Online now: No visible users
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway

there's a wolf in there
TOS
i must admit that took me awhile
dv
TOS posted:

I spent a few minutes squinting at my phone this morning and didn't see it.

As soon as I looked it on a proper monitor, it popped right out.
Bloodybelly comb jelly, the sole species in its genus

or, it's an alien.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
ImageImage

This variant of the Goldentail / Bastard Moray is known as the Banana Eel due to its colouration and markings resembling a ripe banana.
TOS
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
TOS
maurvir posted:
TOS posted:

:awe:

i know, right! so many pixels!
user Stupid cockwomble
compulsive obsessive aliens
user posted:
compulsive obsessive aliens

a rectangle is nothing for them, have you seen crop circles?
TOS
quite a few crises in space lately ...

-- hubble shut down
-- chandra shut down
-- iss at serious risk
-- soyuz grounded following near-catastrophe
-- sunspot observatory shut down following weird fbi raid

perhaps not a coincidence that all but one of those systems are extremely old

I have no idea what's going on
juice Inadvertently correct
Cutest cattle drive ever!
they're abandoning Opportunity

https://spacenews.com/nasa-to-soon-end- ... portunity/

I know it worked far longer than expected, but I'm actually a little sad, for a robot
ukimalefu posted:

I know it worked far longer than expected, but I'm actually a little sad, for a robot

The article says they're not abandoning it. They will still be listening for signals from it, theyr'e just not transmitting to it anymore in prep for the new project.
juice posted:
ukimalefu posted:

The article says they're not abandoning it. They will still be listening for signals from it, theyr'e just not transmitting to it anymore in prep for the new project.

yeah, they'll be listening...

Video at the link. WARNING: Overly excited scientists.
The Bad Astronomer points out that there was more than one such iceberg:

You can see part of the "original" one on the left. One of the reasons why you only saw those particular sides is that the "missing" edge makes it clear it was a trapezoid which is more easily seen in this Landsat pic:

TOS
it puts me in mind of those endless images from mars that people are sure show things like alien bones, building remains, space crabs and whatnot
user Stupid cockwomble
::scratches::
Séamas Honorary Consul General
dv posted:
TOS posted:

I spent a few minutes squinting at my phone this morning and didn't see it.

As soon as I looked it on a proper monitor, it popped right out.

I'm glad it didn't bite you.
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

amateurs are convinced it's a plume from a supposedly-extinct volcano (they're arranged in a pattern, aliens must have done it), scientists insist it's just a cloud that's been seen before

i've been following the "debate" with some dismay
TOS
roscosmos (russian space agency) releases video of recent soyuz crisis

the customary ballet of elegant soviet-era engineering descends into chaos as the whole damn thing tumbles back toward earth
NASA’s Dawn spacecraft is dead

Quote:
The spacecraft, which explored two of the largest objects in the asteroid belt missed its last two check-ins, one on October 31st and another on November 1st. Without a signal from the spacecraft, NASA engineers concluded that Dawn had finally run out of fuel, officially ending its mission.

Died over Halloween and Day of the Dead? :worriedfrown:

All these spacecraft dying recently... aliens blinding us ahead of invasion Image

Or maybe just... nothing lasts forever, things just die. :goth:

Quote:
“Dawn’s struggle will be brief, lasting only hours before the battery is exhausted. The seasoned adventurer will sink into unconsciousness. At some later time, as its stately rotation brings the solar arrays back into the light, it may well begin to revive, but the cycle will repeat.” Rayman wrote.

Dawn’s shell is still in that last orbit around the dwarf planet Ceres. Without fuel, it can’t hold itself steady enough to harvest energy from its solar panels or turn its transmitter back to Earth for a final goodbye. It will stay like that for at least 20 years, circling around the dwarf planet, silent and powerless.

Atacama desert, Chile
"Russia Blames a Bad Sensor for Its Failed Rocket Launch".

This IS good news because the Russians can launch again, though after any currently assembled rockets are checked for any problem sensors.

The Soyuzs are rated for 200 days in space, so had the Russians been unable to figure out the problem then that would have required that the ISS be abandoned for some time because the current crew would be required to use the remaining Soyuz before its 200 days were up.
TOS
DEyncourt posted:
"Russia Blames a Bad Sensor for Its Failed Rocket Launch".

This IS good news because the Russians can launch again, though after any currently assembled rockets are checked for any problem sensors.

The Soyuzs are rated for 200 days in space, so had the Russians been unable to figure out the problem then that would have required that the ISS be abandoned for some time because the current crew would be required to use the remaining Soyuz before its 200 days were up.

still, i'd be mighty nervous if i was scheduled to ride on that thing
The Bad Astronomer on the preliminary moves by Hayabusa-2 to prepare for its landing on Ryugu:

That picture is just a taste. Check out this video (also at the above link) putting together several images (taken at about 1-second intervals) as the spacecraft approached then pulled away from Ryugu.
TOS
dat shadow doe
The Bad Astronomer on how the spacecraft Gaia has detected that about 10 B years ago the Milky Way "ate" another galaxy about 1/4th its size:

Part of the reasoning behind this is that part of Gaia's mission is to map a LOT of stars including data such as their proper motion, but about 30 K of the analyzed individual stars actually move in the opposite direction--though sharing a general incline of between 30º and 60º to most Milky Way stars including the Sun--around the center of the Milky Way. That 30 K is probably only a tiny fraction of all those stars because we cannot see most of the stars within the Milky Way because--us being embedded within--we have too much blocking our view.

One of the objects that share that movement in the opposite direction and general incline is Omega Centari (which got THAT name because it was thought to be just another star until telescopes revealed that it is a globular cluster). The scientists who found this data proposed that Omega Centauri--which is the largest globular cluster that we can see with some 10 M stars, compared to most globular clusters which are in the range of between 10 K to 1 M stars--may have been the core of that eaten galaxy.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 77