amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], ukimalefu
TOS
juice Inadvertently correct
That looks like the clouds in Flash Gordon.
ukimalefu Canadized
unreal is what it looks like, not as in fake, but as in mind blowing
TOS
ukimalefu Canadized
ukimalefu Canadized

There has been people in space constantly for the last 20 years. OK, technically is 20 years in October, but I don't care.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-count ... e-station/

Right now, there are 3 people up there

https://www.howmanypeopleareinspacerightnow.com/

And you can be notified when the ISS is going over you. I've seen it many times.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

We live in the future
ukimalefu Canadized
Oh, and you can control a robot in another planet from your home... or you could, if you worked for NASA.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/nasas- ... -from-home

TOS
macnuke Afar
mammogram.... definitely a mammogram
ukimalefu Canadized
macnuke posted:
mammogram.... definitely a mammogram

Rule 34. The final frontier.
All I see is a watch on its side.
ukimalefu Canadized
Betonhaus posted:
All I see is a watch on its side.

well, they call it "space-time" for a reason.
ukimalefu Canadized
ukimalefu Canadized

JUNO:Jupiter flyby, Perijove 16/ Detail006

Quote:
“On October 29, 2018, NASA’s Juno probe successfully performed her Perijove-16 Jupiter flyby.
This time, Juno’s spin axis was pointed away from Earth, in order to obtain a better view to Jupiter for Juno’s instruments. At the same time, solar conjunction was appraoching. So, the amount of data was more restricted for this perijove pass than usual.
JunoCam’s priority was on high-quality close-up images. Images of the north polar region were dedicated for long-exposure observations close to the terminator.”

ukimalefu Canadized

Bear face-palm?

Snout palm?

Hammy face-palm?
ukimalefu Canadized
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
ukimalefu posted:

As an aside, the next video (for me) was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR3Igc3Rhfg

I have seen it before, but it never fails to amaze. To be honest, I needed to see it again, just to remind myself of the scale of things.
"Tracking the ‘Murder Hornet’: A Deadly Pest Has Reached North America":

First spotted in Washington State, the Asian giant hornet may have come across the Canadian border. A nest was found late last year on Vancouver Island, but experts claim that the hornets are unlikely to have flown across water to the mainland.

A dead hornet found in Blaine, Washington, was determined to be genetically unrelated to that nest on Vancouver Island, so a search is on to locate where that dead hornet's nest is.

Nests can devastate bee hives.
TOS
oh cool, the media can return to their killer bee meme, it's been awhile
Unexpected result: the ionosphere can be affected by earthquakes and any resulting tsunamis for days.

A study upon the effects from the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami showed that around Japan the ionosphere had disturbances that were equivalent to an X-class solar flare that lasted for as long as 46 hours following the quake. It caused "twinkling" in GPS satellite signals that in Japan some GPS devices lost their locks on any GPS satellites during that period. The suspected reason for this phenomenon lasting so long was REFLECTED tsunamis:

Quote:
Reflected tsunami waves backscattered by (a-c) seafloor topography on 11 March 2011 and backscattered by (d) South America on 13 March 2011. From the models of Tang et al. (2012)

ukimalefu Canadized
You suppose he could see his reflection in the glass?
ukimalefu Canadized
juice posted:
You suppose he could see his reflection in the glass?

maybe
TOS
heat of jupiter's lower atmosphere captured through gaps in higher-altitude cloud cover

ukimalefu Canadized

Fingal’s Cave - Scotland
ukimalefu Canadized
"Strange but true: The three fireballs in the image below are all the same meteor":

One of the photographers who captured one of these images combined his pic with two others to show how each of their views differed from each of their locations in Slovakia and Hungary.
Quote:
Using the three images, the team of photographers was able to reconstruct the physical path of the meteor through the atmosphere, and they found a surprise. "While ordinary meteors disintegrate 60-90km above the ground, this one started to burn much higher: 121km above the ground," says Slovinsky. "We believe this is due to the meteor's high speed, which we measured to be 27km/s (60,000 mph)."

I thought about adding the following to our old string on the 2018 Kilauea eruption.

A new lake has formed at the bottom of Halema‘uma‘u crater:

That brown lake's surface is approximately the size of five football fields. The overall crater is roughly 1.25 km across.

Compare that to what that crater looked like before the eruption:

Of course practically none of the features in that older picture still exist in the other picture which was taken on April 21. Roughly speaking I believe that in the newer pic an arrow pointing north would be parallel to a line drawn from the lower-right corner to upper-left with north to the upper-left, while in the older pic north that same line can be used but north is toward the lower-right.
macnuke Afar
macnuke Afar
TOS
ancient roman mosaic unearthed in italy

Séamas Honorary Consul General
macnuke posted:

Dude thinks this is to die for.
ukimalefu Canadized
ukimalefu Canadized
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
"I'm keeping an eye on you ... "
ukimalefu Canadized

Last edited by ukimalefu on Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:00 pm.

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
ukimalefu posted:

Nope ... not visible.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
ukimalefu posted:

I love his color. It reminds me of kitchen appliances from the '50's
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72