nice

i was thinking lake superior
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Bioluminous Plankton glowing in the Australian night sky
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS posted:
yowch

OMG I totally expected that to be some dude wearing latex leggings and then..... :eek:
Séamas Honorary Consul General
The closest I ever came to getting a sunburn that bad was after spending a day at the ocean where it was slightly chilly and overcast.
We had no clue we were getting completely roasted until it was too late.
TOS
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle

Link is to a fantastic article on sleep by National Geographic
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

amazing!
TOS posted:

FTFY

While the evidence that was gathered has as its closest Earth equivalent being subglacial lakes, of course we are talking about another planet. There could be some uniquely Martian formation that is causing this, so short of an actual physical exploration of that area there is some room for uncertainty.
TOS
DEyncourt posted:
TOS posted:

FTFY

While the evidence that was gathered has as its closest Earth equivalent being subglacial lakes, of course we are talking about another planet. There could be some uniquely Martian formation that is causing this, so short of an actual physical exploration of that area there is some room for uncertainty.

hence my "reportedly" qualifier
no, it IS water, and, green, glowing (since they get no sunlight), martian eels live in there.
macnuke Afar
ukimalefu posted:
no, it IS water, and, green, glowing (since they get no sunlight), martian eels live in there.

everyone knows Martians are green spacemen.. DUH :der:
macnuke posted:
ukimalefu posted:

everyone knows Martians are green spacemen.. DUH :der:

Well, ok, I guess martian aquaman is a possibility.
TOS
TOS posted:
DEyncourt posted:
TOS posted:

FTFY

hence my "reportedly" qualifier

Sure, but your linked article was rather breathlessly (though probably mis-?)quoting scientists as if this were fact.
No pics for this (yet?), but....

Astronomers have been tracking a star in a relatively close orbit around the Milky Way's central black hole.

The star's complete elliptical orbit takes about 30 years. When it made its closest approach of about 120 AU or 18 B km (mind you: Neptune's orbit is only 30 AU/4.5 B km and takes 165 years to orbit around the Sun) this past May 19th, it was moving at about 8 K km/sec or 2.7% the speed of light relative to the black hole.

For size comparison: the Milky Way's central black hole is estimated to be about 4.5 M solar masses which would make its event horizon about 0.09 AU or 13.5 M km in radius or about 1/3rd the average distance between the Sun and Mercury.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Metacell posted:

how much more black could it be?

Quote:
The Japanese spacecraft Hayabusa2 has made some of its closest approaches to asteroid Ryugu yet, returning breathtaking images. Here you can see the an image of the asteroid from just six kilometers (3.72 miles) away. One pixel in the image is around 60 centimeters (1.9 feet).

https://gizmodo.com/japanese-spacecraft ... 1827888381

Quote:
Hayabusa2 will eventually try to sample the asteroid’s surface.

TOS
Mars south pole (white thing at the bottom)

justine Elitist Beer Lover
TOS
Séamas Honorary Consul General
about three weeks ago I was ac close to a lightening strike as I had ever been.

If it was more than 15 feet away I would be surprised.
It was weird as It was pretty obvious a storm was coming, on my way home I could hear some interruptions of the radio signal, but saw no lightening and heard no thunder.
When I walked from the car to my house, the wind was picking up and it was just barely starting to rain, and then the instant I stepped on my porch--YTZZZAPPP!
It was a high pitched thunderclap and I could hear a sizzle and could swear it was within a few feet of me.

Supposed to have nasty storms this evening.

^ That guy, saying he can "feel it in the air" should have went indoors. If you feel some sort of static charge when outdoors during a storm it is NOT a good sign--hit the deck.
dv
Séamas posted:
about three weeks ago I was ac close to a lightening strike as I had ever been.

If it was more than 15 feet away I would be surprised.
It was weird as It was pretty obvious a storm was coming, on my way home I could hear some interruptions of the radio signal, but saw no lightening and heard no thunder.
When I walked from the car to my house, the wind was picking up and it was just barely starting to rain, and then the instant I stepped on my porch--YTZZZAPPP!
It was a high pitched thunderclap and I could hear a sizzle and could swear it was within a few feet of me.

Supposed to have nasty storms this evening.

^ That guy, saying he can "feel it in the air" should have went indoors. If you feel some sort of static charge when outdoors during a storm it is NOT a good sign--hit the deck.

At the very end of the clip, the camera twists to the right and you can see a wall behind him. I think he was indoors - although maybe with the window open?
Mars is closest to Earth this weekend.

https://www.space.com/41301-look-up-for ... ekend.html

You'll find it near the full moon. It will be the very bright "star" with a red/orange hue. It will NOT be the size of the moon.

It's very cloudy here :(
Pariah Know Your Enemy
TOS
macnuke Afar
gahdzirra shall return
TOS
"target washington first"
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 77