amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65
Online now: Google [Bot]
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
DEyncourt posted:
New mineral discovered on Lake Superior shores.

Named yooperlite after Michigan's Upper Peninsula residents: UPers.

Cool

And I was also fascinated by the machine that makes the polished balls.
dv
DEyncourt posted:
New mineral discovered on Lake Superior shores.

Named yooperlite after Michigan's Upper Peninsula residents: UPers.

Cool. Goes great with Petosky stones.

That's Nasa's InSight Mars lander.

It's called InSight, and this is supposed to be an images thread, but what about sound?

Want to listen to Mars? go here:

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8517/nasas-i ... te=insight

YOU WILL NEED GOOD HEADPHONES

The lander recorded Mars quakes, and the recording was sped up to be audible by humans, but it's still low frequency, and may also need to turn the volume up.

But it's Mars! a robot recorded sounds of Mars, another planet, and send the recording through space, and you can listen to them using a little slab of glass and metal that fits in your pocket. Are we living in the future or what? The sound of Mars!

There's also sounds of Mars wind, and sounds of the lander's robotic arm moving. FROM MARS!

:D
ukimalefu posted:

"GODDAM GNATS! Shoo! Shoo!"
Video evidence that wild pigs use tools. YouTube video at the link.

To be sure: these are wild pigs at a zoo so maybe they were just boar-ed (GET IT? Um, sorry), but the parents are teaching their piglets how to use them.

PLANET OF THE PIGS! Coming to a theater near you!

Antares: astronomers capture best ever image of a star’s surface and atmosphere

Quote:
The new images, produced using the European Southern Observatory’s Very Large Telescope in Chile, are the most detailed yet of the surface and atmosphere of a star beyond our solar system.

maurvir posted:

The above was posted on March 28, 2018.

Unfortunately newer developments on the guinea worm has pushed back the date for its possible eradication from 2020 to 2030.

It was thought that only humans were used by guinea worms for transmission from one body of water like a pond or a lake to another, but there may be some animals like domestic dogs, small fish (eaten by humans) and baboons which can be infected and may be the reason why the guinea worm has re-emerged in previously controlled areas. And some of the afflicted areas in Africa are also war zones which complicates those questions.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle

Blue fairy wren
that's either not real or he's a pro bird model posing for the camera

I mean, wow
Some scientists painted some cows with zebra-like stripes to see if that had any advantages:

...and the answer is "yes, probably". Compared to similar but unpainted cows AND cows that were painted with ONLY black stripes in nearby fields (see? Thorough scientists trying to check as many relevant angles as possible), the zebra-painted ones got fewer bites (60) from biting flies than the cows in both other groups (110 bites).

The hypothesis is that zebras evolved their coloration pattern because flies in general have difficulty landing on anything with closely striped patterns because that pattern messes up their ability to decelerate properly.
juice Inadvertently correct
The best kind of science
"Oregon Zoo X-rays":

At the link there are a few more such images with different animals, plus a link to that zoo's Twitter account which has even more images with explanations of the animals being X-rayed.
juice posted:
The best kind of science

I must admit that painting some cows with only black stripes was "obvious" to me only after I read that story.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
I just found out that Skeleton Panda Sea Squirts exist. :D

Pariah posted:
I just found out that Skeleton Panda Sea Squirts exist. :D

your image is broken, I googled it

I can't believe that's a real thing
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Sure was a pretty moon last night

Are you ready for space meat?

Quote:
Creating meat from cells is no longer the realm of science fiction: a Russian cosmonaut did it aboard the International Space Station, and it is just a matter of time before these products arrive in supermarkets.

Tests carried out in space in September led to the production of beef, rabbit and fish tissue using a 3D printer.

Sean Carroll explains the concept of dimensions at 5 different levels.

When Carroll talks with "level: expert" Clifford Johnson--a fellow physicist and someone you may recognize from his appearances on several science programs like Discovery Channel's How the Universe Works--I got completely lost too. And I was a bit uncertain with some parts of his Carroll's discussion with "level: grad student" Bela Abolfathi, a PhD candidate studying observational cosmology.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65