.

The solar panel OPTIONS for Tesla's Cybertruck are PARTLY described here. There will be two:

1) built into presumably the "vault's" roof which can provide an extra 15 miles with a day's charging.

2) fold out "wings" presumably used only while parked which may extend that to a total of 30-40 extra miles.

Before you condemn those numbers, Musk did point out that on average a car in the US will be driven about 30 miles per day.
Depending on how expensive the solar cover is, I could see that as a very good option. The majority of our driving is in town, so in the non winter months, it could do all of our charging, minus the recharge we would need after going out of town for a day.
Pariah posted:

https://youtu.be/qWaVmmO7LZo

At 13:30 of that video, there’s a guy getting a demo ride in the back seats of the truck. Says he’s 6 foot 5 and he’s still got a bit of head room left.
TOS
TOS
Pariah posted:

it's basically a hummer
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Allegedly, this compares the sizes of a cybertruck and a model 3

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I'm starting to like it.
It'll look good with a 3 inch lift and a Mossy Oak wrap.

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I'm eagerly awaiting the photo of a Tesla Truck with a Honda portable generator mounted in the bed ...
dv
DukeofNuke posted:
I'm starting to like it.
It'll look good with a 3 inch lift and a Mossy Oak wrap.

Don't forget the completely pristine, lovingly waxed and polished, bullbar.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
... and bristling with enough off-road accessory lighting to bring in a 737 Max ...
juice Inadvertently correct
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
At least there was a good reason for it being shaped like it is...

It seems that the exterior is more like a ship's hull than a car body.
TOS
question: do you think tesla is aiming to appeal to the truck nuts crowd with this thing? using styling that's big, aggressive and macho macho to counter the sissyish image of their existing models?

the truck market is massive, a potentially huge market for electric vehicles, and if tesla gets in first they could potentially dominate

can you see these things covered in mud and festooned with drywall and power tools?

oh hell, actually, could they be used as a power source for electric tools and air compressors? that would be pretty cool
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
With the ability to power each wheel individually, electric trucks like this one promise to surpass the capability of four-wheel drive by actively proportioning power to the wheels with the most grip.
https://www.outsideonline.com/2405978/t ... truck-real

Interesting ...

Although, Jeeps automatic 4WD system does this already.
juice Inadvertently correct
How much real-time computational power would that take?
ukimalefu dysfunctional
TOS posted:
the truck market is massive, a potentially huge market for electric vehicles, and if tesla gets in first they could potentially dominate

I think they knew they weren’t going to be the first to market, so they wanted to make something that looked radically different so that people weren’t constantly saying “oh, that looks just like Jim’s Rivian” or “Paul’s old electric F-150”
dv
mmaverick posted:
TOS posted:

I think they knew they weren’t going to be the first to market, so they wanted to make something that looked radically different so that people weren’t constantly saying “oh, that looks just like Jim’s Rivian” or “Paul’s old electric F-150”

Looks like Bob's old Ranger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_EV
TOS posted:

can you see these things covered in mud and festooned with drywall and power tools?

oh hell, actually, could they be used as a power source for electric tools and air compressors? that would be pretty cool

When I worked in construction, my boss had a ford lightning as his “work truck” and the other owner would constantly buy a brand new half ton. Every foreman using a company truck had at least a 3/4 ton.

I could see these being used as “the boss’s truck, as well as Vinyl wrapped working billboards for people that don’t need a heavy-duty truck.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18