Page: 1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 78
Online now: Google [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Mt St.Helens?
dv
maurvir posted:

That's... a really terrible way to go...
TOS
looks damn painful
"A Massive, Black Sarcophagus Has Been Unearthed in Egypt, And Nobody Knows Who's Inside":

There was this head in alabaster which was "discovered in the same underground tomb" but it is unclear if it has any relationship to the person buried in the sarcophagus:

The site has been dated to between 305 BCE and 30 BCE.

I'll note that the sarcophagus is--for an ancient Egyptian relic--remarkably undecorated. My guess is that it might be for an important official under one of the Ptolemys who ruled over Egypt after it had been conquered by Alexander the Great, thus more reflective of a foreign design.
user Stupid cockwomble
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
DON'T OPEN IT !!!!!
TOS
it seems archeologists have learned the fine art of clickbait
TOS posted:
it seems archeologists have learned headline writers still use the fine art of clickbait

FTFY
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
juice Inadvertently correct
Hammy, is that you?
TOS
TOS posted:
:(

don't be sad

that is just a generic bear, cute bear, that can cut you, slice you, and dice you, in a couple seconds.
"Mexico earthquake leads to discovery of ancient temple":

Quote:
The main structures at the archaeological site of Teopanzolco are thought to date back to the 13th Century, which means that the newly discovered temple would have predated them.

[Archaeologist Barbara] Koniecza says it was not unusual for the Tlahuica to build on top of older structures.

Séamas Honorary Consul General

Electron microscopy of an ant face.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Wow! Looks just like Paul Rudd ...
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
TOS
kind of surprising it's taken this long to do that
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
we've had color for years but its always been just assigning values to shades of grey
TOS
surprising, isn't it?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
This is the same thing, really. Just a better algorithm.
DEyncourt posted:
"A Massive, Black Sarcophagus Has Been Unearthed in Egypt, And Nobody Knows Who's Inside":

There was this head in alabaster which was "discovered in the same underground tomb" but it is unclear if it has any relationship to the person buried in the sarcophagus:

I'll note that the sarcophagus is--for an ancient Egyptian relic--remarkably undecorated. My guess is that it might be for an important official under one of the Ptolemys who ruled over Egypt after it had been conquered by Alexander the Great, thus more reflective of a foreign design.

It's the guy who founded the city, the lost tomb of Alexander the Great. It is dated right to that time period and he had an unhealthy obsession with alabaster.

National Geographic Travel Photographer of the year, 3rd place

The image is called "Mars", but I doubt the photographer traveled there.

Couldn't find out where it was taken. I found the image in a few websites, but I didn't try National Geographic :shrug:
user Stupid cockwomble
Earth Pyramids of Platten. They are situated in Northern Italy’s South Tyrol region.

Modern Met website.
user posted:
Earth Pyramids of Platten. They are situated in Northern Italy’s South Tyrol region.

Modern Met website.

:up:
TOS
Aaron_R posted:
DEyncourt posted:

It's the guy who founded the city, the lost tomb of Alexander the Great. It is dated right to that time period and he had an unhealthy obsession with alabaster.

if it really is the tomb of Alexander, that would make it one of the greatest archeological finds in history

frankly i'm doubtful that such is the case, though it's an intriguing notion
ukimalefu posted:
[snip of animated GIF linked to original video]

Heh. I was reading the bottom comments within that GIF (without noticing the UPPER caption AND having missed the opening parts showing the creator's face) AND I knew who that guy was.
While not QUITE as dramatic, here are SOME of the Pinnacles located within Crater Lake National Park:

These can be seen next to (of course) Pinnacles Road about 4 miles from the crater/lake on the downslope of Mount Mazama.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 78