Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
Online now: No visible users
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
"Batteries sold separately"
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
I'd love to believe this is real

But when the say it charges in 4 min 40 seconds... and has a 500 KM range... 0-100 kph in under 3 seconds... the performance, maybe, but all that and charging in under 5 minutes? for a 500 km range? no way. And I think a Tesla model S can do 600 km.

Hard to believe. Allegedly coming in 2021

https://www.piech.com/

It's an European company, not sure exactly where from. Could they be better than that russian company making the electric mustang clone?
juice Inadvertently correct
sean Royal Wombat
Call me crazy if you like, but the Polestar 2 is very near the top of my list of considerations for my next car.

macnuke Afar
you lost me at $60,000 msrp
TOS
sean posted:
Call me crazy if you like, but the Polestar 2 is very near the top of my list of considerations for my next car.

same here -- if i could afford it

personally i'm holding out for a vw microbus
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
TOS posted:
sean posted:

same here -- if i could afford it

personally i'm holding out for a vw microbus

Car and driver is drunk again. No way in hell does that thing sell for $40000 US. If it comes over to NA, I’m guessing it’ll start at at least $45-$50k, and probably be more than that.
macnuke Afar
macnuke posted:
you lost me at $60,000 msrp

^^^^^
THE HUMMER IS BACK AS A 350-MILE RANGE ‘ELECTRIC SUPERTRUCK’ THAT CAN DRIVE DIAGONALLY
A $112,000 version will be available in late 2022

I know I'm a fanboy, but I still want Tesla to make a proper all terrain SUV, and the Model X or the Cybertruck ain't it. I'd like something in between those two. Not that I could buy it, but I can dream.
sean Royal Wombat
ukimalefu posted:

The biggest problem, for me, with the new electric hummer, is that it still looks like a hummer (specifically, an H2). Great for brand identity, but, I always thought those were really damn ugly.

EDIT: Also, anyone who has owned a GM derived convertible will likely agree... I bet you anything those removable roof panels will be prone to leakage.

In that same sort of (stupid expensive) ~$100k-ish price range, I think the Rivian R1S is far better looking inside and out.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
One thing that is disappointing about the move to electric is I can already see electrification is going to enable a whole new round of super-sizing vehicles. We already have asphalt crushing behemoths lumbering all over the stick fiddling place and electrics are going to take it to the next level of wastefulness.

Going electric may turn out to deliver many fewer Eco-benifits as we had hoped because, while we will stop burning oil we will be wasting even more resources on vehicle as people keep moving to ever larger and larger rides. Just like we spent the increases in ICE efficiency on greater horsepower instead of greater gas mileage I think consumer preferences are going to end up making EVs much less of a beneficial move and more of a lateral move as far as resources goes.
One important reason why I like the Tesla model 3, is because it's the smaller one.

Now, if they only made this concept hatchback...

TOS
i feel like it would get a boost if it wasn't necessary to retrofit one's house to recharge these things, but i guess that's not possible
TOS posted:
i feel like it would get a boost if it wasn't necessary to retrofit one's house to recharge these things, but i guess that's not possible

Do you have a mini-refractory in your garage to refine your own crude oil into gasoline?

Sure, Tesla would prefer to sell you a Powerwall and a solar-charging roof, but like nearly all Tesla owners you would go to a supercharger station to get your Tesla topped off once every few weeks.
juice Inadvertently correct
DEyncourt posted:
TOS posted:

Do you have a mini-refractory in your garage to refine your own crude oil into gasoline?

Sure, Tesla would prefer to sell you a Powerwall and a solar-charging roof, but like nearly all Tesla owners you would go to a supercharger station to get your Tesla topped off once every few weeks.

The closest one to me is ~90 miles round trip. TOS has a valid point.
TOS
DEyncourt posted:
TOS posted:

the whole reason to charge at home is because you can't really go to a filling station like you can with ice vehicles
dv
TOS posted:

Same electrical requirements as a dryer. Average costs have been dropping for a while: a couple hundred bucks for the charging box/cable (unless you have a Tesla, because they use a different connector than LITERALLY EVERYBODY ELSE), and a couple hundred more to have an electrician run a circuit from your electrical panel & mount the thing.*

It's really not a big deal - it's an expense, but it's somewhere in between WeatherTech floor mats and a Yakima roof rack as far as cost.

*And once that's done, it's trivially easy to swap out a new charging box if cable/connector standards change.
Maybe loads people could re-think their personal transportation wants.
Maybe societies could re-think their personal transportation needs.
But I think the real costs of personal vehicles will always be a profoundly destructive proposition and the dirty politics of the battery will take its place alongside that of oil. I'm also sure we'll have our shiny toys come hell or high water. Because we're progressive.
TOS
Ribtor posted:
But I think the real costs of personal vehicles will always be a profoundly destructive proposition and the dirty politics of the battery will take its place alongside that of oil. I'm also sure we'll have our shiny toys come hell or high water. Because we're progressive.

ah yes, blaming the regular folk as usual

elites are just passive pawns of popular will, after all
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Ribtor posted:

We once had a train system that would take you everywhere, from NYC to Monterey Bay, affordably, scenically, with a much lower carbon footprint, and including Martinis. The elites decided they could make more money off of us with everyone driving their own personal vehicles on the new national freeway system.
TOS
Metacell posted:
Ribtor posted:

We once had a train system that would take you everywhere, from NYC to Monterey Bay, affordably, scenically, with a much lower carbon footprint, and including Martinis. The elites decided they could make more money off of us with everyone driving their own personal vehicles on the new national freeway system.

the masses could have gotten together and built a railroad themselves!
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
TOS posted:
Metacell posted:
Ribtor posted:

the masses could have gotten together and built a railroad themselves!

The lazy complacent swine!
TOS posted:
Ribtor posted:

ah yes, blaming the regular folk as usual

elites are just passive pawns of popular will, after all

I don't know that I have ever written anything to the effect that elites are passive pawns of popular will. Certainly not a thing I believe. The opposite; I believe we are subject to desires presented as 'choices' by the so called elite. But we are willing pawns. That's our failure. We can't claim our innocence from ignorance.

Corporations will present a variety of wasteful products for you to drool over. And children, alongside their elders will climb through dirt to get at the minerals you require. And if the subject of the dirty realities of batteries comes up I think you can be counted on to deflect. Not just you. Just about all the 'enlightened progressives' will help out.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23