amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], wellfleation
juice Inadvertently correct
I’m hoping that was a remote camera or a telephoto lens.
ukimalefu last throes
juice posted:
I’m hoping that was a remote camera or a telephoto lens.

Quote:
This is the moment an angry one-and-a-half ton bison decided to assert its dominance by charging directly at a stunned photographer. Luckily for local photographer Marc Latremouille he was able to take the heart-stopping shot from the safety of his car before driving off. ‘The bison was sprinting to convey dominance over other bison,’ explains Marc. ‘Luckily for me, he didn’t try to assert his dominance towards my car.‘Picture: Marc Latremouille / Media Drum - Telegraph)

maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
1) That is an amazing shot.
2) This is a socially acceptable reason to soil your pants.
SpaceX fails attempt to darken Starlink satellite:

This was taken by the noted astrophotographer Thierry Legault. It was an attempt to make a comparison between a set of Starlink satellites AFTER they had achieved their final altitude of 550 km. ONE of these Starlink satellites was specifically made with a special anti-reflective coating which was supposed to make it dimmer than the rest, but as you can readily see that that satellite (with its name highlighted in orange) is markedly brighter than others without that special coating.

Story and pic from SpaceWeather.com although note that the author hasn't yet corrected the reported launch date for these Starlink satellites to Nov. 11, 2019 (he has it as in 2020).
ukimalefu last throes
ukimalefu last throes
The Bad Astronomer explains "THE EARTH HAS A NEW MINIMOON! BUT NOT FOR LONG…"

The green line is the past AND projected path of 2020 CD3. BTW: the white LINE is the orbit of the Moon but because its orbit around the Earth varies only by a small bit, the overlapping path creates this wide band. At this scale the Earth is less than one-pixel wide.

2020 CD3 is tiny compared to most known asteroids, perhaps only 3 meters in diameter. Because of its interactions with the Moon, it has this rather chaotic looking orbit around the Earth (the darker green parts are below the ecliptic) varying in distance to beyond a million miles from Earth until it is projected to get ejected from Earth orbit either later this month or in April.
ukimalefu last throes
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
They look at our kids the same way we look at theirs. "Aaw, how cute!"
ukimalefu last throes

*insert not funny any more global warming joke here*

Link
TOS
jesus, that's apocalyptic
Put this into full screen mode and turn up the volume!

A MAGNIFICENT recreation of what the Apollo 13 astronauts could have seen using data from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter.
TOS
ukimalefu last throes
When I saw this...

...I thought:

It is, or many of them, but I didn't realize it was a tree first

225-million-year-old petrified opal tree trunk located in Arizona.
juice Inadvertently correct
TOS posted:

This reminds me of Flash Gordon (1980) movie
ukimalefu posted:
When I saw this...

225-million-year-old petrified opal tree trunk located in Arizona.

Yeah, the Petrified Forest National Park is a fun visit. Just don't go mid Summer when its beastly hot.
https://www.nps.gov/pefo/index.htm
TOS
saturn's moon enceladus; image created by stitching together photos taken during the cassini mission

visible at the south pole are ice volcanoes that are believed to feed saturn's rings

ukimalefu last throes
It's a spaceship!
ukimalefu last throes
ukimalefu last throes
macnuke Afar
they gunna need a better fence they wanna keep out the neighbors
San Franciscan gets two videos of the sunset:

Fata Morgana of the Farallons.

The Farallons are at least 27 miles off the coast. The lighthouse is rather stumpy-looking:

The Sun changing shapes as it sets.
ukimalefu last throes
Curiosity's 1.8-Billion-Pixel Panorama

Quote:
To interact: Use the controls in the top left (or pinch) to zoom in and out of the image. Click (or touch) and drag your cursor to move around in the image.

The mouse scroll wheel also works for zooming in and out.
ukimalefu last throes

Quote:
We think of dinosaurs as big and birds as small. The connection between the two types of animals is displayed in a very small piece of amber with a 99-million-year-old skull inside. The skull is only 7 millimeters long and belongs to the newly-named species Oculudentavis khaungraae, a bird-like dinosaur discovered in Myanmar.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2068-4

https://gizmodo.com/the-weirdest-fossil ... 1842263885
ukimalefu last throes
The Chain Fountain AKA The Mould Effect

Short, 35 seconds video. It only shows, not explain, the effect.
"Understanding the chain fountain".

This was direct response to uki's video from the Royal Society although with only 7% of the views.
ukimalefu last throes
DEyncourt posted:
"Understanding the chain fountain".

This was direct response to uki's video from the Royal Society although with only 7% of the views.

:up:

Thx, I didn't scroll down.
ukimalefu last throes
Camellia japonica ‘Pink Perfection’

TOS
a killer whale just beneath the surface, photographed in norway

ukimalefu last throes
TOS
the moon io, with the clouds of jupiter in the background

"Moon Setting Behind Teide Volcano"

YouTube video and explanation at link (which is today's Astronomy Picture of the Day).
ukimalefu last throes

Quote:
What is black and gray and far away?

The asteroid Bennu is—and on Friday, NASA released an ultra-high resolution image of this planetary body for the first time. Go here to download full-size versions of the mosaic.

Scientists produced the mosaic by stitching together 2,155 images taken by the primary camera on board NASA's OSIRIS-REx spacecraft about one year ago. With a resolution of 5cm per pixel, NASA says this is the highest resolution mapping ever of a planetary body.

You have to use the link in the article if you want to see the full image, but it's 859 MB
ukimalefu last throes
ukimalefu last throes

From today's edition of SpaceWeather.com. The photographer comments:
Quote:
"This mess is from just one group of Starlink satellites," says Ceravolo. "Just imagine what it will be like when they launch 20,000+?"

Séamas Honorary Consul General
TOS posted:

Io is my daughter's middle name.
TOS
Séamas posted:
TOS posted:

Io is my daughter's middle name.

seriously? that's cool!
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Yes. She hates it.

I showed her this photo and she says I named her after an ugly moon.

Our son's middle name is Chance, in honor of the character in Being There. kinda awkward moment when he was watching it. "Oh, so you thought I would be intellectually disabled, huh?"
TOS
it's not an ugly moon, it's fiery, fierce and untamable!

that's awesome about chance ... my cousin was in that movie (she was the black housekeeper who leaves at the beginning) and she said that peter sellers was just amazing to work with, she came away convinced he was a genius
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70