Electric cars are the future

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
That's a shame, they spent a lot of time getting rid of the distortions where it curves up the roof.
TOS
i'm really liking the polestar 2

Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:
I got to thinking about Tesla cars so I went to browse thru the Tesla Motors site and looks like I would never buy a Tesla for something that has nothing to do with them being electric.
Unless I missed something it looks like every Tesla comes with that transparent sky roof and I would never in a million years buy a car featuring a see through roof. My car has a sunroof and the best feature of that sunroof is the solid panel I can slide over it to cover it up.
I stick fiddling HATE having the sun beating down on me in when it is high in the sky. The only time I open my sunroof is in the evening or night time. But during the day it is closed off so I don't have to deal with the suns glare during the day.
My glass in my sunroof is quite darkly tinted but even with that it is unpleasant during the day.
I was kinda disappointed about the roof situation with Tesla cars. They are nice but I could never buy one as they are.

dude you know i love you but sometimes you sound so damn cantankerous

:shrug: I know what I like.
I detest skylights for the same reason. That said my sister and a couple friends have Teslas. Its not actually a problem. The tint is dark enough during daytime. Note they lighten up at night.
TOS
when i was a kid my dad's pontiac had a t-top with removable sunroofs, i loved it, stared out every time i went for a ride
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
This one is covered in solar panels

Too bad it's ugly. And if I understand correctly, the solar panels only work as range extender.

https://lightyear.one/
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:
This one is covered in solar panels

Too bad it's ugly. And if I understand correctly, the solar panels only work as range extender.

https://lightyear.one/

And not much of a range extender. Given output of modern panels and the draw of an EV it would probably take a week or more of full sun to charge a car up. But onboard panels could be useful for running the environmental controls for the EV batteries to keep them within operating temps while parked in very hot or very cold environments.
But, yes that car is ugly and is a good example of the kind of styling that has held back alternative cars for decades. People want cars that don't scream "I am and alt energy car!!!".
Fortunately it seems like at least some companies have grokked that truth, others, like Light Year seem to have missed the memo.
obvs precoupado
I don't think that car is ugly.

I actually like the way it looks.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
obvs posted:
I don't think that car is ugly.

I actually like the way it looks.

I am not a fan of cab-forward designs in general.
macnuke Afar
obvs precoupado
I've never actually liked vehicles that have really long hoods.

:shrug:
Pariah Know Your Enemy
macnuke posted:

me neither

Nice and....

macnuke Afar
I would drive that. and enjoy every moment of it.
TOS
not that they're phallic or anything
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
not that they're phallic or anything

Ya, ya and all doorways are vaginas.
Fake noise will be added to new electric cars starting today in the EU

Quote:
All new models of electric cars sold in the European Union must now make artificial noise under certain conditions, reports BBC News. Acoustic Vehicle Alert Systems (aka, AVAS) will need to be installed in new models of hybrid and electric cars introduced from today onward, and all existing models by July 2021. With an AVAS installed, vehicles will need to make a sound while traveling under 12 mph, or while reversing.

There's a sample video from Nissan with cool sci-fi sounds, but it's not the Jetsons sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdWswvLPdE0
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

Quote:
All new models of electric cars sold in the European Union must now make artificial noise under certain conditions, reports BBC News. Acoustic Vehicle Alert Systems (aka, AVAS) will need to be installed in new models of hybrid and electric cars introduced from today onward, and all existing models by July 2021. With an AVAS installed, vehicles will need to make a sound while traveling under 12 mph, or while reversing.

There's a sample video from Nissan with cool sci-fi sounds, but it's not the Jetsons sound:

multiple carmakers are already doing that with internal combustion cars, been doing it for years

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a ... -11291754/
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Quote:

multiple carmakers are already doing that with internal combustion cars, been doing it for years

There are two different things, vroom vroom sounds inside or outside to fool idiots, and electric vehicles making sounds outside for pedestrians safety.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Quote:

There are two different things, vroom vroom sounds inside or outside to fool idiots, and electric vehicles making sounds outside for pedestrians safety.

Ya, the safety sounds are needed, the interior sound are the adult version of sticking a playing card in the spokes of a bike.
Pariah posted:
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Quote:

Ya, the safety sounds are needed, the interior sound are the adult version of sticking a playing card in the spokes of a bike.

Doesn't mean it's any less fun. The symposer on my car never fails to put a smile on my face. Granted that's just natural engine sounds being focused and amplified, but still.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS
slow transition to electric cost ceo of bmw his job

Quote:
As Krueger puzzled over how to reinvent BMW for the electric age, it was almost a year before he presented his strategic vision, which was a bust. He delayed BMW’s next major electric car, effectively squandering its leadership in the field. Key engineers quit to set up an electric-vehicle startup. And to help pay for the shift, Krueger doubled down on gas-guzzling, super-charged luxury cars such as the 8-Series sports car and full-size X7 SUV.

At Krueger’s first major public appearance, at the Frankfurt car show in 2015, the CEO collapsed on stage minutes into a presentation. He blamed the episode on dehydration and too many hours flying, but it was an apt metaphor for his leadership.

THE LOTUS EVIJA IS A LUDICROUSLY POWERFUL ELECTRIC HYPERCAR

Quote:
In true hypercar fashion, only 130 will be made, and they will each start at £1.5 million ($1.86 million).

The price isn’t the Evija’s only spine-shivering number. The hypercar packs a 1,972-horsepower punch thanks to four electric motors, one dedicated to each wheel. It will have a top speed of over 200 miles per hour and can go from 0 to 60 miles per in under 3 seconds. Lotus is targeting 250 miles of range, which is quite high considering the performance the company is touting, and the company also says the car can be charged to 80 percent from zero in just 12 minutes on 350kW chargers (like can be found on Volkswagen’s Electrify America network), with a full charge taking only 18 minutes. And when 800kW charging becomes available, Lotus says a full charge will take just nine minutes.

Oh, by the way, Lotus is chinese now.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
It will be no time now until electric cars completely blow gas-powered cars out of the water on every conceivable level (well except for that gas-pump smell).
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

THE LOTUS EVIJA IS A LUDICROUSLY POWERFUL ELECTRIC HYPERCAR

Quote:
In true hypercar fashion, only 130 will be made, and they will each start at £1.5 million ($1.86 million).

The price isn’t the Evija’s only spine-shivering number. The hypercar packs a 1,972-horsepower punch thanks to four electric motors, one dedicated to each wheel. It will have a top speed of over 200 miles per hour and can go from 0 to 60 miles per in under 3 seconds. Lotus is targeting 250 miles of range, which is quite high considering the performance the company is touting, and the company also says the car can be charged to 80 percent from zero in just 12 minutes on 350kW chargers (like can be found on Volkswagen’s Electrify America network), with a full charge taking only 18 minutes. And when 800kW charging becomes available, Lotus says a full charge will take just nine minutes.

Oh, by the way, Lotus is chinese now.

meh, so's volvo
juice Inadvertently correct
So is Smithfield Foods
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Don't worry!

TRUMP will save us!
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Electric cars are the future

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5