amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 79
Online now: Google [Bot]
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
ukimalefu posted:

It still probably won't be within my lifetime, but I anticipate that we will start mining those eventually. With the amounts of raw minerals, metals, and water contained in asteroids and comets, there will one day be ships made of materials that have never encountered a true atmosphere.
juice Inadvertently correct
There are THIRTEEN separate script requests on that site. No thanks.
TOS
maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:

It still probably won't be within my lifetime, but I anticipate that we will start mining those eventually. With the amounts of raw minerals, metals, and water contained in asteroids and comets, there will one day be ships made of materials that have never encountered a true atmosphere.

i hope not

the answer to overconsumption isn't to find new resources but rather to tackle the goddamned overconsumption
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:

TOS posted:
maurvir posted:

i hope not

the answer to overconsumption isn't to find new resources but rather to tackle the goddamned overconsumption

That's a nice sentiment. What are you willing to do without? What will you tell your kids and grandkids when they WILL not have in their 20s what you had in your 20s?

You don't have to a Betsy DeVos to be an example of overconsumption. Fact is that unless you are in the economically lowest 20% in most western economies, you have a basic lifestyle that is simply beyond the wildest dreams of 2/3rd of the world's population IF they could only see it ("Cheap and safe drinking water ON DEMAND? IN your homes?"). Even if you have personally strained to minimize your ecological and economic footprints, nonetheless you broadly benefit from all sorts of goodies that (sometimes not-so-)subtly affect you.

Sure, products like Fiji Water are obvious and stupid indulgences, but how about those wines on your store shelves that came from vineyards in Chile or New Zealand or "just" California? Those bottles didn't just fly towards you on their own, and to be able to see those products at all you have a whole infrastructure of ships, docks, roads, trucks, streets, building materials, electricity, water...the list goes on and on. And before you complain "I don't drink wine", where did the components for the computing device that you used to type that come from? Where were some of their more exotic materials mined?

So: a nice sentiment, but a worldwide economic averaging likely would mean that EVERYONE would have the lifestyle of the lower middle class of China or India (and that is probably super-optimistic). And I don't mean that "class" in cities like Shanghai--such regions are as much indulgent bubbles within China's economy as most of the Western World is to the rest of the world.
"Engineers teach a drone to herd birds away from airports autonomously":

To work, the drone has to strike a balance between distance and being threatening. Too far and the flock ignores the drone, but if the drone swoops in too fast then the flock behavior breaks down because the birds panic and start to act individually. But piloted drones cannot act swiftly enough so the engineers had to program in this flock-chasing behavior into autonomous drones.
TOS
DEyncourt posted:
TOS posted:
maurvir posted:

i hope not

That's a nice sentiment. What are you willing to do without? What will you tell your kids and grandkids when they WILL not have in their 20s what you had in your 20s?

You don't have to a Betsy DeVos to be an example of overconsumption. Fact is that unless you are in the economically lowest 20% in most western economies, you have a basic lifestyle that is simply beyond the wildest dreams of 2/3rd of the world's population IF they could only see it ("Cheap and safe drinking water ON DEMAND? IN your homes?"). Even if you have personally strained to minimize your ecological and economic footprints, nonetheless you broadly benefit from all sorts of goodies that (sometimes not-so-)subtly affect you.

Sure, products like Fiji Water are obvious and stupid indulgences, but how about those wines on your store shelves that came from vineyards in Chile or New Zealand or "just" California? Those bottles didn't just fly towards you on their own, and to be able to see those products at all you have a whole infrastructure of ships, docks, roads, trucks, streets, building materials, electricity, water...the list goes on and on. And before you complain "I don't drink wine", where did the components for the computing device that you used to type that come from? Where were some of their more exotic materials mined?

So: a nice sentiment, but a worldwide economic averaging likely would mean that EVERYONE would have the lifestyle of the lower middle class of China or India (and that is probably super-optimistic). And I don't mean that "class" in cities like Shanghai--such regions are as much indulgent bubbles within China's economy as most of the Western World is to the rest of the world.

there simply aren't enough resources to sustain our current rate of consumption, much less expand it to billions more in places like china and india ... asteroids? we're going to need multiple earths

we're all going to have to "do without" whether we like it or not

nice sentiment? more like a simple statement of fact
Population size.

The species is in danger out outgrowing the petri dish.

juice Inadvertently correct
Is that Malthusian theory again?
start saving for a ticket to Elon Musk's Mars base.
TOS posted:
DEyncourt posted:
TOS posted:
maurvir posted:

i hope not

there simply aren't enough resources to sustain our current rate of consumption, much less expand it to billions more in places like china and india ... asteroids? we're going to need multiple earths

we're all going to have to "do without" whether we like it or not

nice sentiment? more like a simple statement of fact

So your "solution" is that we WILL do without all sorts of stuff?

I'm not happy with that.

Is it too unrealistic to hope for asteroid mining? Well, given the current worldwide anti-science sentiment, perhaps so. But it would have been absolutely unrealistic to have shipped wines from across wide expanses of the globe during the days of sailing ships (at least not without having each bottle costing a prince's ransom). The fact that we can this economically now is just a small measure of how "wasteful" in power we have become.

I'd rather have a better world for ALL. To hell with being realistic.
I believe it is fairly inevitable that there will be a global scale crash at some point that resets humanity back to a lower level. I'm not sure what that will look like, or when it will happen, but the math is fairly clear. The question is whether or not civilization as we know it survives.

We laugh at the Saudi princes, knowing that their grandchildren will probably be wallowing in the dunes like their grandparents did, but the fact is, the west isn't a whole lot better off in many respects. Overconsumption of resources is a global problem and one that will get solved one way or the other.
dv
maurvir posted:
I believe it is fairly inevitable that there will be a global scale crash at some point that resets humanity back to a lower level. I'm not sure what that will look like, or when it will happen, but the math is fairly clear. The question is whether or not civilization as we know it survives.

We laugh at the Saudi princes, knowing that their grandchildren will probably be wallowing in the dunes like their grandparents did, but the fact is, the west isn't a whole lot better off in many respects. Overconsumption of resources is a global problem and one that will get solved one way or the other.

Define "lower".

If technological progress and efficiencies of scale means that everybody on the planet has a 1950's-USA level of access to consumer goods, luxury items, housing, etc., that's actually progress overall, even if it means our grandkids live in smaller homes and eat less meat than we do, or "only" have two TVs per household. We've been borrowing unsustainably and know it. It hardly requires the reset of human civilization.

It would also be nice if "stuff" lasted longer and was easier to fix, too - minimizing waste would be necessary in any kind of sustainable future.
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

Define "lower".

If technological progress and efficiencies of scale means that everybody on the planet has a 1950's-USA level of access to consumer goods, luxury items, housing, etc., that's actually progress overall, even if it means our grandkids live in smaller homes and eat less meat than we do, or "only" have two TVs per household.

It would also be nice if "stuff" lasted longer and was easier to fix.

The 1950's would standard of living, at least in the US and Europe, would be awesome, but no, I think that's a bit too optimistic. :worriedfrown:

On the other hand...

The future is going to be weird.
TOS
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

Define "lower".

If technological progress and efficiencies of scale means that everybody on the planet has a 1950's-USA level of access to consumer goods, luxury items, housing, etc., that's actually progress overall, even if it means our grandkids live in smaller homes and eat less meat than we do, or "only" have two TVs per household. We've been borrowing unsustainably and know it. It hardly requires the reset of human civilization.

It would also be nice if "stuff" lasted longer and was easier to fix, too - minimizing waste would be necessary in any kind of sustainable future.

well in the 50s, it was still a big deal to get a phone that wasn't on a party line

but they didn't expect a constant flow of absurdly cheap clothes, and they probably wouldn't believe the amount of food that goes to waste these days

if we could streamline our food supply chain, and even just keep things longer instead of constantly replacing them, it would help a lot

plus other easily achievable things like home-mounted solar panels that charge electric cars
dv
TOS posted:
dv posted:
maurvir posted:

Define "lower".

well in the 50s, it was still a big deal to get a phone that wasn't on a party line

but they didn't expect a constant flow of absurdly cheap clothes, and they probably wouldn't believe the amount of food that goes to waste these days

if we could streamline our food supply chain, and even just keep things longer instead of constantly replacing them, it would help a lot

plus other easily achievable things like home-mounted solar panels that charge electric cars

Yup.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
We absolutely could set a higher standard of living globally simply by ending the status economy and behaving responsibly.

Neither will occur.
dawn of the planet of the apes

it's coming
no you're not

Metacell posted:
We absolutely could set a higher standard of living globally simply by ending the status economy and behaving responsibly.

Neither will occur.

There has always been a form of "status economy", it's just that it is a lot more conspicuous now, and more people are participating.

the source didn't explain anything

tornado?

lightning?

aliens?
Probably a tornado. There are still several trees in my area that look similar to that.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
I'm thinking it might partly have to do with (not sure if this is true or not) trees growing in a spiral fashion--perhaps ala fibonacci?
TOS
Metacell posted:

Neither will occur.

not on purpose, anyway
dv
Séamas posted:
I'm thinking it might partly have to do with (not sure if this is true or not) trees growing in a spiral fashion--perhaps ala fibonacci?

No.

It split straight up and down, then turned as it fell.

Wood grain runs straight. Trees grow in concentric circles.
jkahless Custom Title
Slow growing tees in hostile environments can grow in a spiral. There's lots of different theories why. I've heard stories of people using green wood for masts and having to rotate them a few degrees from time to time as the wood seasons and the crossovers twist.
jkahless Custom Title
dv
jkahless posted:

Neat.

Doesn't look like the picture above though
Amateur fossil hunter discovers cache of sharks' teeth about 25 M years old:

While individual ancient sharks teeth are relatively common because sharks regularly replace them all the time, scientists have theorized that this now-extinct larger Great Jagged Narrow-Toothed Shark had died and other smaller sharks were feeding on its carcass (thus leaving some of their own teeth here).

It is hoped that further digging in the area might reveal more fossilized remains of that larger shark.
BBC Click shows what greenscreen is capable of NOW.

Andy Serkis can now complain: "You kids will never know the pain and trouble of having to dress in a suit strategically covered with balls of styrofoam...".

There are also segments on laser projections upon buildings, how data is being collected and shared with riders and the audience during the Tour de France, an experimental bicycle frame which can communicate data on stress points, how rangers for the Great Barrier Reef are using tech to help preserve an island for endangered green turtles.
dv posted:
jkahless posted:

Neat.

Doesn't look like the picture above though

Sure, but the examples shown in the pics in that article were specifically of trees which had their bark stripped off.

It may be possible that the tree in uki's pic actually had grown with a spiral grain for unclear reasons, then whatever caused the trunk to split apart (lightning strike?) revealed this fact.
Video tweet from NASA TV showing clip featuring Dr. Eugene Parker having just watched the launch of his namesake spacecraft on its way to study the Sun. It also happens to be his first rocket launch that he had seen live (as opposed to watching video feeds).

As I type this the Parker probe is already on its way to intercept Venus for a gravity assist towards the Sun.
Ant face under microscope.

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 79