ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Liquid nitrogen in a bowl of gasoline

sorry, no more info or links at the source
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
The magnets and copper one was cool. :)
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
ukimalefu posted:

I'm an EE, so I got what was happening immediately, but that was the coolest demonstration of those principles I have ever seen. Nice find! :up:

why isn't that more widely known?
ukimalefu posted:

Ok, that is cool, but does it help with bacteria? You can have clean looking water that will wreck your ass (literally and figuratively).
dv
maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Ok, that is cool, but does it help with bacteria? You can have clean looking water that will wreck your ass (literally and figuratively).

If the bacteria is too small for the "glue" to work, you can always put the "clean" water into another bottle w/ a little iodine. Or just drink it with a lifestraw.
dv posted:
maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:

If the bacteria is too small for the "glue" to work, you can always put the "clean" water into another bottle w/ a little iodine. Or just drink it with a lifestraw.

Oh, I definitely think that product is cool. Having had to obtain water from sources that looked like that, or worse, on hiking trips, I would have loved that stuff. However, I hope they let people know what the limitations are.
dv
maurvir posted:
dv posted:
maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Oh, I definitely think that product is cool. Having had to obtain water from sources that looked like that, or worse, on hiking trips, I would have loved that stuff. However, I hope they let people know what the limitations are.

I'm sure they are. Doing otherwise would defeat the purpose of traveling halfway across the planet to help get people clean water.
Amateur astronomer happens to capture in photos first light from supernova in another galaxy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------^ "bottom-center-right", so I above here (?).

Of course that location will vary depending on your browser and default font.

Even more significant: because he was taking a series of short exposures (to prevent his camera-telescope combo from being overexposed due to city lights), his pics are basically the first EVER to capture the light from a supernova DURING its initial brightening.

Practically all such pics are long exposures so even if an astrophotographer happened to get such first light it would be overwhelmed by the later part of that exposure.

EDIT: DELeted my supposition on the supernova's location. See uki's post immediately below.

Last edited by DEyncourt on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:01 am.

DEyncourt posted:
Amateur astronomer happens to capture in photos first light from supernova in another galaxy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------^ "bottom-center-right", so I above here (?).

Of course that location will vary depending on your browser and default font.

Even more significant: because he was taking a series of short exposures (to prevent his camera-telescope combo from being overexposed due to city lights), his pics are basically the first EVER to capture the light from a supernova DURING its initial brightening.

Practically all such pics are long exposures so even if an astrophotographer happened to get such first light it would be overwhelmed by the later part of that exposure.

you can see it pop in and out in the gif

that's from your link

my question, why is the color inverted?
The pic wasn't animated in Safari when I first looked at it. Gizmodo changed it in between when I first looked at looked at it and now because they are different:
mine: ...s--xva0FQh0--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/ktx0ehcvcd6wq4p0y6i3.jpg
yours: ...s--45dgxpXB--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/ktx0ehcvcd6wq4p0y6i3.gif

Thanks for the correction.

SOMETIMES astrophotos are "left" inverted to help bring out details, though early on when astrophotography was first being developed astronomers just used the negative glass plates because making a "proper" photo had chances of introducing errors due to the (lack of) quality of the photographic paper, etc.

I think chances are that this amateur astrophotographer is using a film camera which makes negatives rather than a digital camera.
user Stupid cockwomble
you can certainly see the film grain
ukimalefu posted:

lol. the grandmother goes thats voodoo witchcraft and takes all her kids away with her
user posted:
you can certainly see the film grain

THAT is most likely due to one or more of several treatments to help make photographic film more light sensitive specifically for astrophotography, on top of the fact that these were also a considerable magnification of the original shots (thus blowing up the grain as well). According to Wikipedia, NGC 613 is about 5.2 minutes by 2.6 minutes in extent, so that wider measurement is about 1/6th the distance across the full Moon in the sky.
user Stupid cockwomble
So it's not digital. I stopped using film for scanning when I realized how much the grain affected the picture.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Yeah, I thought it was too grainy to be digital, too.

then I thought, who the fiddlesticks uses film for astrophotography anymore?
DukeofNuke posted:
Yeah, I thought it was too grainy to be digital, too.

then I thought, who the fiddlesticks uses film for astrophotography anymore?

hipster astronomers?
Sweet, sweet hipsters and their sweet, sweet film.

I can't think of any reason to use film unless there is something about the randomness of film grain that cancels itself out when viewed in successive images. That's why movies can be on film and fill huge screens.
"you're gonna need a bigger boat"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3ah_cuZdv0

I have trouble believing it's real

--

By the way, when typing the word "BIGGER", there's an easy typo to make that you'll probably not want to make, so proofread everything and learn to quickly spot the spell checker red squiggly line.
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
ukimalefu posted:

--

By the way, when typing the word "BIGGER", there's an easy typo to make that you'll probably not want to make, so proofread everything and learn to quickly spot the spell checker red squiggly line.

The reactions of the news team, particularly because of their accents = :lol:
dv
Mustapha Mond posted:
ukimalefu posted:

--

The reactions of the news team, particularly because of their accents = :lol:

The several seconds of gaping silence sold it.

"Stuff summer."
Luminol and Hydrogen Peroxyde

I wonder how hard it would be to get some luminol...
dv
ukimalefu posted:

Yup.

Dogs and cats will do something similar - if forced to walk through water, they'll shake off / lick off their front paws immediately and ignore their rear pair until later.
macnuke Afar
I don't think anyone "Forced" him to do a dam thing.
dv
macnuke posted:
I don't think anyone "Forced" him to do a dam thing.

Even the most powerful of us can be victims of circumstance. :goth:
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Dumbo is real!
macnuke Afar
Objects in mirror are inverted than they appear.
Nice one :up:
ukimalefu posted:

Even getting the trick, that is still a mesmerizing clip.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
that should be good for a hundred yards
user Stupid cockwomble
TOS
wow! so well preserved! those planes especially ...
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 77