amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65
Online now: Google [Bot]
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
A 20-minute description of Apollo 11's landing on the Moon. The setup takes the first 3 minutes while the remainder features just the descent video from Eagle overlaid with audio from Apollo 11 and at Mission Control at that moment along with some commentary explaining some of the jargon.

Or, if you would rather, Astronomy Picture of the Day has posted this page which starts at the 14:10 point of the above.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
This is really starting to remind me of the former USSR republics trying to relive the glory days when they were still important. :(
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
If you didn't back-track the link to the story, that is a life-size image of the Saturn IV projected on the Washington Monument.

LIFE SIZE.

I didn't realize the monument was so much bigger than the spacecraft.
Perspective, huh ...
DukeofNuke posted:

I hope someone makes an animation of the whole obelisk taking of.
juice Inadvertently correct
The Founding Fathers have had enough of this human waste.
TOS
maurvir posted:
This is really starting to remind me of the former USSR republics trying to relive the glory days when they were still important. :(

that's a devastating indictment

:cry:
I’ve seen that haircut in my son’s school.
TOS
A follow-up to the recent California quakes: "Measuring Movement from the Ridgecrest Quake":

Generally speaking, the bluish areas have moved towards the northwest AND up (meaning in height), while the yellow to red areas have moved towards the southeast AND down, with the most extreme total movements being 0.8 meters (2.6 feet) in both directions for the peak blue zones, and 0.6 meters (2 feet) in both direction for the peak red zones. I believe that the map above is reporting just the lateral movements.

It should be noted that the epicenters for these quakes were about 140 km / 90 miles to the NW of the nearest point on the San Andreas Fault which is generally considered to be the border between the North American Plate and the Pacific Plate.

Oh, from that other string:
ukimalefu posted:
people of California, please don't fall into the sea, thank you very much

THAT notion is based on a complete misunderstanding on how the fault system works. Having grown up in Southern California, the idea of "California falling into the sea" was active for at least as since when I was a young child and most likely for long before that, probably due to some measure of schadenfreude from East Coast Americans jealous of California's overall weather ("Well, at least I don't have to worry about falling into the sea").

But the nature of the San Andreas Fault is that it is a strike-slip fault where the GENERAL movement between the tectonic plates is more-or-less just side-to-side relative to each other as opposed to a subduction zone such as the Atacama Trench off the west coast of South America. Of course that San Andreas Fault movement has also been spotty due to its regional turns so that there have been large zones along it which have not moved significantly in decades to centuries.

So even under the most extreme cases for CA earthquakes there is no place for California to "fall into" unless you want to include those weirdly bizarre beliefs that some people have of there being miles of subterreanean and mostly underwater passageways that lace the California coastline extending for hundreds of miles inland (and, oddly, mostly underneath the cities of Southern California).
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
The Hungry Children of Cthulhu lie waiting under San Luis Obispo.
Is that how we get zombies?
macnuke Afar
juice posted:
Is that how we get zombies?

only with cram packed city folk.

apollo space pooping

Apollo 10 transcript:
Quote:
Cernan: “Where did that come from?”

Stafford: “Get me a napkin quick. There’s a turd floating through the air.”

Young: “I didn’t do it. It ain’t one of mine.”

Cernan: “I don’t think it’s one of mine.”

Stafford: “Mine was a little more sticky than that. Throw that away.”

Young: “God Almighty” (laughter)

https://i.redd.it/u9hp2dwh6cd31.png

source says "cat's paws without any fur"

I call it, aquacat.
and here's another freak of nature

Either gravity is stronger under that tree, or something is messing with the structural integrity of the avocados. Or both.

Quote:
A newly released video from the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) shows the critical moment when the Hayabusa2 spacecraft made contact with the surface of the Ryugu asteroid for an unprecedented second time.

https://gizmodo.com/dramatic-video-show ... 1836849254

Full video at the link. It's just a little longer than the gif, pulling back a bit further away and can be seen at higher resolution of course.

The video is shown at 10-times normal speed to improve watchability, as Hayabusa2's touchdown was conducted at slow speeds.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Metacell posted:

I would think Oxnard would be the more likely location.
DEyncourt posted:
A follow-up to the recent California quakes: "Measuring Movement from the Ridgecrest Quake":

Generally speaking, the bluish areas have moved towards the northwest AND up (meaning in height), while the yellow to red areas have moved towards the southeast AND down, with the most extreme total movements being 0.8 meters (2.6 feet) in both directions for the peak blue zones, and 0.6 meters (2 feet) in both direction for the peak red zones. I believe that the map above is reporting just the lateral movements.

It should be noted that the epicenters for these quakes were about 140 km / 90 miles to the NW of the nearest point on the San Andreas Fault which is generally considered to be the border between the North American Plate and the Pacific Plate.

Oh, from that other string:
ukimalefu posted:
people of California, please don't fall into the sea, thank you very much

THAT notion is based on a complete misunderstanding on how the fault system works. Having grown up in Southern California, the idea of "California falling into the sea" was active for at least as since when I was a young child and most likely for long before that, probably due to some measure of schadenfreude from East Coast Americans jealous of California's overall weather ("Well, at least I don't have to worry about falling into the sea").

But the nature of the San Andreas Fault is that it is a strike-slip fault where the GENERAL movement between the tectonic plates is more-or-less just side-to-side relative to each other as opposed to a subduction zone such as the Atacama Trench off the west coast of South America. Of course that San Andreas Fault movement has also been spotty due to its regional turns so that there have been large zones along it which have not moved significantly in decades to centuries.

So even under the most extreme cases for CA earthquakes there is no place for California to "fall into" unless you want to include those weirdly bizarre beliefs that some people have of there being miles of subterreanean and mostly underwater passageways that lace the California coastline extending for hundreds of miles inland (and, oddly, mostly underneath the cities of Southern California).

This slip supports the Sierra Rift Zone theory quite well.
https://www.wired.com/story/walker-lane ... eas-fault/
Kirk posted:
[snip]

Heh. I was going to suggest this line of reasoning but I thought it would be too involved for an already longish post. I didn't know that it ALREADY has some names.

I am not a geologist or seismologist of any sort except in the broadest amateur sense. As it happens I HAVE driven on much of US 395 north from Ridgecrest (on my map above) to Alturas (about 20 miles south of the California-Oregon border), so in part replicating the author's trip at least up to Reno.
DEyncourt posted:
Kirk posted:
[snip]

Heh. I was going to suggest this line of reasoning but I thought it would be too involved for an already longish post. I didn't know that it ALREADY has some names.

I am not a geologist or seismologist of any sort except in the broadest amateur sense. As it happens I HAVE driven on much of US 395 north from Ridgecrest (on my map above) to Alturas (about 20 miles south of the California-Oregon border), so in part replicating the author's trip at least up to Reno.

I've done 395 over its entire distance. Yeah, its an amazing road.
Please note that this series of quakes also caused aseismic slip down near the Salton Sea So whether there's a known fault or not, this is becoming a compelling argument.
TOS
Pariah posted:
Metacell posted:

I would think Oxnard would be the more likely location.

bakersfield, silly

that picture alone makes want to go there and cross that bridge

and after googling it, I found out that

Quote:
HBO filmed scenes for season 7 of its fantasy series Game of Thrones at the islet.[2] Gaztelugatxe stood in for Dragonstone, with a digitally created castle on top of the islet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaztelugatxe
Pariah Know Your Enemy
An 81 megapixel shot of the sun.

Most Americans Do Trust Scientists, Heartening Survey Finds

Faith in humanity restored... partially... momentarily...

BUT, a fair amount vs a great deal? what happened to yes or no? I know real life isn't black or white, but it's definitely not "yes and more yes".

I distrust surveys a great deal. :goth:
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
ukimalefu posted:
Most Americans Do Trust Scientists, Heartening Survey Finds

Faith in humanity restored... partially... momentarily...

BUT, a fair amount vs a great deal? what happened to yes or no? I know real life isn't black or white, but it's definitely not "yes and more yes".

I distrust surveys a great deal. :goth:

America's bolstered faith in science can be attributed to one man:

Dr. Sheldon Cooper !
A third trust scientists? And that's up? urgh
Pariah Know Your Enemy
We have some really nice spiders at my house. People 'round here call them writing spiders because of the distinctive zig zag pattern they spin into their web. It took me a bunch of shots to get a couple of good, in focus pics. Nature photography ain't that easy with an old iPhone.

Pariah Know Your Enemy
Kirk posted:

As of this afternoon we have about 7 really big ones on the front of the house adjacent to the porch lights. And they are all big, fat and happy looking well fed spiders. The light attract lots of yummy bugs to their webs.

Quote:
Hydra are tiny freshwater invertebrates that can regenerate any tissue type in their bodies, including their central nervous system

Quote:
These things don't seem to age at all, with their lifespan basically indefinite until killed by predators or environmental factors.

Quote:
Even more amazing, they can perfectly regenerate their entire bodies. Cut a hydra in half and pretty soon you have two hydra, as the critters can regrow all tissue types and even a new central nervous system.

https://newatlas.com/hydra-stem-cell-ma ... ion/60896/

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65