Post by DukeofNuke »

Yeah, it's like that ...
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
macnuke
Title: PureBleed

Post by macnuke »

wonder if i can get that all running before october 31 ?

People that do not succeed in politics usually tell the truth too often.

TOS

Post by TOS »

the manned version of the dragon capsule being tested at nasa

"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
ukimalefu
Title: DEFCON 5

Post by ukimalefu »

I don't know why I was expecting space x to go full private for the first flight. Their own test, with their own astronauts.

But I suppose NASA has the knowledge and experience of what good spacecraft should have.

Or maybe this is about legal stuff? Space X must go through NASA to be allowed to fly people to space?
dv

Post by dv »

ukimalefu wrote: I don't know why I was expecting space x to go full private for the first flight. Their own test, with their own astronauts.

But I suppose NASA has the knowledge and experience of what good spacecraft should have.

Or maybe this is about legal stuff? Space X must go through NASA to be allowed to fly people to space?

The testing equipment costs more than the spaceship and NASA has it all already.
DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

that thing sure has a lot of screws
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Aaron_R

Post by Aaron_R »

ukimalefu wrote: I don't know why I was expecting space x to go full private for the first flight. Their own test, with their own astronauts.

because they aren't blue origin and want to suckle from the tit of govment funded research. Once ULA can proceed with the first tests of it's Vulcan Rocket after Blue Origin finishes the BE4 they are using (is the most powerful reusable multifire capable rocket engine @ 2.4million Newtons of thrust & it's completely designed and manufactured in the US) it's all gg for spacex & their falcon.

you have the entire recreational space tourism thing but that is a teeny tiny drop in the fiscal bucket atm so New Glenn, Dragon, Virgin Galactic, Starliner etc. are backseat to the real money makers, the launch vessels and heavy lifters which the Vulcan will take frontrunner slot over once it's debuted.

Vulcan...in 134 seconds
Its easy to know what you are against, quite an honour to know what you are for.
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

TOS

Post by TOS »

in order to get "man rated" they'd have to go through all the same tests nasa is carrying out anyway

even then, nasa has some very serious safety concerns about the manned dragon, especially space-x's planned practice of quick-fueling the rocket just before liftoff, with astronauts on board
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
dv

Post by dv »

TOS wrote:

in order to get "man rated" they'd have to go through all the same tests nasa is carrying out anyway

even then, nasa has some very serious safety concerns about the manned dragon, especially space-x's planned practice of quick-fueling the rocket just before liftoff, with astronauts on board

You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it?
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

TOS wrote:even then, nasa has some very serious safety concerns about the manned dragon, especially space-x's planned practice of quick-fueling the rocket just before liftoff, with astronauts on board

IF, a very big if, they do that.

I guess the plan is to do the same thing they're doing now, but with people inside? the concern is understandable, but they've been very reliable so far.

I hope they work it out. The option is what, keep paying the russians to launch astronauts? wait for Boeing?
Séamas
Title: Honorary Consul General

Post by Séamas »

TOS wrote: the manned version of the dragon capsule being tested at nasa

Where are they putting the NY Yankees logo?
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
dv

Post by dv »

Séamas wrote:
TOS wrote: the manned version of the dragon capsule being tested at nasa

Where are they putting the NY Yankees logo?

It really does kinda look pretty KSP-ish.

Add some SRBs and it would be REALLY Kerbal.
TOS

Post by TOS »

ukimalefu wrote:
TOS wrote:even then, nasa has some very serious safety concerns about the manned dragon, especially space-x's planned practice of quick-fueling the rocket just before liftoff, with astronauts on board

IF, a very big if, they do that.

I guess the plan is to do the same thing they're doing now, but with people inside? the concern is understandable, but they've been very reliable so far.

I hope they work it out. The option is what, keep paying the russians to launch astronauts? wait for Boeing?

unfortunately the "this known defect hasn't killed anyone so far" school of thought has proven guaranteed to kill astronauts

link

i love how they call nasa "safety-obsessed" ... a horrifyingly ironic label
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

It's the same market; the same talent pool; the same technology; the same customers and ultimately the same source of revenue, which is basically what gets skimmed off consumer imports. Musk, Bezos and their ilk can't re-invest everything in their revenue stream because there really isn't much there that needs investing. So they have to invest the money elsewhere. Is that good? Is that a result of an unsustainable flow of money and resources?

I'm very pessimistic about why money is finding its way to these enterprises. Something is off.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
TOS

Post by TOS »

your analysis of space-x's business model makes no sense at all
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Another successful SpaceX launch, with a reused first stage. Deploying multiple satellites, there's the money.

https://youtu.be/I_0GgKfwCSk?t=893
TOS

Post by TOS »

the rarely-seen skywhale

TOS

Post by TOS »

baby 'phants

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

TOS

Post by TOS »

don't lie, we know that's an entrance to an alien underground city
maurvir
Title: Steamed meat popsicle

Post by maurvir »

A bad day at Pompeii. Fortunately, the poor bastard was stoned off his ass.
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Some more details on "Archaeologists uncover remains of man crushed as he fled Pompeii" (with a short video too).
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

"The Case of the Backwards Orbiting Asteroid".

The otherwise unnamed asteroid 2015 BZ508 is orbiting in a tilted and somewhat elliptical retrograde (i.e. clockwise when seen from the north pole of the Solar System) orbit with the same length as the orbit of Jupiter. When BZ is making its closest INBOUND approach to Jupiter (at about the 0:16 point of the video) it is somewhat sped up, but at its closest OUTBOUND approach to Jupiter (at about the 0:24 point of the video) the asteroid gets slowed down by the same degree.

Some have argued that this unlikely orbit makes it more probable that BZ is an interstellar object, while others claim that it is possible that the asteroid may be from the Sun's own Oort cloud.

For anyone claiming that this unlikelihood is an argument for design are putting the cart before the horse: anything that did not have an orbit with such harmonics simply would not be seen and it would have been knocked by gravity into another path, or simply passed out of the Solar System like Oumuamua. Or like the case of the harmonics between the orbits of Neptune and Pluto: had any Kuiper Belt objects been just a bit off of Pluto's orbit then eventually interaction with Neptune's gravity would have destablized that object's orbit.
dv

Post by dv »

If you a slingshot just right in Kerbal space program you can get your orbit reversed. So I'd go with "almost hit Jupiter, didn't."
TOS

Post by TOS »

TOS

Post by TOS »

hummingbird courtship display

user
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

"I asume you just did it right then, didn't you?"
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Cliffs of Moher
Séamas
Title: Honorary Consul General

Post by Séamas »

Cool. I've been to Dun Angus which is 20 meters shorter. Still kinda scary. Some ancient people had a stone fortification up atop the cliff--or possibly half the fort fell into the sea ages ago.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

TOS

Post by TOS »

20m-high lava bubble in hawaii

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

dv wrote: If you a slingshot just right in Kerbal space program you can get your orbit reversed. So I'd go with "almost hit Jupiter, didn't."

Sure, you can do that. That is easy.

Now put it into a stable orbit.
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

No pictures or video, but I thought this should go here.

Gorillas in Rwanda warn off people looking for snares, go in themselves to break it.

Bush hunters in Rwanda use snares which they set up by placing a rope noose on the ground attached to a bent-over bamboo stalk with something to hold the rope noose in place such that accidentally moving the item holding it down would spring the noose. While those bush hunters have no interest in capturing gorillas, these traps can be dangerous for young gorillas who can be too small to extract themselves even when they do not sustain serious injuries from the snares.

While a team of rangers for Rwanda's Volcanoes National Park were looking for such snares in 2012, their tracker was approaching a snare to disassemble it when a dominant male gorilla gave him a warning signal which basically told him not to move forward. A pair of juveniles then rushed in with one jumping on the bent bamboo stalk to break it and the other "freed the noose" (I am uncertain what was this phrase meant precisely).

The rangers then observed this pair disassemble another snare.

While the rangers are restricted from attempting to teach other gorillas such techniques, they hope that these juveniles themselves will teach others in their clan.
DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Demo of using saccades to alter a VR-user's motion within the REAL environment.

Saccades happen when larger eye movements basically create brief moments of actual visual blindness.

The VR software also creates visual points of interests away from the center of vision which increases the number of saccades with little distraction for the user. This enables the software to redirect users away from static AND mobile objects in the real world (those mobile objects can include other VR users).

This is from a paper to be published at SIGGRAPH 2018 in Vancouver.
TOS

Post by TOS »

juice
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

I shouldn't have read the comments.
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Africa is a huge nation and so much of it is covered in snow. Back in the old days it was called the dark continent and this picture proves it.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys