amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], maurvir, mmaverick
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Artificial gravity?

You want vomit in your space station? because that's how you fill your space station with vomit.

I've been space-baited.
Using a centrifuge for simulated gravity isn't news. Meh, that click bait got me earlier too.
Pretty much all it covered is that you can maybe train yourself to not hurl in centrifuge gravity.
TOS

Valais Blacknose Sheep
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle

I know the Jesus Lizard is a real thing, but it looks unreal, doesn't it? know what I mean?

Anyway, it reminded me of this:

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL

Quote:
Annual average temperatures for GLOBE from 1850-2018 using data from UK Met Office.

Quote:
Annual average temperatures for California from 1895-2018 using data from NOAA.

Quote:
Annual average temperatures for Canada from 1901-2018 using data from Berkeley Earth.

Quote:
Annual average temperatures for All of United Kingdom from 1884-2018 using data from UK Met Office.

Quote:
Annual average temperatures for Taiwan from 1901-2018 using data from Berkeley Earth.

Quote:
Annual average temperatures for Venezuela from 1901-2018 using data from Berkeley Earth.

Quote:
These ‘warming stripe’ graphics are visual representations of the change in temperature as measured in each country over the past 100+ years. Each stripe represents the temperature in that country averaged over a year. For most countries, the stripes start in the year 1901 and finish in 2018. For the UK, USA, Switzerland & Germany, the data starts in the late 19th century.

https://showyourstripes.info/
jkahless Custom Title
“For each country, the average temperature in 1971-2000 is set as the boundary between blue and red colours, and the colour scale varies from +/- 2.6 standard deviations of the annual average temperatures between 1901-2000.”

So while they do show the trend that it’s hotter before 1971 than after, the colour scale is changed country by country to make the change look as dramatic as possible for everyone, instead of having any logical consistency.

Sorry to rip on your pic, visually it’s a very cool depiction of that the world is warming. Sucks.

Life can't be all about stealing picnic baskets, eating honey, and wasting in the woods.
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

Quote:
Annual average temperatures for GLOBE from 1850-2018 using data from UK Met Office.

Quote:
Annual average temperatures for California from 1895-2018 using data from NOAA.

Quote:
Annual average temperatures for Canada from 1901-2018 using data from Berkeley Earth.

Quote:
Annual average temperatures for All of United Kingdom from 1884-2018 using data from UK Met Office.

Quote:
Annual average temperatures for Taiwan from 1901-2018 using data from Berkeley Earth.

Quote:
Annual average temperatures for Venezuela from 1901-2018 using data from Berkeley Earth.

Quote:
These ‘warming stripe’ graphics are visual representations of the change in temperature as measured in each country over the past 100+ years. Each stripe represents the temperature in that country averaged over a year. For most countries, the stripes start in the year 1901 and finish in 2018. For the UK, USA, Switzerland & Germany, the data starts in the late 19th century.

https://showyourstripes.info/

those charts are ridiculous
Yeah, they are way too tall (shorter strips would work just as well), and they don't compare apples to apples. From the perspective of showing trends, they are fine, but they are misleading.
juice Inadvertently correct
There's enough of an emergency without intentionally jiggering the chart. Doing so is disingenuous.
I'd say that they designed something pretty on purpose to make the most people interested and "get it". It's not like they're claiming to be 100% scientifically and statistically accurate, just showing the trends...... every little thing helps, Why do you hate the planet!?

But I could be wrong so I won't said that.
ukimalefu posted:
I'd say that they designed something pretty on purpose to make the most people interested and "get it". It's not like they're claiming to be 100% scientifically and statistically accurate, just showing the trends...... every little thing helps, Why do you hate the planet!?

If you offer contrarians or deniers an excuse to criticize your work legitimately, you have effectively neutered your own message.
maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:

If you offer contrarians or deniers an excuse to criticize your work legitimately, you have effectively neutered your own message.

ok, you're not wrong, but they don't need excuses

Mardalsfossen, Møre og Romsdal County, Norway
His story is a cautionary tale.
TOS
this appeared in my twitter feed ... suffice to say his ratio was apocalyptic

someone didn't take five seconds to check wikipedia...
dv
Being a tech CEO is more about luck than brains.

I just wish the average tech CEO is smart enough to realize that.

Dammit, wrong Jack on Twitter.
Meh. I take that tweet as merely being DELIBERATELY provocative because in some circles being retweeted is more important than being right.
obvs precoupado
TOS posted:
this appeared in my twitter feed ... suffice to say his ratio was apocalyptic

:lol:

Oh my God.

Oh my God.

https://twitter.com/JackFIetch/status/1 ... 6743727105
DEyncourt posted:
Meh. I take that tweet as merely being DELIBERATELY provocative because in some circles being retweeted is more important than being right.

No, social justice warriors are usually just that stupid.

And by the way SPOILER ALERT, the new Bond is NOT a black woman, but she does get to be 007, there's a difference. Not really a spoiler since it's all over the news/internet, but It would have been better to be surprised when watching the movie.

Back to topic, social justice warriors never know what the fiddlesticks they're complaining about, and I doubt they really care about the cause they pretend to defend. NO, they make it about them, "look at me!" "I'm defending these oppressed people!"

But how does he not know about Alan Turing? didn't everybody watch the movie with Benedict Cumberbatch? doesn't everyone who uses computers know about Alan Turing? no? just us geeks? ok
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
ukimalefu posted:

FABULOUS !

:D :lol:
TOS
hey check it out ... they're livestreaming the original apollo 11 mission news coverage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYnF31el-ik
DukeofNuke posted:
ukimalefu posted:

FABULOUS !

:D :lol:

Beddie, is that you?
TOS
TOS posted:
hey check it out ... they're livestreaming the original apollo 11 mission news coverage

oh wow, it even includes the original commercials! i just watched ali mcgraw promoting a paper bikini (?!?!?!)
TOS posted:
TOS posted:

oh wow, it even includes the original commercials! i just watched ali mcgraw promoting a paper bikini (?!?!?!)

thanks for the... research info... hey, this is a science thread

***edit***

research inconclusive, paper not found
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:
TOS posted:

thanks for the... research info... hey, this is a science thread

***edit***

research inconclusive, paper not found

correction: it's a science image thread

unfortunately i haven't found that paper ad, it's a trip
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61