amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66
Online now: Google [Bot]
TOS
juice posted:
The title is accurate if incomplete. Radiation would very likely kill you before you went crazy.

a new study suggests that radiation on mars will cause brain damage to astronauts

all this talk of going to mars, especially by elon musk, is pretty damn reckless until they solve the radiation problem
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Wouldn't they have to create an artificial magnetosphere?
ukimalefu dysfunctional
TOS posted:
juice posted:
The title is accurate if incomplete. Radiation would very likely kill you before you went crazy.

a new study suggests that radiation on mars will cause brain damage to astronauts

all this talk of going to mars, especially by elon musk, is pretty damn reckless until they solve the radiation problem

they're not going tomorrow

I want to believe I'll see people on Mars in my lifetime. Touch and go.

A permanent settlement? I don't think so.
dv
Metacell posted:

Either that or everything they travel in would have to be shielded to fiddlesticks and back.
dv posted:
Metacell posted:

Either that or everything they travel in would have to be shielded to fiddlesticks and back.

I'm expecting the interplanetary craft will be built in orbit from material lifted from the Moon. The shielding will weigh too much to be practical to bring up from Earth.
Who knows, maybe a magnetosphere is very easy to make. Has anybody tried?
ukimalefu dysfunctional
TOS
Metacell posted:

easy peasy! https://medium.com/our-space/an-artific ... 3803ea600c
TOS posted:
Metacell posted:

While that seems pretty doable given an infinite budget, I was actually thinking about magnetospheres sized for an individual person.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Metacell posted:
TOS posted:
Metacell posted:

While that seems pretty doable given an infinite budget, I was actually thinking about magnetospheres sized for an individual person.

dv
Metacell posted:
TOS posted:
Metacell posted:

I'm pretty sure that the size of the magnetosphere is part of why it's effective.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Pardon my ignorance...Does this increased solar radiation represent power that could be gathered? Modified solar panels type of thing?
Sure, the power has to come from somewhere. Though realize the number of solar panels required would likely exceed the size of the planet.
TOS
Pariah posted:
Pardon my ignorance...Does this increased solar radiation represent power that could be gathered? Modified solar panels type of thing?

not really

the thing about the martian radiation isn't so much that it's intense, so much as it's just nonstop and builds up
Kirk posted:
Sure, the power has to come from somewhere. Though realize the number of solar panels required would likely exceed the size of the planet.

Um, the proposal actually says that it would require solar panels that are 27^2 meters or 729 sq. meters (for comparison: the International Space Station has over three times that amount for solar power, and, yes, the author did adjust his figure to compensate for the half-power that a given-size solar cell would receive while at the Martian distance from the Sun). But these will provide power only for the satellite itself such as for its onboard computer.

The heavy lifting (in ALL senses) of creating and maintaining the magnetosphere to protect Mars will be powered by a nuclear fission reactor. The author readily admits to a whole host of problems for that aspect alone (such as having to replace the fissionable materials entirely every 20 or so years).
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
What will actually happen is we will find either natural caves or dig our own. They are vastly cheaper and don't "wear out".
TOS
i honestly think advanced robotic sample return missions are a much better option
I think we should just explore outer space with robot VR bodies.
TOS
will our robot vr bodies be capable of having sex with each other? like, could they do it doggy style deep beneath the seas of europa?
Yori Program
One of our current resident spiders. :spidey:

ukimalefu dysfunctional
TOS posted:
will our robot vr bodies be capable of having sex with each other? like, could they do it doggy style deep beneath the seas of europa?

Isn't that the whole point?
dv
TOS posted:

Submit a feature request. I suspect it will get a lot of upvotes on that agile board.
Yori Program
One of the resident cellar spiders is a Mummy. :)

ukimalefu dysfunctional
We get it, you don't want any visits.
Yori Program
It's OK, those ones all live in the vacuum cleaner now. Cellar spiders hunt other spiders and we'd rather have the other ones keeping the fly population down.
These were in my garden.

When disturbed they all move as one unit, like a flock of birds, but tiny and enclosed in a 3 dimensional web.
TOS
someone medicate sean
sean Royal Wombat
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional

Quote:
While it’s not unusual to see a few deer relaxing together in Nara Park, it is unusual to see them gathering in one spot in large numbers. What’s most baffling about the occurrence is the fact that they come together to sit at the same spot at the same time each day, and for the same amount of time as well.

The deer gathering begins at around 6:30 p.m. and reaches its peak just before 7:00 p.m. The deer sit quietly together, and then, after 7:00 p.m., they stand up and go back to different areas of the park.

Quote:
This behavioural pattern occurs day after day in summer, lasting for about an hour every evening. When Masami visited, she did a head count of the deer and counted a whopping 623 animals at the gathering spot.

https://soranews24.com/2019/08/20/shika ... very-year/
juice Inadvertently correct
They’re planning something!
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
juice Inadvertently correct
begun, the clone wars have
ukimalefu dysfunctional
TOS
meanwhile ...

ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional
TOS