amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 62
Online now: Google [Bot]
TOS
Betonhaus posted:
Metacell posted:
No, it's "What doyoug et when you multiply 6 x 9?"

Which is stupid

but then again this universe has a message in the stars that apologizes for the inconvenience so oh well.

have you read the douglas adams canon? didn't think so
TOS posted:
Betonhaus posted:
Metacell posted:
No, it's "What doyoug et when you multiply 6 x 9?"

Which is stupid

but then again this universe has a message in the stars that apologizes for the inconvenience so oh well.

have you read the douglas adams canon? didn't think so

I've read the trilogy in five parts. Doesn't mean I can't call a stupid joke stupid.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?

The black ones are on Earth. The blue ones are on Mars.

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2019/01/m ... rries.html
TOS
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
The volcano Popocatepetl erupted
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-new ... m-13896426
There's a spectacular video at the link
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Séamas Honorary Consul General
ukimalefu posted:
MacAddict4Life posted:
I don't get the hate for Fahrenheit (besides trying to spell it). Metric is definitely more logical for distance units. But for temperature, the freezing point and boiling point of water are just as arbitrary as any other metric, and are not really a useful reference day-to-day. On top of that, there have been plenty of times where I've found 1°C to be too big of a step when adjusting an air conditioner, but lots of air conditioners here only do complete degrees, not half degrees.

0º C : water freezes
100º C : water boils

Who cares?
Nobody uses a thermometer in their kitchen to see when they water might boil.
Fahrenheit is no less useful in day to day life than celcius, the typical person checks temperature to see what the weather is going to feel like.
A scale that has 0-100 right where a human might typically see their weather throughout the year is convenient and perfectly relatable.
A better scale range than -17 to +38
There is nothing metric about celcius.
Yori Program
Of course, you could always be awkward bastards like we are this side of the pond. We tend to use Celsius when it's cold weather and (unofficially) Fahrenheit when it's hot. :D
TOS
Yori posted:
Of course, you could always be awkward bastards like we are this side of the pond. We tend to use Celsius when it's cold weather and (unofficially) Fahrenheit when it's hot. :D

that's funny, here we tend to use feet and inches for smaller lengths, and metres and kilometres for longer distances
Séamas posted:
ukimalefu posted:
MacAddict4Life posted:
I don't get the hate for Fahrenheit (besides trying to spell it). Metric is definitely more logical for distance units. But for temperature, the freezing point and boiling point of water are just as arbitrary as any other metric, and are not really a useful reference day-to-day. On top of that, there have been plenty of times where I've found 1°C to be too big of a step when adjusting an air conditioner, but lots of air conditioners here only do complete degrees, not half degrees.

Who cares?
Fahrenheit is no less useful in day to day life than celcius, the typical person checks temperature to see what the weather is going to feel like.
A scale that has 0-100 right where a human might typically see their weather throughout the year is convenient and perfectly relatable.

Heh, temperature here has ranged form - 30 to +30 with - 20 to +20 being a common range. In that case Celsius makes sense because everything below zero means maybe ice and everything above zero means maybe rain.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Meh, what ever is in general colloquial use is irrelevant. For the most part industry has long changed to metric units.
That's all that matters.
It's not that a unit is metric that makes it highly functional, but that it's an SI unit which makes it rational.
Ribtor posted:
It's not that a unit is metric that makes it highly functional, but that it's an SI unit which makes it rational.

technically that's kelvin
TOS
maurvir posted:

Séamas posted:
ukimalefu posted:
MacAddict4Life posted:

Who cares?

Exactly my point. Water freezing and boiling are arbitrary and actually variable metrics, that are just as random as anything else you peg the scale to. And the calorie would work just as well regardless of the degree unit involved.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
All metrics units are arbitrary; the meter is an arbitrary length. But they are all designed to work together with base 10 convenience.
user Stupid cockwomble
The meter is at least an attempt to base it on something rational and reproducible. Better than the length of some dead king's foot.
metre.

But yes.
obvs precoupado
"Meter" is pronounced "me" "ter".

"Metre" is pronounced "met" "reh".
Yori Program
They're both pronounced "me" "ter" :P
obvs precoupado
Has anyone told the French?
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
jkahless Custom Title
obvs posted:
Has anyone told the French?

Have you ever tried to tell the French something?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
A little known reason why people in the USA have never given up the ludicrous units of measure we use in cooking like the Europeans is that in most states gram accurate scales are near to impossible to get because of war on drugs rules.
That is why almost all you can get are scales accurate to an ounce ie, postal scales.
I once knew a guy who paid for his vacations in Florida by bringing back triple beam scales to resale at a large profit to drug dealers.
juice Inadvertently correct
I wondered why the scales I’ve seen are labeled as not legal for commerce. I should have known.
obvs precoupado
Pariah posted:
A little known reason why people in the USA have never given up the ludicrous units of measure we use in cooking like the Europeans is that in most states gram accurate scales are near to impossible to get because of war on drugs rules.
That is why almost all you can get are scales accurate to an ounce ie, postal scales.
I once knew a guy who paid for his vacations in Florida by bringing back triple beam scales to resale at a large profit to drug dealers.
I have four gram-accurate scales, and they're all accurate. They all give the same measurements.
TOS
Pariah posted:

for real?

that's messed up
user Stupid cockwomble
Damn.

And here I've been trying come up with a business niche.
macnuke Afar
user Stupid cockwomble
yeah I guess Unline is a good source for all other meth manufacturing goods
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:

for real?

that's messed up

Oh blatherskite. I can get a kitchen scale that does gram measurement at any fuckin' cooking or hardware supply store or a damn Walgreens.

Last edited by Robert B. on Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:38 pm.

user posted:
The meter is at least an attempt to base it on something rational and reproducible. Better than the length of some dead king's foot.

The meter is a lousy size and it's divisions are even worse. Basing a unit of measure on a certain distance of a planet is even dumber than a king's foot.

Yeah, but a foot is relateable to the human experience--for rough estimations.
I get base ten is simple, but base 12 is just as simple and in many cases better for many
tasks--baking, carpentry, etc.
I'm in no way championing the imperial system, it is HIGHLY flawed, but metric is horrible for its own reasons.
No, give me the metric system. Engineering conversions are MUCH simpler.
Robert B. posted:
TOS posted:
Pariah posted:

for real?

that's messed up

Oh blatherskite. I can get a kitchen scale that does gram measurement at any fuckin' cooking or hardware supply store or a damn Walgreens.

You both are right. You can buy gram scales off the shelf. However, having a gram scale can be considered evidence of selling drugs. Having one in your car will almost guarantee a ride to jail on drug charges.
Kirk posted:

For engineering.
No argument. It's human waste for carpentry.
dv
Séamas posted:
Kirk posted:

For engineering.
No argument. It's human waste for carpentry.

That's because all the equipment and patters are standardized to SAE. If things were clean-slate, and people stuck with round numbers in metric, it would make just as much sense, but everything would be a slightly different shape.
The photo business is mostly inches still. But the supplies from Europe and japan is all metric and then re-labelled.
4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, 16x20 etc are still the common standards for printing and framing.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 62