nice resolution! you can almost see the ufo bases

Any monoliths?
TOS
juice posted:
TOS posted:
nice resolution! you can almost see the ufo bases

Any monoliths?

no, but apparently there are glass towers a mile high
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?

Quote:
Ireson Hill is located on the Bagnold Dune field on the slope of Mounr Sharp in Gale crater on Mars. It’s about 5 meters high & 15 meters across. Credit:NASA, MSSS, JPL-Caltech.

TOS
ukimalefu posted:

those juno images are just incredible, i can't get enough of them
user Stupid cockwomble
Scientists discover mixed cache of fossils from 66 million years ago created when they all died and were entombed on the day the "dino-killer" meteor hit the Earth:

The collection was found in North Dakota and contains such a mix of "fish, mammals, insects and a dinosaur" that were found together which otherwise defies explanation (I'm certain that creationists will attempt to use that as "proof" of Noah's Flood while just ignoring the other problems their explanation creates). There was also evidence of (then) hot glass found in the gill areas of the fish which indicates that they were alive when they attempted to breathe the water as debris from the aftermath of the meteor impact rained down from above.

(heavy breathing)
TOS
leeches make excellent pets

TOS
scorpions too!

Topic title says 'science/nature'

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
ukimalefu posted:
Topic title says 'science/nature'

Nice! Here's Pic Du Midi Observatory. I call it "Sirius Rising", though I have no idea what the photographer calls it, if anything ...

TOS
turn off those damn lights!
TOS
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
It really is a shame Biosphere 2 wasn't designed by actual engineers and scientists. It really could have been an amazing experiment had it been done right. I kind of wish they would build another one, this time for real.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Where is the bald guy? He helped make the jumpsuit team look more sci fi.
TOS posted:

yeah, no. Sorry doggie you're on your own. I'm running as fast as I can to hide behind the thickest nearest tree I can find, than changing my pants afterwards.
Life on Mars news 2019

Methane confirmed on Mars. Could be anything, but the vast majority of methane on Earth comes from living things...

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2019/04/a ... ne-on-mars

Quote:
Could biological processes be at work? On Earth, the vast majority of methane is produced by living creatures, from microbes to humans. An underground Martian ecosystem that puffs out pockets of methane is extremely alluring. But geologic processes can also produce methane just from the combination of sunlight and heat on certain kinds of rocks. That may still be interesting for geologists, but it’s much less exciting than discovering alien life.

The new research, published April 1 in Nature Geoscience, doesn’t speculate on what might cause the methane. But they do put a target on the map of where the methane might have originated. Because the methane appeared and disappeared so quickly, it can’t have been too big of a cloud. Therefore it must have originated near where Curiosity sniffed the gas out. The researchers looked at a map of Curiosity’s surroundings, and picked out areas similar to common methane sources on Earth: a fault, spring, or vent that might provide access to Mars’ underworld. They identify an area called Aeolis Mensae and its surroundings as the most likely source of the methane.

While Mars’ methane mystery may not be solved yet, researchers now have a map and proof that at least their hunt isn’t simply a wild goose chase.

*edit*

oh, it's an images thread.... here

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
a fault, spring, or vent that might provide access to Mars’ underworld.

Pellucidar is on Barsoom!

The Popocatépetl volcano spews ash into the sky, as seen from Puebla, Mexico, on March 28, 2019.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Just one more reason to Close The Border!
user Stupid cockwomble
Séamas posted:
Where is the bald guy? He helped make the jumpsuit team look more sci fi.

You mean Pauly Shore?

Quote:
Major depression, obesity and chronic pain are all linked to the effects of one protein, called "FK506-binding protein 51," or FKBP51. Until now, efforts to inhibit this target have been hampered by the difficulty of finding something specific enough to do the job and not affect similar proteins. Now a research group has developed a highly selective compound that can effectively block FKBP51 in mice, relieving chronic pain and having positive effects on diet-induced obesity and mood. The new compound also could have applications in alcoholism and brain cancer.

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
and we're one step closer to the universal "Happy Pill" ...
macnuke Afar
always wondered how the mice said they weren't having pain anymore.
macnuke posted:

Ever had pets? they don't tell you when something hurts, but you may notice a change in their behaviour.

If an animal is eating as it normally does, and doing the usual activities, it should be fine, and not in pain.
dv
ukimalefu posted:
macnuke posted:

Ever had pets? they don't tell you when something hurts, but you may notice a change in their behaviour.

If an animal is eating as it normally does, and doing the usual activities, it should be fine, and not in pain.

In the case of lab mice, I think they more objective criteria like heart rate, breathing rate, blood levels of certain hormones/cortisol/etc., and so on.
dv posted:
ukimalefu posted:
macnuke posted:

In the case of lab mice, I think they more objective criteria like heart rate, breathing rate, blood levels of certain hormones/cortisol/etc., and so on.

Or...

NARF! :p
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 61