Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Online now: Bing (sucks), DEyncourt, Google [Bot], Pariah
Old Yoda agitator
Pariah posted:
One thing nice about an electric pickup truck is that you have enough room in the bed for a decent sized gas generator, charge as you go. :)

Why gas generator? Diesel has enormous advantages.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I was thinking more something more like this:
Winco WL22000VE - 19,000 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator w/ B&S Vanguard Engine

:D
TOS
second electric plane crashes

their safety record isn't great

in their defense, it's brand new technology and the cause of this crash is unknown
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Consider how many died testing prototype combustion engine airplanes. Were there ever any steam powered aircraft (excepting balloons which are a form of hot air power)?
dv
Well, even if you take a solid airframe, if you reengine it and throw off the weight distribution, it can be hairy.
Metacell posted:
Consider how many died testing prototype combustion engine airplanes. Were there ever any steam powered aircraft (excepting balloons which are a form of hot air power)?

There MIGHT have been some attempts at steam-powered aircraft engines (because EVERYTHING likely had been tried, but as they say: to some people everything looks like a nail to be hammered), but frankly the requirement of keeping steam pressure under control means that every steam-powered engine must weigh a proverbial ton even before the consideration of fuel weight. So we can find steam power used in locomotives and watercraft where weight isn't too much of a problem, but weight is always problematic for aircraft.
dv
DEyncourt posted:
Metacell posted:

There MIGHT have been some attempts at steam-powered aircraft engines (because EVERYTHING likely had been tried, but as they say: to some people everything looks like a nail to be hammered), but frankly the requirement of keeping steam pressure under control means that every steam-powered engine must weigh a proverbial ton even before the consideration of fuel weight. So we can find steam power used in locomotives and watercraft where weight isn't too much of a problem, but weight is always problematic for aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw6NFmcnW-8
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
what about...

electric airships!

that should work!
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:
what about...

electric airships!

that should work!

You just watch, I bet it won't be long until someone makes a solar airship for a non-stop, around the world flight. Just seems inevitable.
Maybe have hydrogen ICE engines as a backup.
dv
Pariah posted:
ukimalefu posted:
what about...

electric airships!

that should work!

You just watch, I bet it won't be long until someone makes a solar airship for a non-stop, around the world flight. Just seems inevitable.
Maybe have hydrogen ICE engines as a backup.

I vaguely recall reading about something like that in Popular Mechanics, once upon a time.
ukimalefu posted:
what about...

electric airships!

that should work!

Maybe they can use hydrogen fuel cells instead of batteries? Can't see much going wrong with that.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL

What’s Powering The Electric Car Charging Station? A Diesel Generator

https://principia-scientific.org/whats- ... generator/
:facepalm:

I believe that could be converted to biodiesel.
juice Inadvertently correct
The article mentions more detail about the difficulties with EV in Australia. The issues are similar to vast stretches of the United States.
Volkswagen will help turn old Beetles and microbuses electric

Quote:
Volkswagen has announced a new way for vintage Beetle owners to convert their cars to battery electric power. The automaker is partnering with a German firm called eClassics that will actually perform the retrofits, while VW will provide the batteries and powertrain.

Quote:
The German company is not the first automaker to offer a way for owners of vintage cars to convert to electric. Aston Martin announced a “Heritage EV” program in 2018 where owners can convert their classic Astons to electric. Jaguar announced a similar conversion kit effort a few weeks later, which leverages the technology from its first EV, the I-Pace.

TOS
fun fact: china is aiming to have an ev rate of 60% by 2035
I’ve always wondered if the electrical grid is built to support that kind of load.
Those electric mopeds are cool but they fly up on you at 40mph and you can't hear them. It's weird and kind of dangerous.
TOS
juice posted:
I’ve always wondered if the electrical grid is built to support that kind of load.

it's not the problem most people think it will be
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:

They have enough coal fired plants to power them, that's for sure.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

As someone that transports coal, I am conflicted.
First electric VW

Starting at ‘under €30,000’ (33,133.80$) and coming to Europe in 2020

Quote:
the ID.3 will come in three variants that offer between roughly 205 and 340 miles of range.

Quote:
VW says the base version of the ID.3 will only charge at up to 50kW, and owners who want to charge faster (up to 100kW) will have to pay extra; 100kW charging will come standard on the midrange 58kWh version, while even faster 125kW charging will be available on the top-tier ID.3. The company is also offering an eight year / 160,000 kilometer warranty on the ID.3’s battery pack.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/9/20857 ... -show-2019
TOS
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

happily, coal use in china is dropping rapidly
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
First electric VW

Starting at ‘under €30,000’ (33,133.80$) and coming to Europe in 2020

Quote:
the ID.3 will come in three variants that offer between roughly 205 and 340 miles of range.

Quote:
VW says the base version of the ID.3 will only charge at up to 50kW, and owners who want to charge faster (up to 100kW) will have to pay extra; 100kW charging will come standard on the midrange 58kWh version, while even faster 125kW charging will be available on the top-tier ID.3. The company is also offering an eight year / 160,000 kilometer warranty on the ID.3’s battery pack.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/9/20857 ... -show-2019

not bad

but i want the id.buzz, dammit!
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:
TOS posted:

happily, coal use in china is dropping rapidly

As someone who transports coal... I’m conflicted.
Audi's electric concept car from the future

Quote:
Instead of conventional low beams and high beams, the Audi AI:TRAIL is equipped with a total of five rotorless, triangular, electrically operated drones with integrated matrix LED elements. They are capable of landing on a roof rack or directly on the roof of the vehicle, and docking onto the inductive charging elements.

The flying objects are Audi Light Pathfinders, which generate their lift in the same way as bladeless fans produce their air flow. Thanks to their markedly lightweight design, they can fly ahead of the AI:TRAIL, consuming comparably little energy in the process, and illuminate the path ahead, thereby replacing headlights entirely. If desired, the on-board cameras generate a video image that can be transmitted to the display in front of the driver via Wi-Fi, turning the Pathfinders into eyes in the sky.

Go watch the VERY sci-fi video they made

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/10/2085 ... -show-2019

Pessimist alert! Too bad the coolest concept cars almost always stay concepts.
Hyundai’s 45 electric concept car

Quote:
Hyundai’s all-electric concept car, unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show on Tuesday, is a retro-futuristic stunner that harkens back to the automaker’s first foray into mass-produced vehicles over four decades ago.

There’s a distinct late-‘70s / early-‘80s vibe at work here, which is by design. “Inspired by looking back at the brand’s first model in the 1970s, the『45』fully-electric concept car will act as a symbolic milestone for Hyundai’s future EV design,” Hyundai said in its press material.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/10/2082 ... -show-2019
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:
Hyundai’s 45 electric concept car

Quote:
Hyundai’s all-electric concept car, unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show on Tuesday, is a retro-futuristic stunner that harkens back to the automaker’s first foray into mass-produced vehicles over four decades ago.

There’s a distinct late-‘70s / early-‘80s vibe at work here, which is by design. “Inspired by looking back at the brand’s first model in the 1970s, the『45』fully-electric concept car will act as a symbolic milestone for Hyundai’s future EV design,” Hyundai said in its press material.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/10/2082 ... -show-2019

A: I like it, sleek!
B: How the hell they can say that has a late 70's, early 80's inspiration baffles me. I remember cars from that era. Nothing looked remotely like that. Back then anyone trying to be trendy was mimicking Giorgetto Giugiaro and he would have never made a car with curves like this car. Not in that time anyways.
Vulture 420
Nice concept, but I won't hold my breath.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Vulture posted:

I suspect that with electrics we might actually see cars in production closer to show car prototypes. Electrics don't have the constraints caused by having to house a big engine with the associated cooling systems, trans and drive train.
EVs open up a lot of possibilities. Someone needs to make a good looking EV since Tesla can't seem to pull it off.
Lombo Opiofiend
The square headlights are the only thing reminiscent of late 70 / early 80 véhicules.
Lombo Opiofiend
The Audi concept is so nice. Wish I was made of money.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
This is a proper example of a 70's car design:

dv
Pariah posted:
This is a proper example of a 70's car design:

Hellz yeah - we had an '83.
Vulture 420
Pariah posted:
Vulture posted:

I suspect that with electrics we might actually see cars in production closer to show car prototypes. Electrics don't have the constraints caused by having to house a big engine with the associated cooling systems, trans and drive train.
EVs open up a lot of possibilities. Someone needs to make a good looking EV since Tesla can't seem to pull it off.

I agree completely about that idea of what to expect, however, Tesla is the only company "driving" electric cars to any state of possibility forward with design. It is precisely the impact that Tesla has made on consumers and the auto industry with electric car innovation and implementation in the real world that has spawned competing auto manufacturers to conceive of electric concepts to rival the Tesla models that are already on the road and to come in the future.
I can't wait for the day that all available electric car batteries give an average 1000 km range on a charge and all car companies have reliable and exciting options at a fraction of the price of what a Tesla Model X costs, because that's when I'll be in the market to buy one (unless I suddenly have money to burn, then I'll just get a Tesla right away).
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Vulture posted:
Pariah posted:
Vulture posted:

I agree completely about that idea of what to expect, however, Tesla is the only company "driving" electric cars to any state of possibility forward with design. It is precisely the impact that Tesla has made on consumers and the auto industry with electric car innovation and implementation in the real world that has spawned competing auto manufacturers to conceive of electric concepts to rival the Tesla models that are already on the road and to come in the future.
I can't wait for the day that all available electric car batteries give an average 1000 km range on a charge and all car companies have reliable and exciting options at a fraction of the price of what a Tesla Model X costs, because that's when I'll be in the market to buy one (unless I suddenly have money to burn, then I'll just get a Tesla right away).

I doubt we will ever see regular EVs with a 100k range. Automakers seem to have decided that around 250 to 350 miles range is what they will build. Been that way with ICE cars forever.
Vulture 420
It's the battery advancement that will dictate a longer range. A Tesla had already driven 560 miles on a test track on one charge, and a 1000 km range would be 620 miles. Obviously real world use would not give you 560 miles, but advancements in batteries, which is one of the things Tesla does, will get them there.
On the other hand, with ICE, isn't that limited range dictated by the end of possible engine design efficiency? The average cars seem to have hit a brick wall of around 35 mpg no matter what ridiculous ideas they come up with, from variable valve timing to shutting the motor off during idle stops like traffic lights.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Vulture posted:
It's the battery advancement that will dictate a longer range. A Tesla had already driven 560 miles on a test track on one charge, and a 1000 km range would be 620 miles. Obviously real world use would not give you 560 miles, but advancements in batteries, which is one of the things Tesla does, will get them there.

The advancements will be used to make smaller batteries possible if standard industry practices continue. It's like phones. With current hardware and software tech it would be nothing for Apple to make an iPhone with a 24 hour battery, but instead they use better battery tech so they can use a smaller battery for the same battery life of older tech.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Electric cars are the future

Page: 1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8