Metacell posted:
dv posted:
Pariah posted:
dv posted:
Pariah posted:
mmaverick posted:
TOS posted:
suvs have a worse crash safety record than small cars

Especially if they are classified as a “truck” and don’t need to follow as stringent safety standards. (At least last time I looked into it, which was a few years ago)

Ya, this is where intuitive thinking "Bigger is safer!!!" runs up against reality.
SUVs are relatively less safe for several reasons:
They handle terribly, particularly in emergency evasive maneuvers.
Their great weight causes increased stopping distances.
They are not built to the same safety standards as cars are.
SUVs are far, far more prone to roll-overs which is a particularly deadly behavior.

That was more true for truck-based SUVs in the '90s, but mostly doesn't apply to modern unibody SUV/Crossovers like the Honda CR-V (which is pretty much a Civic Wagon on 2" stilts. Same braking distance, similar maneuverability, only 300 pounds heavier, same crash test rating.)

The FWD-only versions of unibody Crossovers are technically classified as passenger cars and have to meet the same standards as the Accord/Camry.

They also don't fit into the bigger is safer argument because cars like the CR-V are no larger or heavier than my Mazda.
It's just taller.

Anecdotally I'm pretty sure that people perceive vehicles like the CR-V to be larger regardless of their actual curb weights, and make decisions based on that perception.

Between the added height and a bit of blocky styling, you gotta admit they look bigger, and the upright seating arrangement makes them feel larger, especially in back.

And on the flip side, having a car that encourages me to drive safely probably actually provides me greater safety than any other feature.

Body work is too expensive and humans are too fragile not to drive safely.

Also, people aren't that smart, which is why new cars ship with more sensors than the stick fiddling USS Enterprise.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
dv posted:

Also, people aren't that smart, which is why new cars ship with more sensors than the stick fiddling USS Enterprise.

Just don't drive into a nebula.
ukimalefu posted:
dv posted:

Just don't drive into a nebula.

Unlike Khan, people still can't even think 2 dimensionally.
TOS
Woman caught keying Tesla BY THE TESLA. YouTube video of an early news report.

The owner posted his Tesla's video--which went viral--of the woman in the act online asking for information, so the woman responsible had turned herself in to the local police. Because the estimated damage exceeds $2000 she is facing felony charges.

Rob Beschizza--the author of the linked article--pointed out that this was at a high school football game so it is not yet clear if the Tesla was the sole target.

THEY ARE WATCHING.
TOS
i was at a tesla store recently and checked out a model x

must say that's a hell of a car
dv
TOS posted:

Thanks but I'd rather buy a 2011 Corolla and a house.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I saw an electric BMW i3 today. It looked like someone plastered a not so good body kit on a Smart.
TOS
dv posted:
TOS posted:

Thanks but I'd rather buy a 2011 Corolla and a house.

yeah it's a nice set of wheels but the price tag baffles me
juice Inadvertently correct
DEyncourt posted:
Posted here only because of cars.

You know you want this for your car.

nerdcred ++
That may not translate to sales. Lamborghini is in the top 9. Porsche and Maserati are in the top 20.

Just another old car converted to electric, but I like it.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
That is my kind of conversion. I love the future retro look. :up:
Instant torque and an old chassis is an even worse death trap than originally planned.
juice posted:
Instant torque and an old chassis is an even worse death trap than originally planned.

Yeah, the right way to do one of those mods is to take an entire modern frame and wrap an old body over it. Even that's not entirely safe, because of the lack of crumple zones and airbags, but at least you have a modern car underneath.
Or you could skip a few steps and buy a modern car.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
The only good thing about old cars is the styling. Everything else is horrible.
Bad handling, bad brakes, unreliable, unsafe.
TOS
juice posted:

you people need to stop saying that human waste
TOS posted:
juice posted:

It looks like a fun project but no way in hell would I drive it daily or at highway speeds.
TOS posted:
juice posted:

You need to start driving around with your traction control completely disabled.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Pariah posted:
I saw an electric BMW i3 today. It looked like someone plastered a not so good body kit on a Smart.

Two guys at work just got i3s. They got great lease deals, 250ish a month and 500 down, and so far are super stoked about them.
TOS
Betonhaus posted:
TOS posted:
juice posted:

You need to start driving around with your traction control completely disabled.

actually i do

especially in winter
TOS posted:
Betonhaus posted:
TOS posted:
juice posted:

actually i do

especially in winter

The fact you're not dead yet indicates that you haven't fully disabled it.
the fact that you willingly disable it in winter suggests that you are disabling something else.
Vulture 420
My car has no traction control, it's overrated.
Vulture 420
ukimalefu posted:

Just another old car converted to electric, but I like it.

That's the Stealth EV company I posted about with the YT video from SEMA on page 8.

Vulture posted:
IDK if this thread already had this posted, but if you aren't aware of this YT channel and think you know something about electric cars, then you will learn something.

Yes, this is the guy who decided years ago to buy salvage title Teslas and rebuild them himself at home because he refused to pay retail for one. His first project which seemed like a disaster at first with only losses, ended up with him buying two junked Teslas, learning how to put one together in the process, sell the parts that were the most valuable between the two to recoup his losses, and finally have one working Tesla at the cost of around $5k plus his personal time and labor.

Here is a still from the linked video at SEMA last year, where a company called Stealth EV converts classic one-offs to full electric.

Vulture posted:

...which car do you have?
TOS
Betonhaus posted:
TOS posted:
Betonhaus posted:
TOS posted:
juice posted:

actually i do

especially in winter

the fact that you willingly disable it in winter suggests that you are disabling something else.

there's definitely something disabled here
Vulture 420
Betonhaus posted:
Vulture posted:

...which car do you have?

TOS posted:
Betonhaus posted:
TOS posted:
Betonhaus posted:
TOS posted:
juice posted:

actually i do

especially in winter

there's definitely something disabled here

I see what you did there
TOS
so it seems harley-davidson's electric cycle has officially flopped

not surprising, since, although it was slick and apparently well-made, cost as much as a tesla
TOS posted:

not surprising, since, although it was slick and apparently well-made, cost as much as a tesla

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billrobers ... od-qc/amp/
It didn't flop, just has a glitch preventing them from charging from 120v sources. And they are 30k, which is not much higher than upper range models of ice motorcycles.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I thought about this thread when they announced rolling black outs. They encourage people to go electric, and then PG&E says they're going to randomly cut power to homes. Kind of ironic. Glad PG&E doesn't supply electricity to Sac.
TOS
Betonhaus posted:
TOS posted:

It didn't flop, just has a glitch preventing them from charging from 120v sources. And they are 30k, which is not much higher than upper range models of ice motorcycles.

it costs more than an aprilia

no one is going to put a harley in that class
justine posted:
I thought about this thread when they announced rolling black outs. They encourage people to go electric, and then PG&E says they're going to randomly cut power to homes. Kind of ironic. Glad PG&E doesn't supply electricity to Sac.

From my reading, it seems PG&E hasn't been upgrading or maintaining the infrastructure nearly as well as they should. Which kind of makes the lawsuits doubly bad - now they can't afford to do a lot of necessary maintenance.
We cannot build shareholder value and give excessive bonuses to our executive staff while maintaining the infrastructure!
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
Betonhaus posted:
TOS posted:

Harley will not survive the electric future. The only thing that sells Harley's is that big V-twin and that Harley sound.
Without that they have nothing.
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:
Betonhaus posted:
TOS posted:

Harley will not survive the electric future. The only thing that sells Harley's is that big V-twin and that Harley sound.
Without that they have nothing.

Which is why they are getting ahead of the game. The LiveWire is the first proper electric motorcycle and is in a position to define the field. I'm pretty confident they can survive the pivot. They plan to be the Canon of the new world and not the Kodak.
/me looks at his Kodak inkjet printer
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11