Midieval Times throws a wench in the works

Online now: Bing (sucks), Majestic-12 [Bot]
maurvir Outlier
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... dark-ages/

Quote:
The Dairy Queen used to reign supreme over the Arundel Mills shopping mall. But last month, a new ruler ascended the throne: All hail Doña Maria Isabella, who presides over a kingdom of knights and squires, horses and falcons, rotisserie chicken, middle-schoolers wearing paper crowns and Honda Odysseys in the parking lot of the fake castle it shares with a Best Buy next door.

History is being made at the same time it’s being reenacted at Medieval Times. It’s the first time a female ruler has presided over the equestrian jousting dinner theater experience in its nearly 35-year history in America. Gender equality and the #MeToo and Time’s Up movements are still making progress in politics and the C-suite, but at least here, in this version of 11th-century Spain, cultural forces have unseated a long-ruling monarch.

I used to walk past that place all the time when I lived in Odenton, MD. Never was willing to cough up the $60/person to go see it, though.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I've been twice. It's fun.
The first time in Schaumburg IL, reminded be a bit of professional wrestling. The knights in the final battle seemed to be really going at it, like they really didn't like each other and were going a bit off script; the swords sparked when they hit each other and the blows to the shields sounded hard.
When I went again a couple of years ago in Myrtle Beach, the show wasn't as good. The trick horses were not the Lipizzaner Stallions and the knights were just phoning it in.
The jousting was good at both (that's really fun to watch).
As far as the backstory goes, or the King or Queen, or Princess, or the Black Knight, or the evil Wizard ...
Nobody pays any attention to that human waste! STFU and get on with the show!
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Is that where The Cable Guy was filmed?
I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Is it like that dinner theatre thing that has an ad on TV?
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
I'm almost positive the last time I was at a Medieval times (March of this year) the ruler was the queen . . . No king.

But maybe not.
dv
C. Ives posted:
I'm almost positive the last time I was at a Medieval times (March of this year) the ruler was the queen . . . No king.

But maybe not.

Something something <mean stereotype about theater nerds> something something.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
dv posted:
C. Ives posted:

But maybe not.

Something something <mean stereotype about theater nerds> something something.

*reports dv to the principal using the STOPit app*
user Stupid cockwomble
uh, yeah

nerds with stick fiddling SWORDS
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
Betonhaus posted:
I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Is it like that dinner theatre thing that has an ad on TV?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utnODrb6mFM
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Medieval times is a place I have never had the slightest interest in and there is one not 5mi from my house. I won't go there for the same reason I don't go to circuses, rodeos and other entertainments that exploit animals.
obvs posted:
Betonhaus posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utnODrb6mFM

So it is. It looks like LARPing that tries to legitimize itself
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Oh, I don't know if MT is exploitative. In my limited time around horses I've come to the belief that they are intelligent, resourceful, brave, and highly competitive among themselves. They love learning and showing off. At dressage competitions you can just feel their pride as they strut around the ring.
Now, horse racing, (May the gods of Kentucky have mercy on me), I think is exploitative; but if they're not abused I can live with it.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Pariah Know Your Enemy
DukeofNuke posted:
Oh, I don't know if MT is exploitative. In my limited time around horses I've come to the belief that they are intelligent, resourceful, brave, and highly competitive among themselves. They love learning and showing off. At dressage competitions you can just feel their pride as they strut around the ring.
Now, horse racing, (May the gods of Kentucky have mercy on me), I think is exploitative; but if they're not abused I can live with it.

You may be right but I have a bias. I am going to assume that a large, nation-wide chain that uses animals their main draw is likely mistreating the animals.
Guilty until proven innocent, basically.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Pariah posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

You may be right but I have a bias. I am going to assume that a large, nation-wide chain that uses animals their main draw is likely mistreating the animals.
Guilty until proven innocent, basically.

Well, if that were found to be true, I would certainly address the issue with a VERY strongly worded Facebook post!
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Midieval Times throws a wench in the works