amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 78
Online now: Google [Bot]
chikie The same deviled egg
You need to fix the carbon, not just temporarily bind it in organisms.
Create a limestone-like precipitate that would settle on the surface and lock in the carbon. Possibly through atmospherically borne organisms.
except limestone is dissolved by acid, and sulfuric acid is present in the venusian atmosphere.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
It does neutralize the acid in the process, though. I believe you get calcium sulfate, CO2 gas, and water. This would actually be a net improvement, though it might take a while to clear sufficient amounts from the atmosphere to be noticeable. Unfortunately, it would possibly increase the amount of free CO2 for a while.

Kind of a pipe dream anyway, though. You would have to work on a truly enormous scale to tilt the balance even a little, and even then, the landscape isn't exactly inviting.
TOS
chikie posted:
except limestone is dissolved by acid, and sulfuric acid is present in the venusian atmosphere.

also i'm trying to imagine the logistics of hauling a few billion tons of limestone across the solar system
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
It would probably involve more redirecting asteroids than bringing them from Earth.
user Stupid cockwomble
I considered making a joke about that.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
juice Inadvertently correct
Holy human waste. Pants now full.
juice posted:

Nah, you are sitting in a Faraday cage. Worst that happens is your car's electrical system gets toasted. Also, I've driven in storms like that and it wasn't that big a deal.
maurvir posted:
juice posted:

Nah, you are sitting in a Faraday cage. Worst that happens is your car's electrical system gets toasted. Also, I've driven in storms like that and it wasn't that big a deal.

The intellectual portion of one's brain would certainly get that. However, the lizard brain portion of you would already have filled your pants.
TOS
obvs posted:
It would probably involve more redirecting asteroids than bringing them from Earth.

limestone is mosty the remains of ancient coral, i don't imagine many asteroids would have it
TOS
well duh, in the war against morgoth most of beleriand was sunk beneath the waves and new shorelines were formed
TOS
nice trollin' there, chum
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
TOS posted:
obvs posted:

limestone is mosty the remains of ancient coral, i don't imagine many asteroids would have it
How many asteroids have you checked?
Recently discovered diary of overseer who worked on the ancient Egyptian pyramids reveals secret of how the stones got to Giza:

Just kidding: that diary detailed how the ancient Egyptians used boats and canals to float the stones close to their sites. They are finding through radar-imaging that there stone canals buried under the desert sands coming from the Nile at a point where it was a bit higher than the Giza plateau.
Yori Program
So it wasn't the Goa'uld?
Video tweet: "Fire in a bottle".

Be sure to check out reply by @godFreeWorld for another video AND watch that for its entire 30 seconds 'cause things will happen after the screen first goes black.
The Bad Astronomer explains the TRUE last pic from Rosetta:

Rosetta was in the process of transmitting this pic when it landed on the comet thus cutting off the data which probably would have given this one a better focus. It shows an area which is about a meter across.

Here is a pic showing the last pics during Rosetta's approach to landing with the one outlined in yellow being the PREVIOUSLY thought last pic:

TOS
so ... aliens?
TOS posted:
so ... aliens?

no, you can clearly see the finger of God touching a skull with a spinal column
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I see Bruce The Great White Shark bumbing shnozzes with an engorged siphonaptera. What gives?
dv
dv
So most golfers are pasty white guys.
chikie posted:

Not exactly breaking new ground with this study.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
chikie posted:

There are some orange ones too.
TOS
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Mmmmm....pastrami of the sea!
maurvir posted:
It does neutralize the acid in the process, though. I believe you get calcium sulfate, CO2 gas, and water. This would actually be a net improvement, though it might take a while to clear sufficient amounts from the atmosphere to be noticeable. Unfortunately, it would possibly increase the amount of free CO2 for a while.

Kind of a pipe dream anyway, though. You would have to work on a truly enormous scale to tilt the balance even a little, and even then, the landscape isn't exactly inviting.

I think the precipitate should absorb the atmospheric carbon and upon settling dissolve to release a water byproduct. The continued introduction of this imaginary precipitate would still lessen the atmospheric carbon dioxide. The sulfuric acid would dilute. Ideally the imaginary limestone-like precipitate would be created from the compounds already in the atmosphere, just needing some small catalyst to get it going.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 78