Page: 1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 66
Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], Lombo
ukimalefu dysfunctional
killer monkeys

https://gizmodo.com/indias-monkeys-keep ... 1835014036

:eek:

no gore images, but the story is shocking anyway
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
At some point they are going to have to euthanize these monkeys. Once they start behaving like this, it is time.
user Stupid cockwomble

O NOE YOU DIDNT JUST SAY THAT
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional
juice Inadvertently correct
The coloration reminds me of a Lionfish.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Enhance!

Neil Armstrong...enhanced from Buzz Aldrin's helmet...enhanced from Neil Armstrong's helmet...enhanced from Buzz Aldrin's helmet
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional

Basalt Canyon, Iceland
user Stupid cockwomble
They had to just about close it down after Bieber made a video there.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Time-lapse Earth Flyover from NASA Astronaut in Space

This time-lapse video taken by NASA astronaut Nick Hague squeezes a 30-minute International Space Station trip over a cloudy Earth into 60 seconds, covering the Pacific to the Atlantic.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Séamas Honorary Consul General
ukimalefu posted:
Time-lapse Earth Flyover from NASA Astronaut in Space

This time-lapse video taken by NASA astronaut Nick Hague squeezes a 30-minute International Space Station trip over a cloudy Earth into 60 seconds, covering the Pacific to the Atlantic.

Fake "Earth is a Globe" propaganda made in Hollywood, no doubt.
ukimalefu dysfunctional

An abundance of boulders litters the surface asteroid 101955 Bennu in this dramatic close-up from the OSIRIS-REx spacecraft.

The source had no links. But, wow, you think of an asteroid as a rock, a single big rock, but that's a clump of little rocks. And... I have so many questions, how did it form?, how does it stick together? I think I know the answer to those questions, but seeing that image, so clear... wow.
How it formed is a mystery. How it holds together is easy - gravity. We are used to a system dominated by a single large mass (the Earth), but gravity is a property of all matter.
user Stupid cockwomble
looks like a low-budget scifi set
dv
maurvir posted:
How it formed is a mystery.

Not really all that difficult to imagine. Take a few glass bottles, smash them into a bazillion pieces, and release the cloud of shards into zero-g. A few eons later, you'll have a clump of vacuum-welded glass chunks.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
dv posted:
maurvir posted:
How it formed is a mystery.

Not really all that difficult to imagine. Take a few glass bottles, smash them into a bazillion pieces, and release the cloud of shards into zero-g. A few eons later, you'll have a clump of vacuum-welded glass chunks.

oh, future space archeologists will study trashteroids, for sure.
macnuke Afar
magnets

the more you know.
jkahless Custom Title
maurvir posted:
How it formed is a mystery. How it holds together is easy - gravity. We are used to a system dominated by a single large mass (the Earth), but gravity is a property of all matter.

There’s also the van der waals force for small asteroids.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
jkahless posted:
maurvir posted:

There’s also the van der waals force for small asteroids.

I didn't know that one. You know things. Nerd.

There's also no air drag to make things fall off. But there's also gravity from planets and the sun that could tug things away. Or an asteroid could run into other asteroids floating around in space. And there's solar winds. And this group of pebbles just sticks together. Maybe they're just a tight group of friends. Get it? tight! HA!
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

An abundance of boulders litters the surface asteroid 101955 Bennu in this dramatic close-up from the OSIRIS-REx spacecraft.

The source had no links. But, wow, you think of an asteroid as a rock, a single big rock, but that's a clump of little rocks. And... I have so many questions, how did it form?, how does it stick together? I think I know the answer to those questions, but seeing that image, so clear... wow.

here's my question: before they formed together into clumps like asteroids moons and planets, how did the little rocks form?
ukimalefu dysfunctional
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:

here's my question: before they formed together into clumps like asteroids moons and planets, how did the little rocks form?

God needs to drink more water.
user Stupid cockwomble
The little gray men need hard time too.
Have you ever seen dust bunnies under your bed?
macnuke Afar
juice posted:
Have you ever seen dust bunnies under your bed?

nope..... it's not safe to look under the bed... that's what parents are for.
Mom's 87 and Dad passed 10 years ago....so nope never not happening.
That's what Roomba is for, to get those dust bunnies under the bed
I had a hard time with the forces behind planetoid formation until I considered dust bunnies.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
jkahless Custom Title
TOS posted:
ukimalefu posted:

You make little rocks by smashing big rocks together, which you make by sticking little rocks together, which you make by smashing big rocks together, which you make by sticking little rocks together, which you make by smashing big rocks together, which you make by sticking little rocks together, which you make by smashing big rocks together, which you make by sticking little rocks together, which you make by... :eek:
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
The explanation I always got was that the asteroid belt is in the next logical position for a planet in our solar system, and that the planets formed from the same cloud of space dust that formed our sun...just like the rings of Saturn and Uranus. The two competing theories are that there was a planet there once which was demolished early on by collisions, or that the matter in this band never gained enough mass to form a planet. In either case, there would be bodies ranging from the size of dust-motes to planetoids.
ukimalefu dysfunctional

In the future, you'll have the same tedious, unbearable office job, but on the Moon. That's something.
With a much smaller cubicle.
macnuke Afar
no one can hear you scream
sean Royal Wombat
juice posted:
With a much smaller cubicle.

I'm not entirely sure that's possible for me.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 66