Electric cars are the future

How's life?
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Re: Electric cars are the future

Post by ukimalefu »

TOS wrote:
maurvir wrote: I keep waiting for electric vehicles that are 1) affordable, 2) have the same range as gas vehicles, and 3) aren't fugly as hell.

TOS wrote:an estimated two years till electrics are on par, price-wise, with ice vehicles

indeed

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3499 ... drop-2023/

ugly?

range

-

I would agree that more chargers are still needed in more places, and that prices must come down. I also agree that 10 years is a good estimate for electric cars to be "normal", maybe not the majority, but you won't be surprised to see one anymore. First world countries that is. For electric cars to be commonplace in most of the world, maybe 20 years.
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

TOS wrote:
maurvir wrote: I keep waiting for electric vehicles that are 1) affordable, 2) have the same range as gas vehicles, and 3) aren't fugly as hell.

TOS wrote:an estimated two years till electrics are on par, price-wise, with ice vehicles

Range is still an issue, even on the higher-end models and, with the almost singular exception of Tesla, fugly as hell. However, it's good to see they are finally approaching price parity.
j_tso

Post by j_tso »

Details Emerge on FIA’s GT3-Based Electric GT Series
Each “main race” would be 40 minutes in length and require cars to complete at least one mandatory recharging pit stop, utilizing a fast-charging system aimed to restore up to 60 percent of the battery power within three to four minutes.

The championship would feature at least two manufacturers at launch and increasing to four by Season 3 and to be held as standalone “electric only events.”

I don't think it's a good idea for them to be standalone events if these are taking place at existing tracks. Maybe it'll be better bundled with Formula E since they also have the Jaguar i-Pace races as supporting acts.
juice
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

This is interesting. Could it lead to further R&D on battery and charging technologies?
j_tso

Post by j_tso »

Hopefully more on the charging front.

In the last few years of of racing hybrids at Le Mans, Toyota and Porsche continually upgraded their batteries to last longer and run hotter.
mmaverick
Title: my steady systematic decline

Post by mmaverick »

I was thinking today, as I tried to diagnose our broken down ICE vehicle. Having to pre-order an EV and wait for months/years is a really inconvenient way of buying a vehicle when you are a one vehicle household.

If my car dies, I would have to get another one on the cheap while I waited for the EV to get made. If it was under 6 months, I would need to keep our dead vehicle fully insured while I waited for the EV, or I wouldn’t be entitled to all of the rebates.
This post is not racist.
dv

Re:

Post by dv »

j_tso wrote: Hopefully more on the charging front.

In the last few years of of racing hybrids at Le Mans, Toyota and Porsche continually upgraded their batteries to last longer and run hotter.

Probably not great for overall battery longevity.
TOS

Post by TOS »

maurvir wrote:
TOS wrote:

Range is still an issue, even on the higher-end models and, with the almost singular exception of Tesla, fugly as hell. However, it's good to see they are finally approaching price parity.

range is constantly increasing, they're up to hundreds of miles on a charge and who knows where they'll be in a few years ... when will 1,000 mile range be standard?

mmaverick wrote: I was thinking today, as I tried to diagnose our broken down ICE vehicle. Having to pre-order an EV and wait for months/years is a really inconvenient way of buying a vehicle when you are a one vehicle household.

If my car dies, I would have to get another one on the cheap while I waited for the EV to get made. If it was under 6 months, I would need to keep our dead vehicle fully insured while I waited for the EV, or I wouldn’t be entitled to all of the rebates.

a huge wave is on the way from every automaker in the next few years, so that it won't be a problem much longer (assuming covid hasn't messed with the schedule)

volkswagen alone has, what, six models on the way?

methinks supply problems will soon be history
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

I used to complain that OEMs always made electric cars look like clown cars but that is not anywhere as true as I used to be. I am not in love with Tesla's styling choices but they are perfectly decent looking cars.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
TOS

Post by TOS »

yeah there's something for everyone ... funky new designs and more standard stuff too

honestly i think the changeover is just going to be the most normal thing in the world
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

I am not an SUV kinda guy but I gotta say, the new 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E looks pretty good.
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Elon Musk says Apple refused a meeting to acquire Tesla

Elon Musk said Tuesday that he wanted to sell Tesla to Apple during the “darkest days” of the Model 3 rollout but that CEO Tim Cook “refused” to take the meeting.

Recent rumors say "apple car in 2024", but I've heard about an "apple car" since the iMac G3 days, so I won't even try to find a link to that.

*edit*

What the hell, I just ran into it, so here it is:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/21/221 ... ttery-tech
TOS

Post by TOS »

i just don't see apple getting into cars

at most they'll do software, maybe a few components, even some kind of boutique carriageworks for electric vehicles, but i think it's too late for a newcomer, considering the tsunami of new models coming out in the next 12-14 months
Alexander Supertramp
Title: this was uncalled for.

Post by Alexander Supertramp »

Give me an Apple ATV or I'm out.
The visuals don't hold up.
juice
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

small electric pickup, please
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Apple would contribute software and battery technology, and outsource the car building to an actual car company, further rumors say

https://outline.com/CFnf7x

https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-c ... ev-2020-12
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Dear Electric Cars!

Many good points about the present and future, pros and cons, of electric cars.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

I looked at the Volvo website and they have their electric cars front and center and have their ICE cars demoted to the status of "Other Powertrains".
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

I thought everybody in Scandinavia rode bicycles ?
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
ukimalefu

Re:

Post by ukimalefu »

DukeofNuke wrote: I thought everybody in Scandinavia rode bicycles ?

Yes? but not all the time? unless maybe you live in amsterdam?