amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78
Online now: Google [Bot], Jonesy, mmaverick
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
So you're telling me there will be no white people in outer space?
TOS
my daughter found a mantis today

ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Faroe Islands
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle

Smallpox - guess which boy was vaccinated.
TOS
the vaccination project was one of the great human achievements, up there with the moon landing, though it's mostly forgotten now

you can read accounts of the medicos arriving in places where smallpox was endemic, and it was a nightmare ... corpses in the street, suffering, pockmarked babies, people explaining it had just always been that way

on a side note, it didn't get much of any coverage but africa was declared free of polio the other day
85 megapixel picture of the moon. It made my mac choke. At full size it looks unreal.

Quote:
It was done by using a telescope at 2000mm and capturing 24,000 individual photos. 4 panels with 6,000 photos each

https://old.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/ ... moon_last/

The real question here is why won't prisons let inmates have math textbooks?
Séamas Honorary Consul General
TOS posted:
the vaccination project was one of the great human achievements, up there with the moon landing, though it's mostly forgotten now

you can read accounts of the medicos arriving in places where smallpox was endemic, and it was a nightmare ... corpses in the street, suffering, pockmarked babies, people explaining it had just always been that way

on a side note, it didn't get much of any coverage but africa was declared free of polio the other day

My mother, when in school / training for her RN did a rotation in a diphtheria ward in NYC in the '50s. She said it was the most heartbreaking part of any hospital she ever experienced.
While nowhere near anything like smallpox, between that and growing up with kids who got polio, she was sincerely shocked and infuriated when she first heard of antivaxxers.

A plume of ice and gas erupts from Enceladus, moon of Saturn, observed by the Cassini probe on August 28, 2017.

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/jpl/ ... bservation
juice Inadvertently correct
I keep waiting for him to charge the camera.
TOS
Séamas posted:
TOS posted:

My mother, when in school / training for her RN did a rotation in a diphtheria ward in NYC in the '50s. She said it was the most heartbreaking part of any hospital she ever experienced.
While nowhere near anything like smallpox, between that and growing up with kids who got polio, she was sincerely shocked and infuriated when she first heard of antivaxxers.

diptheria, scourge of the concentration camps

Roots need to dig into the ground, and nature always follows the path of less resistance.
Dune, but with snow instead of sand.
jkahless Custom Title
Looks like a lightsaber.
TOS
it's small, but very conventional in design, which is disappointing
It's a first step...

;)
TOS posted:

It's a modular reactor system, which should dramatically reduce risk, and if they go into mass production, cost. In theory, every module in such a system would be identical, making maintenance simpler as well.

Also, keep in mind that as conventional as it is, it still took a lot of hand-wringing to get it approved. Sure, I would rather see one of the newer reactor styles being built, but these things have a shot at actually getting fielded in a realistic time frame.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
ukimalefu posted:

My sister has a deer that comes and has a chase / play with the dog. On several occasions. It's hilarious.
TOS
maurvir posted:
TOS posted:

It's a modular reactor system, which should dramatically reduce risk, and if they go into mass production, cost. In theory, every module in such a system would be identical, making maintenance simpler as well.

Also, keep in mind that as conventional as it is, it still took a lot of hand-wringing to get it approved. Sure, I would rather see one of the newer reactor styles being built, but these things have a shot at actually getting fielded in a realistic time frame.

except that by using an old design, they’re risking a public association with fukushima, chernobyl and three mile island

i seriously doubt this design will go anywhere

Quote:
Nothing to see here, just a massive crater in the middle of Siberia after methane probably made it collapse or explode.

"Methane", "probably".

Article says that happened in July but the images are being released just now... so... when will they leak the images of kaijus coming out.

Was giant inexplicable sinkholes in your 2020 bingo card?
https://gfycat.com/velvetyfreeleopardse ... -orangutan

Quote:
Sandra the orangutan caught cleaning her enclosure and washing her hands after observing the zookeepers doing the same thing

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
TOS posted:
maurvir posted:
TOS posted:

except that by using an old design, they’re risking a public association with fukushima, chernobyl and three mile island

You know, the Navy has known how to build things like this for decades.
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
TOS posted:
maurvir posted:
TOS posted:

You know, the Navy has known how to build things like this for decades.

so what? we're talking about perception here

i'm very sure that the only way the public will get on board with an expansion of nuclear power is if it's a) cleaner, b) cheaper and c) some new technology with no risk of meltdowns or accidents
Who cares if the public gets on board? Can we 'build shareholder value' with it?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Yeah, you have to win over the NIMBY folks, but I'm no ad-man, so don't ask me how.
Maybe give free electricity up to XXX watt/amps/volts to every house in so many miles? IDK ... [shrug]
TOS
“no toxic waste and it can never melt down” would be a great slogan
What does the fox say?

(no, it's not that music video)
jkahless Custom Title
ukimalefu posted:

:)

:2up:
TOS
the pentagon has awarded a contract to design a new supersonic executive tramsport, which may or may not be intended to replace air force one

that render was done in the 90s, by a teenager
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78