Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], juice, ukimalefu
TOS
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:
gm has agreed to reopen its huge factory in oshawa (just outside toronto) ... the shutdown was devastating to the community

Quote:
General Motors GM recently announced that its workers in Canada, represented by Unifor, have agreed to a new three-year collective agreement between the union body and the company.The deal encompasses General Motors’ investment to the tune of $1.3 billion, creating 1,700 jobs in the Oshawa plant. More than $109 million will be invested to facilitate V-8 engine and transmission production in St. Catharines.The Oshawa plant will resume production of both light and heavy-duty trucks in 2022, and St. Catharines will manufacture engines for those pick-ups.Unifor’s deal with General Motors marks the third consecutive win for the union body after it struck similar deals with Ford and Fiat Chrysler.

initially there reports that evs would be built at that factory, but they're going with big ol' ice motors

I'd bet a dollar that pickup trucks are the very last vehicles that will be built with ICE engines assuming ICE are not outlawed before that.
I'd bet another dollar on big Diesel pickups will remain in demand longer than gas V8 will and most of those will be bough by dentists and accountants.

yeah, pickups are the last bastion of ice vehicles that are still profitable, so they'll be the last straw for sure
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:
gm has agreed to reopen its huge factory in oshawa (just outside toronto) ... the shutdown was devastating to the community

Quote:
General Motors GM recently announced that its workers in Canada, represented by Unifor, have agreed to a new three-year collective agreement between the union body and the company.The deal encompasses General Motors’ investment to the tune of $1.3 billion, creating 1,700 jobs in the Oshawa plant. More than $109 million will be invested to facilitate V-8 engine and transmission production in St. Catharines.The Oshawa plant will resume production of both light and heavy-duty trucks in 2022, and St. Catharines will manufacture engines for those pick-ups.Unifor’s deal with General Motors marks the third consecutive win for the union body after it struck similar deals with Ford and Fiat Chrysler.

initially there reports that evs would be built at that factory, but they're going with big ol' ice motors

I'd bet a dollar that pickup trucks are the very last vehicles that will be built with ICE engines assuming ICE are not outlawed before that.
I'd bet another dollar on big Diesel pickups will remain in demand longer than gas V8 will and most of those will be bough by dentists and accountants.

yeah, pickups are the last bastion of ice vehicles that are still profitable, so they'll be the last straw for sure

It is more than that.
You have to understand that in a certain demographic there is an almost Shinto-like cult of ancestor worship. Something you see in the South and rural areas where men would feel like they were betraying their forefathers if they did not drive a smoking, belching, road crushing big pickup.
In the same way these same men will refuse to adopt healthier eating habits because their daddies ate smoked brisket for breakfast, lunch and dinner and to not do the same thing is to say your daddy was wrong and that brings dishonor into the picture.
Then there is the political angle where eating healthy and caring about the environment are both seen as subversively liberal ideas. Eating a salad is a dangerous baby step towards becoming a communist. Driving an EV of any description would be a BIG step in that dreadful direction.
TOS
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

Quote:

It is more than that.
You have to understand that in a certain demographic there is an almost Shinto-like cult of ancestor worship. Something you see in the South and rural areas where men would feel like they were betraying their forefathers if they did not drive a smoking, belching, road crushing big pickup.
In the same way these same men will refuse to adopt healthier eating habits because their daddies ate smoked brisket for breakfast, lunch and dinner and to not do the same thing is to say your daddy was wrong and that brings dishonor into the picture.
Then there is the political angle where eating healthy and caring about the environment are both seen as subversively liberal ideas. Eating a salad is a dangerous baby step towards becoming a communist. Driving an EV of any description would be a BIG step in that dreadful direction.

of course they're huge in rural areas, but how big a percentage of the global market are american rednecks?

edit:

a bit of googling indicates that 3 million pickups were sold in the usa last year, while global sales for electric vehicles is just over 2 million

early days yet, clearly, but as adoption of evs grow, pickups will start to become a niche market

and one wonders what will happen to the infrastructure oer time -- gas stations, spare parts, etc
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

Quote:

It is more than that.

of course they're huge in rural areas, but how big a percentage of the global market are american rednecks?

edit:

a bit of googling indicates that 3 million pickups were sold in the usa last year, while global sales for electric vehicles is just over 2 million

early days yet, clearly, but as adoption of evs grow, pickups will start to become a niche market

and one wonders what will happen to the infrastructure oer time -- gas stations, spare parts, etc

Oh, I know it will be a niche, I am just saying that I think the whole ICE era will have a long tail on it unless ICE are outlawed entirely, something I just don't see happening in the USA.
TOS
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

Quote:

It is more than that.

edit:

Oh, I know it will be a niche, I am just saying that I think the whole ICE era will have a long tail on it unless ICE are outlawed entirely, something I just don't see happening in the USA.

probably right, especially in the us of a

jurisdictions around the world, however, are on track to ban internal combustion entirely ... god knows if they'll actually follow through, but if they do it will be very interesting to see

canada has similar problems, not just the love of pickups, but the very long distances and lingering suspicions of the technology
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
The UK moves up deadline to ban the sale of combustion-engine vehicles

Quote:
The United Kingdom will ban the sale of new combustion-engine vehicles by 2030, Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced today. It will also ban the sale of new hybrid cars by 2035. Johnson made the announcement tonight as part of a new ten-point plan for a “green industrial revolution.”

This is the second time Johnson has moved up the deadline. The original plan was to stop sales of petrol and diesel-powered vehicles by 2040. Back in February, Johnson moved the target to 2035. He’s come under increasing pressure to crack down on gas-guzzling cars in order to meet the UK’s broader goal of eliminating emissions contributing to climate change by 2050.

Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

Quote:

It is more than that.

edit:

probably right, especially in the us of a

jurisdictions around the world, however, are on track to ban internal combustion entirely ... god knows if they'll actually follow through, but if they do it will be very interesting to see

canada has similar problems, not just the love of pickups, but the very long distances and lingering suspicions of the technology

Poorer areas are unlikely to abandon cheap little ICE driven vehicles any time soon. China and India will both be building ICE vehicles for the poor masses long after the West has abandoned them.
General Motors’ electric vehicle plan just got bigger, bolder, and more expensive

GM says it will spend $27 billion by 2025 to release 30 EVs globally

Quote:
“Climate change is real, and we want to be part of the solution by putting everyone in an electric vehicle,” Barra said in a statement. “We are transitioning to an all-electric portfolio from a position of strength and we’re focused on growth. We can accelerate our EV plans because we are rapidly building a competitive advantage in batteries, software, vehicle integration, manufacturing and customer experience.”

TOS
gm says a new breakthrough in battery tech will dramatically lower costs and extend range to 450 miles on a charge

link: https://t.co/kDxP7yBdpZ
Pariah Know Your Enemy
One thing for sure. Countries with big lithium deposits better mind their manners, they are the new oil producers and that means the USA will sweep in and overthrow any government that resists being exploited by American corporations.
We will be going from "blood for oil" to "blood for lithium".
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
A lot of research is going into lithium alternatives like sodium.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
TOS posted:
gm says a new breakthrough in battery tech will dramatically lower costs and extend range to 450 miles on a charge

link: https://t.co/kDxP7yBdpZ

This stuff could be potentially very exciting in the diy community. With the upcoming crate motor, it should be easier to use crashed bolts, possibly even with CCS charging. Top that off with far more efficient batteries, and conversions could get a lot easier in the next couple years.

Hopefully they end up selling modular battery configurations.
Pariah posted:
One thing for sure. Countries with big lithium deposits better mind their manners, they are the new oil producers and that means the USA will sweep in and overthrow any government that resists being exploited by American corporations.

China is already in many countries that have minerals used for tech
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
Pariah posted:

i seem to recall reading that japan found massive reserves of rare earth minerals not long ago
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Pariah posted:

i seem to recall reading that japan found massive reserves of rare earth minerals not long ago

The thing is that "rare earths" are not really all that rare but the extraction process is an environmental nightmare that makes extracting oil shale look clean by comparison. The USA has lots of rare earth, they just cannot be extracted profitably under current environmental protections.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24