Rats!

Page: 1, 2, 3
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Kirk, Majestic-12 [Bot], Metacell
obvs precoupado
Yori Program
We tend to use Celcius in the colder months and Fahrenheit in the hotter months, unofficially.
dv
Yori posted:
We tend to use Celcius in the colder months and Fahrenheit in the hotter months, unofficially.

Based on what I've seen on TV, you also drink nothing but coffee and eat nothing but indian food.

Strangest country ever.
dv posted:
Yori posted:

Based on what I've seen on TV, you also drink nothing but coffee and eat nothing but indian food.

Strangest country ever.

Coffee? Really?

Try tea. :)
dv
Warin posted:
dv posted:
Yori posted:

Strangest country ever.

Coffee? Really?

Try tea. :)

Inorite?

But watch Doc Martin and Torchwood back to back for like a week, and Isweartogod nobody drinks tea.

Unless they just dub it over for the Colonials.
Yori Program
1 week old today :)

Yori Program
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Yori posted:
Watch the baby on the wheel...

https://youtu.be/bfVa_Z1Uh_Y

That's adorable.... :cry:
Yori Program
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
seriously, how can rats be made to look so cute like that?

you deserve photography awards, if you don't have them already

have you published a rats calendar?

and if you can do that for people's pets I bet you could make good money
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:
seriously, how can rats be made to look so cute like that?

you deserve photography awards, if you don't have them already

have you published a rats calendar?

and if you can do that for people's pets I bet you could make good money

I agree, this is some of the best small animal pictures I have ever seen.
kamizuno Lasercat targeting.....
Id buy a calendar :)
Yori Program
Girls at 6 weeks:

Yori Program
Boys at 6 weeks:

Yori Program
Been a while since I updated this thread. Sadly we lost Teal'c to old age a couple of weeks ago. :(

Also, we had some problems with our latest litter. Treacle gave birth to 13 babies 3 weeks ago but lost 10 of the babies overnight. :(

The 3 who survived were a boy and 2 girls. The boy and one of the girls seem to be doing OK but the other surviving girl appears to have hydrocephalus. We were quite worried for a bit as she didn't seem to be thriving but she's started to put on weight and is doing quite well. She absolutely loves her wheel, which I think is doing her a world of good as she's a bit uncoordinated.

Pancake (Siamese boy)

Tiffin (Burmese girl)

And little Moonpie, or Moop for short (Siamese dumbo girl)

dv
RIP babies... :-(
Yori Program
In other news, this weekend was the London Championships small animal show and we showed Dickhead and Clanger today. Dickhead won best stud buck taking him to 6 stars (you need 8 stars for a rat to become a silver champion (silver is the lowest tier for some reason, then gold and platinum)), and Clanger won his class and came 4th in the supreme challenge (4th out of 81 rats is pretty good). This took him to 8 stars which makes him a champion and eans us our studname. :D
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Yori posted:
In other news, this weekend was the London Championships small animal show and we showed Dickhead and Clanger today. Dickhead won best stud buck taking him to 6 stars (you need 8 stars for a rat to become a silver champion (silver is the lowest tier for some reason, then gold and platinum)), and Clanger won his class and came 4th in the supreme challenge (4th out of 81 rats is pretty good). This took him to 8 stars which makes him a champion and eans us our studname. :D

I had no idea rat shows were a thing!

My world just got a smidge brighter. :)
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
So the T-man has a rat that is two years old now. It has started growing a giant tumor on its chest. It doesn't seem to be uncomfortable, but I'm really not sure what to do. It just gets bigger and bigger. It looks like a giant uni-boob. Do I simply let nature take its course? I can't imagine taking an old rat to the vet for surgery, but I just don't know what to do... :(
Yori Program
If it's older than 2 years surgery probably wouldn't be the best option. I'd personally leave be while the rat is not uncomfortable but once it got too big so as to be unwieldy and potentially get infected then I'd have him put to sleep.
Hey do you have an archive of all these pictures? the older ones don't seem to resolve anymore, and I would love to make a calendar. Already ahve September and October just on this page.
Yori Program
OK, I know it's been a while since I posted in this thread but this little girl deserves a post.

In one of our current litters there was one baby that was half the size of her siblings. She honestly looked like a baby mouse.

We didn't expect her to last more than a couple of days but every day she was still there. We decided to document her progress so that other breeders could use our experience when they had runts born. As we were using a penny to gauge her size we named her Penny Bun (Penny for short) in keeping with our current baked goods naming theme. For reference, a penny is exactly the same size as a 1c coin.

Over the next couple of weeks she continued to grow at the normal rate, although developmentally she appeared to be a couple of days behind her siblings.

She's doing really well now. She's still smaller than her littermates but not by as much as before. Due to all of the handling for the photos she's really chilled and is a proper little Daddy's girl. :love:

We were originally going to let her go to a pet home with one of her sisters or cousins but she wormed her way into our hearts and is now staying. :D

Last edited by Yori on Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:44 pm.

obvs precoupado
Congratulations.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Wow, she is really cute! :up:
dv
Pariah Know Your Enemy
She may be a runt but she has the determination to live! She is pretty much out of the woods at this point, right?
Keep us posted!!
Yori Program
Yeah, the main concern was when she was weaned. She's doing fine though and has a huge appetite. We think she's going to be fine.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Yori posted:
Yeah, the main concern was when she was weaned. She's doing fine though and has a huge appetite. We think she's going to be fine.

With dogs I have seen runts almost catch up with their littermates.
dv
Pariah posted:
Yori posted:

With dogs I have seen runts almost catch up with their littermates.

Same with fish. I have two mollys in my bedroom tank that were part of a birthing group of four. They're only 2 months old or so. One is about three times the size of the other. But it'll catch up eventually. Probably. Unless it dies, like fish sometimes do.
Yori Program
Had to post this one of Pancake. He's probably the nicest Siamese we've managed to breed so far. His shading and points are near-perfect. :love:

dv
juice Inadvertently correct
Yori Program
We took some comparison pics this morning of Pancake with his uncle Poundcake.

Pariah Know Your Enemy
I love these rat pictures, they always make me smile. Rat models!!
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Rats!

Page: 1, 2, 3