amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70
Online now: Google [Bot]
Séamas Honorary Consul General
TOS posted:
it's not an ugly moon, it's fiery, fierce and untamable!

that's awesome about chance ... my cousin was in that movie (she was the black housekeeper who leaves at the beginning) and she said that peter sellers was just amazing to work with, she came away convinced he was a genius

I love her.
She delivers a couple of the best lines in the movie.
*sees Chance on TV*: "Sure is a white man's world!"
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
TOS
Séamas posted:
TOS posted:
it's not an ugly moon, it's fiery, fierce and untamable!

that's awesome about chance ... my cousin was in that movie (she was the black housekeeper who leaves at the beginning) and she said that peter sellers was just amazing to work with, she came away convinced he was a genius

I love her.
She delivers a couple of the best lines in the movie.
*sees Chance on TV*: "Sure is a white man's world!"

it reflects her true character!
ukimalefu last throes
maurvir posted:
[img]white%20balls%20things%20on%20the%20beach[/img]

an explanation would be nice

eggs?

balls of salt?
ukimalefu posted:
maurvir posted:

eggs?

balls of salt?

It's ice. The wind shipped the ice at the surface, rolling it around until it formed egg-shaped ice balls.
ukimalefu last throes
maurvir posted:
ukimalefu posted:
maurvir posted:

eggs?

balls of salt?

It's ice. The wind shipped the ice at the surface, rolling it around until it formed egg-shaped ice balls.

ah! :up:

Ice on a beach is the last thing I would think of.
ukimalefu last throes
ukimalefu last throes
Mustapha Mond Daring to be stupid
Some of those pupils are creepy af.
ukimalefu last throes
Microfluidics - Capturing abrupt pressure changes using Schlieren imaging at ultrahigh-speed.

Quote:
This ultrahigh-speed sequence shows the liftoff of a pressurized PET drink bottle from a toy rocket launcher. The "Mach discs" or "Mach diamonds" emerge as the flow reaches under-expanded supersonic flow from the nozzle. These objects are the result of standing shockwaves caused by abrupt pressure changes. The direction-indicating colour Schlieren technique used visualizes the density gradients produced.

ukimalefu last throes
Armed anemone (Dofleinia armata)

ukimalefu last throes

Quote:
Europe and Japan's BepiColombo spacecraft took these images of Earth and the Moon in early March 2020 as it sped towards an Earth flyby on 10 April. Before it can enter Mercury orbit in 2025, BepiColombo, which launched in 2018, must make 1 flyby of Earth, 2 flybys of Venus, and 6 flybys of Mercury.

https://www.planetary.org/multimedia/sp ... e=20200403
ukimalefu last throes
proof earth is flat?
ukimalefu last throes
Tauranga, New Zealand

Source didn't have a date
ukimalefu last throes
ukimalefu posted:
Tauranga, New Zealand

Source didn't have a date

The driver whose dash cam caught that posted his video on YouTube on Feb. 11, 2015.

The New Zealand Herald's report combines that video with a close-up and slowed-down segment and with another dash cam video of the meteor lighting up more cloud cover.

Do note that the Herald's video will autoplay unless you cancel that, and then cue up their "next" video unless you stop it at the end.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I wonder what that vertical orange streak just before the meteor is?
ukimalefu last throes
DukeofNuke posted:

whoa, I didn't notice that before

I don't know, an alien teleporting down? ;)

but seriously... another piece from it maybe? or maybe the orange flash is from when it hit the atmosphere, then it changes color when it starts to burn, because different chemicals it may have inside can change the color of the flames.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
... or, an anti missile missile ...
DukeofNuke posted:

Huh. Completely missed that too.

Checking the original video the orange streak moves UPWARD and is confined to small area.

I THINK it is one of the street lights (the color matches by my eye's judgment) being reflected off of something (the front windshield of a car following the videotaker?) and seen through the videotaker's car's back window (and thus limited by either or both), plus being oddly reflected by the inside of the front windshield of the videotaker's car.
ukimalefu last throes
DEyncourt posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

Huh. Completely missed that too.

Checking the original video the orange streak moves UPWARD and is confined to small area.

I THINK it is one of the street lights (the color matches by my eye's judgment) being reflected off of something (the front windshield of a car following the videotaker?) and seen through the videotaker's car's back window (and thus limited by either or both), plus being oddly reflected by the inside of the front windshield of the videotaker's car.

could be that
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Hum, I guess so. It might be easier if I could slow down and frame-by-frame. It seems to light up the cloud, but you don't see it except for that one flash.
Reflection seems most plausible.
ukimalefu last throes
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
Hum, I guess so. It might be easier if I could slow down and frame-by-frame. It seems to light up the cloud, but you don't see it except for that one flash.

if you look at the other streetlights, you'll notice the same effect
ukimalefu last throes
TOS posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

if you look at the other streetlights, you'll notice the same effect

looks hard at gif :squint:

hmmm, you might be right
TOS
ukimalefu last throes
TOS posted:

Quote:
the material in the jet appears to be moving toward us at a whopping 20 times the speed of light, a complex optical illusion.

ok, appears to, optical illusion, but still, coming toward us, it'll take a long time, but, it's coming! run! wait, you can't. Nevermind.
ukimalefu last throes
juice Inadvertently correct
ukimalefu last throes
ukimalefu last throes
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70