A sign of the times

Online now: Google [Bot], juice
After January 3, 2018, no US airline company uses any 747s.

That last Delta 747 made its final flight to the aircraft "boneyard" in the Mojave Desert the following day.

There are some non-US carriers which still use 747s (your best bet to get one would be British Airways), AND you could order a custom 747 from Boeing now. And, of course, the current Air Force One is a 747 ("DATED! So sad!")
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
gd Ya boi, Guzma
Could you guys educate me on why this is a big deal?
justine Elitist Beer Lover
gd posted:

This
maurvir Perfectly balanced - mostly
The 747 is what democratized air travel. It was the plane that Boeing built to compete with what was, at the time, the European model of faster, but more expensive, aircraft like the Concorde. When the first wide-bodied 747's came out and could cross the Atlantic or Pacific with hundreds of paying passengers, the world opened up to the rest of us.

Before the 747, air travel was for the wealthy elites, because few others could afford the air fare. However, when you were sharing the cost over hundreds of passengers, you could drop prices and still make a huge profit. That's why it's a big deal.
I did the Boeing factory tour at the plant in Everett a few years ago. Sadly, there were absolutely no cameras allowed. I got to see an Emirates -8 being built and man, that is a highly impressive factory!

The next day I visited the Seattle Museum of Flight, and they have the prototype 747 on display. Until you’ve stood under the giant nose of that monster, it really is hard to grasp how massive it is.

I have never flown in a 747, and now it looks like I won’t, barring an overseas flight.

Heh. I did fly in a Dash 8 over Christmas, but just a Dash 8, not a 747-8. :D
So to sum it up everything was a nice experience until the 747 came out and segmented the market into separate upper, middle and lower classes?
TOS
Aaron_R posted:
So to sum it up everything was a nice experience until the 747 came out and segmented the market into separate upper, middle and lower classes?

more accurately, it made sure that air travel stopped being an exclusive mode of transport to a select few and started being a volume business with hordes of humans jammed in like so much sweaty cattle

i remember one flight i took on a 747; my seat was on the second floor that was originally intended to be a lounge

there was an initial "oh cool, i'm on a 747" feeling that lasted all of twelve minutes -- after that it was always "dear lord are we there yet?"
gd Ya boi, Guzma
TOS posted:
Aaron_R posted:

more accurately, it made sure that air travel stopped being an exclusive mode of transport to a select few and started being a volume business with hordes of humans jammed in like so much sweaty cattle

i remember one flight i took on a 747; my seat was on the second floor that was originally intended to be a lounge

there was an initial "oh cool, i'm on a 747" feeling that lasted all of twelve minutes -- after that it was always "dear lord are we there yet?"

Those planes had two floors? Damn, sounds like a cruise-ship for the skies, albeit an uncomfortable one, I bet.

I digress, I've never flown...
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
They originally had a piano lounge on the second floor
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I think I have only flown in 737's.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
gd posted:

The real reason this is a big, albeit dated, deal, is no more Benny Hill airline big breast jokes.
DukeofNuke posted:
They originally had a piano lounge on the second floor

I think that the lounge for the second deck (which was in a separate section behind the pilots) never EVER got beyond being just a proposal as the airlines opted to put in more seats.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
so know that they're retiring them would be a good time to get an used one cheap?
Just another sign of ostentatiousness gone mad. Although I'd buy one for my rap video.
ukimalefu posted:
so know that they're retiring them would be a good time to get an used one cheap?

That particular Delta 747 was JUST retired having spent this past Thursday on its final flight to the Mojave Desert jet boneyard (location selected for its predominantly dry conditions).

On the other hand I suspect that those airline companies that still fly 747s pick out parts from those jets at the boneyard at a substantial discount under buying a new part from Boeing, so the likelihood of getting a whole 747 probably gets dramatically worse over time.
One day we'll be able to download the schematics and print them out.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
You want a sign of the times? Try Basic Economy Fares.

I was on a business trip recently and the sponsoring organization booked the flight at that fare level. Yeeeeshh, never again will I let them do that to me.
Anyone know the commonly used name for the 747?
Ribtor posted:
Anyone know the commonly used name for the 747?

Jumbo Jet?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Vulture 420
Reminds me of the landmark movie Soul Plane.
I flew on a Korean Airlines 747 (relatively new as well) when I visited home over summer. Korean Airlines had relatively nice interiors, and the plane was fine, but I really think I've preferred the new 777s and the 787s for the long flights, though I would be hard pressed to explain why I feel that way. I will say I generally prefer the Boeing planes over the Airbus equivalents; just flew in a brand new A350 on Cathay when I went home for Christmas and it was not as nice as the 787. Sometimes it's hard to say whether the differences are the plane or the airline though; the brand new 777s used by China Airlines are wonderful (except for the horrible fake wood trim they use between cabin sections) whereas the older 777 Cathay put me on for one flight just wasn't anywhere near as nice.

From previous reading around the 747, it's probably done as a passenger plane. Not many are being ordered, and only a few airlines still use them. Those who want a plane that full are going with the A380, which seats more people, otherwise the 777 tends to be easier to fill and operate properly. Plus the 787's combination of range, fuel efficiency, and smaller capacity are really changing how a lot of airlines plan routes and provide service.
sean Royal Wombat
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I flew on a 747 several times way back in the 70's. Smoking cigarettes, getting drunk on free cocktails.
Comfy.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

A sign of the times