Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Online now: Majestic-12 [Bot]
dv
Betonhaus posted:
dv posted:
Vulture posted:
They have a working prototype F150 electric? I did not know that.

Yup.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/201 ... n-business

Also, math:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au3U72CX74I

The math isn't really necessary, just knowing that electric motors can apply full torque at 1rpm or less - so it can slowly counter inertia without burning out or melting.

Engineering Explained is always necessary.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Electric motorcycles should be a no-brainer since you can already get 80mpg with them.
Lombo Opiofiend
That is one hell of a good looking mean machine.
TOS
nissan releases image of its upcoming electric suv

Vulture 420
Those are the weirdest fenders I've ever seen. I wonder how well you can cut a wheel of cheese with them.
Vulture posted:
Those are the weirdest fenders I've ever seen. I wonder how well you can cut a wheel of cheese with them.

and when that car hits a person...:

Lombo Opiofiend
TOS posted:
nissan releases image of its upcoming electric suv

I love this. Quirky and sci-fi looking.
Daimler stops developing internal combustion engines to focus on electric cars

Quote:
After reigning in the auto industry as the powertrain of choice for a century, the internal combustion engine is finally dying.

Now even Daimler says that it is stopping development of new internal combustion engines to focus on electric cars.

Quote:
Daimler has previously announced plans for Mercedes-Benz and smart cars to offer electric versions of all car models by 2022.

RIP ICE
TOS
yeah that's pretty common now

internal combustion has been end-of-lifed
juice Inadvertently correct
counterpoint: That site isn't exactly fair and balanced.
juice posted:
counterpoint: That site isn't exactly fair and balanced.

I googled it to find a source in english

Originally found here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... ombustion/

And that links to a german site:

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/tec ... lung-2019/
TOS
you know how we were just talking about rivian? there was an interesting announcement today:

Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
you know how we were just talking about rivian? there was an interesting announcement today:

It is kind of astounding that the Big 3 automakers seem to be so far behind these start-ups. It's not like you need to blank slate a design for an electric, particularly an electric van or truck.
TOS
the big automakers have several problems: after all the chaos of the last 10 years, it's practically impossible for them to build excitement; they are incredibly bureaucratic, with ideologies and infighting (for instance the guy in charge of chevy's volt was a climate denier), and they have so damn much inertia and overhead that changing direction is so much harder

then there's the whole dealer network ....
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

It is kind of astounding that the Big 3 automakers seem to be so far behind these start-ups. It's not like you need to blank slate a design for an electric, particularly an electric van or truck.

Ford is a major partner with rivian.
TOS
another startup shows off its wares

this one looks fairly cool, although ... rectangular steering wheel?
Old Yoda agitator
Quote:
Fremont police Tesla runs low on juice during high-speed chase
‘I am down to six miles of battery,’ officer said during highway pursuit
The last thing a police officer trying to chase down a suspect in a high-speed pursuit needs to see is a warning that their patrol car is running low on gas — or on battery juice.

But that’s how it went down Friday night in Fremont — in a Tesla no less. A Fremont police officer pursuing a suspect while driving the department’s Tesla Model S patrol car noticed it was running out of battery power.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2019/09/24 ... eed-chase/
dv
TOS posted:
another startup shows off its wares

this one looks fairly cool, although ... rectangular steering wheel?

Normal for F1 cars and such.
Old Yoda posted:
Quote:
The last thing a police officer trying to chase down a suspect in a high-speed pursuit needs to see is a warning that their patrol car is running low on gas — or on battery juice.

But that’s how it went down Friday night in Fremont — in a Tesla no less. A Fremont police officer pursuing a suspect while driving the department’s Tesla Model S patrol car noticed it was running out of battery power.

Considering that many chases are a stamina contest they really shouldn't be using electric cars.
Betonhaus posted:
Old Yoda posted:
Quote:

Considering that many chases are a stamina contest they really shouldn't be using electric cars be ready to swap in other patrol cars as needed.

FTFY

Seriously, has the Fremont Police Department NEVER had an internal combustion engine patrol car run out of gas? What would they have done in THAT situation?
I went to an annual British car show today and saw these EV conversions:

ImageImage

The MG guy said his range is about 50 miles.

I thought it was interesting that both cars had factory transmissions since most EVs have 1 or 2 gears. The lady with the Mini said she just keeps it in 3rd or 4th all the time.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I'd think the torque could be real issue using the stock trans. You'd have to be careful not to accelerate too hard or you'd turn your clutch into smoke in no time.
LOL, especially the MG. The clutches on those old things could barely deal with the stock 50ish horse-power. Ya, if that guy is running a stock drive train he is going breaking things all the time.
TOS
Pariah posted:
I'd think the torque could be real issue using the stock trans. You'd have to be careful not to accelerate too hard or you'd turn your clutch into smoke in no time.
LOL, especially the MG. The clutches on those old things could barely deal with the stock 50ish horse-power. Ya, if that guy is running a stock drive train he is going breaking things all the time.

they have pretty good software in those things, the pedal offers a pretty standard acceleration curve; it's not a binary zero-to-burn-rubber situation

standard transmissions work fine, remember you're not changing gears so there's not much wear and tear
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:

they have pretty good software in those things, the pedal offers a pretty standard acceleration curve; it's not a binary zero-to-burn-rubber situation

standard transmissions work fine, remember you're not changing gears so there's not much wear and tear

I think Pariah is referring to the clutch not having a strong enough grip to handle the torque? So instead of gripping it will spin with enough friction to melt itself?
Vulture 420
Pariah posted:

No electric conversions use ICE transmission systems. The electric motor spins the axle at the axle, and there are no gears to shift.
Vulture 420
IDK if this thread already had this posted, but if you aren't aware of this YT channel and think you know something about electric cars, then you will learn something.

Yes, this is the guy who decided years ago to buy salvage title Teslas and rebuild them himself at home because he refused to pay retail for one. His first project which seemed like a disaster at first with only losses, ended up with him buying two junked Teslas, learning how to put one together in the process, sell the parts that were the most valuable between the two to recoup his losses, and finally have one working Tesla at the cost of around $5k plus his personal time and labor.

Here is a still from the linked video at SEMA last year, where a company called Stealth EV converts classic one-offs to full electric.

Vulture posted:

No electric conversions use ICE transmission systems. The electric motor spins the axle at the axle, and there are no gears to shift.

I was told these do.

I don't know who did the kit for the MG, but the Mini is by Motive Motor Company and their facebook photos show a clutch assembly installed on the motor.
I'm sure it makes conversion easier since driveshafts don't have to be created, just installation for the motor and charging system.

ImageImage
TOS
Vulture posted:
Pariah posted:

not true, plenty of conversions use the existing transmissions
TOS
an electric suv from a company called bollinger, currently taking orders ... looks like they're going for a classic land rover vibe

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Range is still an issue.
There's a reason all those old Land Rovers and Jeeps have Jerrycans hanging off the tailgate.
DukeofNuke posted:
Range is still an issue.
There's a reason all those old Land Rovers and Jeeps have Jerrycans hanging off the tailgate.

so put batteries in there :p

depends where you go and what you do but:

Quote:
As of April 23, 2019, the Model S Long Range has an EPA range of 370 miles (600 km), higher than any other electric car.

that's plenty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Model_S

And if you believe Tesla, that's enough to get to next charger anywhere in the US.

Anyway, I like the look of that SUV.

BUT, if it's gonna look like a Land Rover, I want to perform like one.
your tesla is NOT self driving, teslas suck, self driving will never work, blah blah blah

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/30/2089 ... -accidents

I don't care, I still want one. Even if they never get self driving to work. But I believe they will. And I've seen human drivers do worst.

here are samples of what human drivers do

https://old.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/
Vulture 420
I wish one of us had a Tesla to show how it does the autopilot. I personally don't know anyone with one, otherwise I'd chime in.
juice Inadvertently correct
I’d be happy to report on it, if anyone would like to buy me one.
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
Range is still an issue.

so what kind of range do you think is necessary?

keep in mind the average driver travels maybe 30 miles per day
Vulture 420
That reminds me, I have to get some jerrycans.
On a related note, my dad drove his EV (Chevy bolt) from the lower mainland to Revelstoke, spent the weekend here and then drove home. It’s roughly a 6 hour drive with an ICE car. He charged twice on the way up and twice on the way home using free BC hydro Level 3 fast chargers.

For me driving on my own, yeah an ICE vehicle would be faster, but if I’m driving with a kid, dog and wife, I’d be making a couple 30 minute stops anyways.
mmaverick posted:
On a related note, my dad drove his EV (Chevy bolt) from the lower mainland to Revelstoke, spent the weekend here and then drove home. It’s roughly a 6 hour drive with an ICE car. He charged twice on the way up and twice on the way home using free BC hydro Level 3 fast chargers.

For me driving on my own, yeah an ICE vehicle would be faster, but if I’m driving with a kid, dog and wife, I’d be making a couple 30 minute stops anyways.

He charged twice because he needed to, or because he wanted the peace of mind of having a full charge? I once saw ONE chevy bolt review, it seems to be good, except for it's range (but I guess it's still good for every day city driving)
ukimalefu posted:
mmaverick posted:

He charged twice because he needed to, or because he wanted the peace of mind of having a full charge? I once saw ONE chevy bolt review, it seems to be good, except for it's range (but I guess it's still good for every day city driving)

He could have charged once in the middle, but it would have cost him money and it would have been a level 2 charger instead of 3, so he wouldn’t have saved any time.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11