End of the line for Sears

Online now: DEyncourt
maurvir Meat popsicle
Yeah, I know, I thought they had already gone out of business too. For a scathing opinion on why they are less than 24 hours from the end, here you go:

Sears a "case study" in how not to run a retailer
obvs precoupado
The CEO basically bought the store to run it into the ground.

I really don't want him to succeed in the way he's trying to.
TOS
when i think of all the american companies that once employed thousands and ended up on the junkheap because small groups of investors wanted to loot 'n' leave, i start to understand just how it was the rust belt became rusty
juice Inadvertently correct
They built their business on catalog. This was Amazon long before the internet. I find it most interesting that they couldn't figure out how to make online shopping work for them.
maurvir Meat popsicle
Yeah, if ANY company should have made the digital transition, it should have been Sears. They were Amazon before Amazon could have existed.
TOS
by the time online shopping came along, sears was already toast

first they were hit by department stores, then wal-mart, and after that a completely idiotic merger with k-mart pretty much cooked their goose

nowadays amazon and wal-mart put together account for half of all retail; sears is less than 1%

when thinking of the amazon model, remember that amazon started out as a tech firm that worked in retail; they spent vast sums over many years developing the technology before they started turning a profit

sears just didn't have the resources or know-how to make that happen

yes they were a pioneering catalog company, but that part of their business was pretty much gone by the 80s ... and in fact the heyday of catalog shopping was over a century ago
maurvir Meat popsicle
TOS posted:

first they were hit by department stores, then wal-mart, and after that a completely idiotic merger with k-mart pretty much cooked their goose

nowadays amazon and wal-mart put together account for half of all retail; sears is less than 1%

when thinking of the amazon model, remember that amazon started out as a tech firm that worked in retail; they spent vast sums over many years developing the technology before they started turning a profit

yes they were a pioneering catalog company, but that part of their business was pretty much gone by the 80s ... and in fact the heyday of catalog shopping was over a century ago

All true. It's just ironic that a company that grew up on mail order catalogs couldn't figure out how to transition to a very similar business model. Sure, Amazon is searchable in a way a paper catalog will never be, but the idea of sending in your payment in exchange for future delivery of a product isn't that far removed from what Sears & Roebuck were doing in the late 19th century.
maurvir posted:
TOS posted:

All true. It's just ironic that a company that grew up on mail order catalogs couldn't figure out how to transition to a very similar business model. Sure, Amazon is searchable in a way a paper catalog will never be, but the idea of sending in your payment in exchange for future delivery of a product isn't that far removed from what Sears & Roebuck were doing in the late 19th century.

Hell, iirc you could have a catalog and order anything over the phone and get it sent to your house. That's not much different then going through a website. And they had the stores so you could go in person to pick up or return something.
Old Yoda agitator
Sears died in the early 1970s.
Their main success was due to quality of their merchandise. Their brands, Kenmore, Craftsman, and DieHard were among the most trusted and preferred brands in the U.S.
With a new breed of bean counters quality dropped spelling the end.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Quote:
By 2016, a survey of women shoppers found they preferred to shop at Goodwill to Sears.

Ouch.
gd Ya boi, Guzma
Although I rarely ever shopped there, I liked Sears. The store bring back memories of my grandmother.
obvs precoupado
Pariah posted:
Quote:
By 2016, a survey of women shoppers found they preferred to shop at Goodwill to Sears.

Ouch.
Goodwill is an awesome place to shop.
obvs posted:
Pariah posted:
Quote:

Ouch.
Goodwill is an awesome place to shop.

They are a delight, especially when you find things in your size. I found a leather jacket that I love and i wear whenever possible.

Sadly I'm a bit taller then the majority of Calgarians so most clothes are either too short or too wide for me.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
They are a wasteful company though (I worked for them). They are supposed to be a non-profit who used the money they make to provide job training for their employees (ostensibly to get better high-skill jobs). They don't. It's all profit.

They are not as bad as the anti-gay Salvation Army though.
I grew up with a Sears catalogue in the house. It taught me how men stand when they are wearing a sweater.
TOS
*cough*boobs*cough*

juice Inadvertently correct
A and B are about to kiss
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Betonhaus posted:

Hell, iirc you could have a catalog and order anything over the phone and get it sent to your house.

You could even get a house shipped to you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Catalog_Home
TOS
Séamas posted:
Betonhaus posted:

Hell, iirc you could have a catalog and order anything over the phone and get it sent to your house.

You could even get a house shipped to you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Catalog_Home

didn't they offer power plants too?
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

End of the line for Sears