Page: 1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78
Online now: Google [Bot], mmaverick
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Huh I didn't think Barn Owls would nest in a low wall
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
TOS
that's pretty cool

i'm fascinated by the remains of towns in the midwest ... i wish we knew more about those cultures
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
maurvir posted:

Those guys are HUGE!!!
jkahless Custom Title
Pithecanthropus posted:
maurvir posted:

Those guys are HUGE!!!

Truly giants in their field!

I've never seen multi-color corn. But I've seen all purple corn, and the normal yellow.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
I've never seen one like the one in the middle, but I've seen ones like the one right above that, and the one in the upper right corner. And I've never seen ones like the others.
juice Inadvertently correct
My grandfather planted corn like that every year in his garden. He called it Indian corn.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
ukimalefu posted:

I've never seen multi-color corn.

Really? Interesting.

It's a very common decoration this time of year around here and has been longer than I have been alive.

The most common eating corn around here for the last couple of decades is a bi-color white and yellow corn. Very sweet.
Over seven years on Mars

Last edited by ukimalefu on Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:33 pm.

nature knows best
jkahless Custom Title
Don’t fiddlesticks with geese or swans.
macnuke Afar
jkahless posted:

and wear your goddam mask

I have no information on that, but lots of smoke, lightning, water... I guess it's an underwater volcano, probably in Hawaii.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
No way, that's, like, Ghidora at least. Could be Megalon.
Metacell posted:
No way, that's, like, Ghidora at least. Could be Megalon.

Kaiju? in real life? well... it is 2020...
red jellyfish sprite lightning

Or, maybe the kaijus are really coming...
macnuke Afar
it's 2020
I suspect the latter
jkahless posted:

I remember my dad telling me about a time when he witnessed a swan kill a dog that was pestering it. Just mercilessly beat it to death with its wings.
jkahless Custom Title
Séamas posted:
jkahless posted:

I remember my dad telling me about a time when he witnessed a swan kill a dog that was pestering it. Just mercilessly beat it to death with its wings.

Small children in Canada are taught to look both ways before crossing, never get in a car with a stranger, and never fiddlesticks with a goose. Not even joking.
TOS
not too long ago i was walking down my street (there’s a pond at the end of it) and came across a lady, apparently new to canada, encouraging her kids to try and pet the geese ... they were very young geese and the parents were watching very closely

i literally yelled at them to stop, using gestures to demonstrate how vicious the birds were

they indeed left but probably thought i was the world’s biggest uncouth individual
jkahless Custom Title
There are certain safety items they should include early in the immigration process. The danger of drowning in invisible water hazards is another one that immigrants often don’t fully understand. A couple gentlemen died swimming in a waterfall plunge pool earlier this summer, just sucked in. :’(
Sodalite is a type of rock that reacts with UV light. When exposed to it, the rock turns to a golden, lava-like color.

better quality video here:

https://gfycat.com/bowedwickedeastsiberianlaika
dv
jkahless posted:
Séamas posted:
jkahless posted:

Small children in Canada are taught to look both ways before crossing, never get in a car with a stranger, and never fiddlesticks with a goose. Not even joking.

The geese are here in the spring and the fall. In the spring when they have their babies with them they are 10x more aggressive. You give those stick fiddlers a wide berth like you would a bear with cubs.

Even in the fall, they're wild animals and you don't play with wild animals, but they're much better guests - moving out of the way of traffic, largely avoiding people, etc.

But I also know people who will kill them for fun. So maybe they're smart enough to be scared of America.
Canada geese aren't afraid of this area of America-- they are here year round.

The school district has a company contracted to keep them off the sports fields--using border collies. I suspect the dogs LOVE their job.
dv
Séamas posted:
Canada geese aren't afraid of this area of America-- they are here year round.

The school district has a company contracted to keep them off the sports fields--using border collies. I suspect the dogs LOVE their job.

El Peñón in Guatape, Colombia. A 656ft Granite rock

https://the-earth-story.com/post/114318 ... s-found-in
Neat, a similar thing near me is Walter's Wiggles in Zion National Park. It's only about half that high.

https://www.hikespeak.com/trails/angels ... hike-zion/

Last edited by Kirk on Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:21 pm.

juice Inadvertently correct
Kirk posted:
Neat, a similar thing near me is Walter's Wiggles in Zion National Park. It's only about half that high.

https://www.hikespeak.com/trails/angels ... hike-zion/

Damn, I need to get there. I was in the area but it was too early in the season and the snow was prohibitive.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I can't match the drama, but I do have to drive across this uncouth individual four times a week.

Pine Mountain https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Moun ... _Mountains)
TOS
i'm a five minute drive from the oak ridges moraine, where i regularly take my kids for hikes

Oldest sperm ever found, and they're "giant"

Get ready for... Cretaceous Park?

https://rappler.com/science/scientists- ... 1600222175
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78