amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot]
Researchers find thousands of brooding octopuses on seamount in Monterey Bay:

That is just a taste. There is a YouTube video at the link.

The top of the seamount is at about 3000 meters underwater.
user Stupid cockwomble
user posted:
emo octipi?

Nah. I'm sure you meant that as a joke, but "brooding" as in watching over their eggs.
maurvir Outlier
TOS
i'm kind of disappointed they didn't aim for a collision with mars
ukimalefu Wasn't me
TOS posted:

You want Transformers? 'cause that's how you get... wait... yes, they should have done that.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
user Stupid cockwomble
macnuke Afar
that gif really needs some good pole music
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
TOS posted:

You want Transformers? 'cause that's how you get... wait... yes, they should have done that.

imagine a video feed from behind the mannequin's shoulder
TOS posted:

I'm betting that there were at least some planetary scientists--perhaps even on staff at SpaceX--who told Musk NOT to do that.

While a lot of effort went into decontaminating ALL of the landers on Mars, there is still a small chance that microbes could have survived on some or even all of them.

BUT that would be tiny compared to the possible biological effects from a USED Telsa Roadster (it was Musk's personal car for a while before the Starman launch). I'm betting that there were many parts in the Roadster which would have been impossible to decontaminate to the above degree at least economically. Even if some parts like the foam in the seats were replaced by new parts, there are few (no?) car manufacturing processes which care about microbe contamination.

Could any microbes survive the months in interplanetary space followed by the atmospheric entry and impact on Mars? I dunno and neither do any of you. But crashing the Roadster into Mars would have lost Musk a lot of respect among scientists.
DEyncourt posted:
TOS posted:

I'm betting that there were at least some planetary scientists--perhaps even on staff at SpaceX--who told Musk NOT to do that.

While a lot of effort went into decontaminating ALL of the landers on Mars, there is still a small chance that microbes could have survived on some or even all of them.

BUT that would be tiny compared to the possible biological effects from a USED Telsa Roadster (it was Musk's personal car for a while before the Starman launch). I'm betting that there were many parts in the Roadster which would have been impossible to decontaminate to the above degree at least economically. Even if some parts like the foam in the seats were replaced by new parts, there are few (no?) car manufacturing processes which care about microbe contamination.

Could any microbes survive the months in interplanetary space followed by the atmospheric entry and impact on Mars? I dunno and neither do any of you. But crashing the Roadster into Mars would have lost Musk a lot of respect among scientists.

tbh terraforming mars is a way more interesting prospect then the faint possibility that there are a couple sneezes worth of microbes that after all this time haven't gotten up to anything interesting.
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
The issue is that microbial infections can kill. They haven't identified life on Mars, but that doesn't mean there's nothing there. It wouldn't be good to accidentally wipe out all life on a planet before knowing that there had been life there.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Why did the salmon cross the road?

to get to the other side Image

click link for story and video

https://earther.gizmodo.com/extremely-r ... 1830311218
ukimalefu posted:
Why did the salmon cross the road?

to get to the other side Image

click link for story and video

https://earther.gizmodo.com/extremely-r ... 1830311218

Quote:
Still, crossing a road barely covered in water requires a lot of energy—energy the salmon could otherwise use for their long trip. It’s a reminder of the way human decisions ultimately impact the animals that were here long before us or our roads or cars.

Um, meh. I've seen some wildlife footage of salmon attempting to get to their spawning grounds and sometimes those rivers were scarcely deeper than the water on the road in that video at uki's link.
TOS
it seems voyager 2 might have really left the solar system

juice Inadvertently correct
We've heard that several times before.
user Stupid cockwomble
TOS
juice posted:
We've heard that several times before.

i know, but for real real this time, not for play play!
TOS posted:
it seems voyager 2 might have really left the solar system

I like that little bounce at the end, like "VWEEEEboink"
ukimalefu Wasn't me
don't mess with hippos

ukimalefu Wasn't me
watching that^ from the distance

ukimalefu Wasn't me
TOS
ukimalefu posted:
don't mess with hippos

hippos are goddam terrifying

i saw some in the wild in west africa and nearly human waste my pants ... they're basically great white sharks with legs
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
The hippo is the deadliest land animal after the snake (although more people die from rabies from dog bites). I wouldn't even get near one of those things.
Sorry, but my most memorable experience involving a hippo was a couple of decades ago at the San Diego Zoo.

The hippo was standing on an island which was inside a pool--presumably deep enough that adult hippos could completely submerge themselves--which in turn was inside a narrow wall which in turn was inside a deep pit that should discourage any animal from trying to cross it.

While the hippo was eating something placed by the zookeepers at the edge of that island, the hippo raised its tail and let out a strong stream which nearly reached outside of that deep pit, though fortunately not QUITE far enough to hit anyone standing next to the hippo enclosure. Perhaps that enclosure was specifically designed that way.

BUT that hippo didn't need to hit anyone because that stream STANK. People started to laugh but then had to flee from the smell.

Just another good reason to avoid hippos.
DEyncourt posted:
Sorry, but my most memorable experience involving a hippo was a couple of decades ago at the San Diego Zoo.

The hippo was standing on an island which was inside a pool--presumably deep enough that adult hippos could completely submerge themselves--which in turn was inside a narrow wall which in turn was inside a deep pit that should discourage any animal from trying to cross it.

While the hippo was eating something placed by the zookeepers at the edge of that island, the hippo raised its tail and let out a strong stream which nearly reached outside of that deep pit, though fortunately not QUITE far enough to hit anyone standing next to the hippo enclosure. Perhaps that enclosure was specifically designed that way.

BUT that hippo didn't need to hit anyone because that stream STANK. People started to laugh but then had to flee from the smell.

Just another good reason to avoid hippos.

yeah... the Calgary Zoo has splatter warning signs. They're like a gatling gun that gorged itself at the buffet at a poor quality Indian restaurant that failed health inspection ever since it opened.
TOS
dv
user posted:
veeger

V'ger
The folks at SpaceWeather.com have an early report on a newly discovered comet:

You may have to scroll down a bit to find "AMATEUR ASTRONOMERS FIND A BRIGHT NEW COMET". It was discovered only last week, made more remarkable because it was a trio of amateur astronomer who did this considering that nearly all recent comet discoveries have been made by satellites scanning the skies for near-Earth objects.

Other views of the comet's orbit can be generated here.

As with ALL comets: no guarantees on how bright this might get though right now the comet is just inside the orbit of Venus and is best viewed from well past midnight to dawn. It will get to its aphelion--about the distance of Mercury's orbit though above that orbit--on December 3-4. When the comet will be at its closest approach to Earth will be on November 27.
user Stupid cockwomble
dv posted:
user posted:
veeger

V'ger

peetato

p'tato
TOS
user posted:
dv posted:
user posted:
veeger

V'ger

peetato

p'tato

:lol:

(know what we need? an applause findey)
TOS posted:
user posted:
dv posted:
user posted:
veeger

V'ger

peetato

p'tato

:lol:

(know what we need? an applause findey)

use this
The Bad Astronomer on "Blowing square smoke rings".

There are a couple of YouTube videos, the first that shows and explains what is happening when square smoke rings are made, the second which PARTIALLY explains how the complexity of turbulence helps the stability of shapes of smoke rings.
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
Physics Girl is one of my favorite YouTube channels. Her videos always tend to be very much worth watching.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
maurvir Outlier
The Bad Astronomer on the discovery of a large asteroid impact under the ice of Greenland:

The crater was found after under-the-ice radar imaging which was was first taken by Operation IceBridge which ended in 2014. In 2016 a similar program revealed a better image (D in the above). Only after more recent analysis of sediment of the glacial runoff from Hiawatha Glacier showed quartz grains with evidence of shocked quartz confirmed that this crater only could have been formed by a meteor. There was also elevated levels of various elements like nickel which indicated that the meteor was largely metallic, so based on the size of the crater the estimate of the meteor is between 1 and 1.5 km across. Not close to the dino-killer, but probably large enough to be a regional killer.

Still, there are problems. Such a large impact must have kicked up a lot of debris, and while the ice in a wide region around the impact would have largely melted, it could not have melted all of the ice of Greenland. There should be evidence in deeper ice core samples well away from the impact site. So far no such layer has been found in Greenland or elsewhere.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46