Impending Galactic Crash Could Rip Open the Black Hole...

Online now: Google [Bot], Warin
maurvir Meat popsicle
...at the Milky Way’s Center

:eek:

Quote:
The end of the Milky Way as we know it may come a few billion years ahead of schedule.

According to a new paper published Jan. 4 in the journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, our home galaxy appears to be on a crash course with one of its nearest satellites, the spiral of stars known as the Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC).

This cosmic crash, modeled in lovely and terrifying detail by a team of astrophysicists at Durham University in the U.K., could begin as soon as 2 billion years from now — roughly 2 billion to 3 billion years sooner than the long-anticipated collision between the Milky Way and its nearest cosmic neighbor, the Andromeda Galaxy. (Adjust your doomsday clocks accordingly.)

Oh, 2 to 3 billions years? :squint:
juice Inadvertently correct
That makes today’s tasks at work seem even more meaningless than usual. ;)
TOS
nowadays even scientific papers are clickbait
Honestly I thought that was Andromeda Click bait.

That being said I generally ignore anything claiming impending doom from space thanks to the time frames involved.
macnuke Afar
I won't be here that long... it's Ok
That entire article could have had this addendum:
Quote:
Or maybe not. To be honest we are not sure of any of this.

Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
Anything more than 100 light years away probably isn't my problem.

Anything more than a thousand light years away almost definitely isn't my problem.
obvs posted:
Anything more than 100 light years away probably isn't my problem.

Anything more than a thousand light years away almost definitely isn't my problem.

Except quasars I think; but we will never see them coming so it's a moot point to worry about them.
Ehhhh, that's a click bait title. 'Rip open' being the fanciful part. The rest of it, about the central black hole 'waking up' as in starting to glow more brightly when it gets more stuff to suck up, is certainly true. Since our solar system is in the disk and away from the jet our black hole will spew, it should just be a pretty light show for our descendants.
maurvir Meat popsicle
Kirk posted:
Ehhhh, that's a click bait title. 'Rip open' being the fanciful part. The rest of it, about the central black hole 'waking up' as in starting to glow more brightly when it gets more stuff to suck up, is certainly true. Since our solar system is in the disk and away from the jet our black hole will spew, it should just be a pretty light show for our descendants.

Got you to click, though, didn't it? ;)
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Impending Galactic Crash Could Rip Open the Black Hole...