So, why the tanker?

Online now: ukimalefu
Pariah Know Your Enemy
This afternoon I was practically knocked off my feet by a C-135 tanker that blasted over my yard this afternoon at tree top level.
I was out with the dogs and it went over under FULL military thrust. The sound had all three dogs flat on the ground.
I have no idea what that was about.
sean Royal Wombat
Awesome.

As to why.... Because they can.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I used to live down by Tinker. I have never, ever, seen a heavyweight like that under full power over civilian airspace.
I need to emphasis that this pass was under FULL power.
TOS
perhaps they were having a problem or two
Or perhaps someone needed some gas ASAP and that was the closest tanker?
dv
Tankers dont do that. Cargo flights practice insertion and gunships do low altitude stuff. Prop or turbofan?

Never underestimate the appeal of stick fiddling around in an airplane though.
sean Royal Wombat
dv posted:
Prop or turbofan?

He said it was a KC-135, which would be a turbofan engine'd aircraft. It's the militarized sister to the Boeing 707.
dv
sean posted:
dv posted:
Prop or turbofan?

He said it was a KC-135, which would be a turbofan engine'd aircraft. It's the militarized sister to the Boeing 707.

I know what a KC-135 is.

He said "C-135". So maybe he meant a C-130, which are a) a lot more common, and b) would be more common to see in lower-altitude use. Although some 135s are operated out of Illinois.

I am assuming less than encyclopedic knowledge of airframes, and am asking for information that would make it clear.
TOS
whatever plane it was, i think we can rest assured that it was jumbo-sized
There's an ANG tanker base up in those parts.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
ANG does low altitude practice runs around here quite often. I've seen B-52s fly over so low you could see their bomb-bay doors were open.
It's cool when the F-18s roar down the valley so low they rattle windows.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
dv posted:
Tankers dont do that. Cargo flights practice insertion and gunships do low altitude stuff. Prop or turbofan?

The fuel boom on the back was unmistakable.
dv
Pariah posted:
dv posted:

The fuel boom on the back was unmistakable.

Fair enough.
kamizuno Lasercat targeting.....
Welcome to my world, I live directly under the landing pattern of Honolulu airport, the regular jets are bad enuf but the military routinely fly over seemingly using full afterburners by the noise they make :0
user Stupid cockwomble
kamizuno posted:
Honolulu airport

to me, that alone would make up for it
Séamas Honorary Consul General
DukeofNuke posted:
I've seen B-52s fly over so low you could see their bomb-bay doors were open.

A friend of mine was a Navigator on B-52s. He told a story about taking one into some canyon out west, and turned a corner and totally freaked out the people down at some resort/beach along the river. Apparently got in a good deal of trouble for it.

I used to live along the landing approach to LaGuardia airport. Just inside 2 miles of the runway. Planes would come diagonally down our street while lowering landing gear. In certain weather conditions they would maker more steep descents, which would convince us that the plane was coming directly at the house. Seriously nerve-racking.
kamizuno Lasercat targeting.....
user posted:
kamizuno posted:
Honolulu airport

to me, that alone would make up for it

if you wouldnt mind jets flying over your house every 10 minutes then yeah, my place is great, as is it takes years to get used to the noise, Ive lived here 47 years and I no longer even notice the planes :)
TOS
Séamas posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
I've seen B-52s fly over so low you could see their bomb-bay doors were open.

A friend of mine was a Navigator on B-52s. He told a story about taking one into some canyon out west, and turned a corner and totally freaked out the people down at some resort/beach along the river. Apparently got in a good deal of trouble for it.

I used to live along the landing approach to LaGuardia airport. Just inside 2 miles of the runway. Planes would come diagonally down our street while lowering landing gear. In certain weather conditions they would maker more steep descents, which would convince us that the plane was coming directly at the house. Seriously nerve-racking.

i still remember well hong kong's old airport ... totally nuts, practically had to dodge apartment blocks on the way in
The airport is about 20 minutes from my place but I've never been to watch the planes come in.
dv
I worked at a school that was in the landing path of the local airport. I got used to the noise, but the shadows made me jump.
TOS
Ribtor posted:
The airport is about 20 minutes from my place but I've never been to watch the planes come in.

didn't one of those spectators recently die? thought i saw that in the news
ukimalefu Wasn't me
TOS posted:
Ribtor posted:

didn't one of those spectators recently die? thought i saw that in the news

there are signs that warn against standing there, but do people read them? and if they do read them, do they care? I think you know the answer to that.
sean Royal Wombat
I used to live under the approach to EWR (Newark Intl'). Saw some cool things over the years, including Concord, once, when she had to divert from JFK, as well as a load of military stuff, in addition to all the passenger traffic. I also saw this big Russian lady go overhead on a couple of occasions:

Antonov AN-255 "Mryia"
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

So, why the tanker?