amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 77
Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot]
juice Inadvertently correct
False eyes are a thing in nature, for a number of reasons. Confuse predators, make the creature appear larger than it is, etc
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Cuttlefish. Allegedly, a creature of this planet.
TOS
not an image, but if you're hoping to use a telescope to capture the iss transit (cross) the moon, visit here: https://transit-finder.com/
TOS posted:
not an image, but if you're hoping to use a telescope to capture the iss transit (cross) the moon, visit here: https://transit-finder.com/

I'm happy to see it with my own eyes, even if it's just a bright spot in the sky. Have seen it many times.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/
whoa, amazing they could capture that activity, on another planet
The Bad Astronomer on understanding THIS image:

I should point out that this is NOT a visual image. The scientists who created this image were using a specific data from the star HD 101584 which translated the relative speeds of its dust and gases which are being emitted by this system. The green parts are neutral relative to this star while the blue parts are towards us on Earth and--naturally--the red parts are away from us.

BA uses this to illustrate how there are a lot of astronomical phenomena which ARE hourglass-shaped. This likely means in their creations these were likely once binary star systems which FORCED this hourglass. On the other hand solitary stars like the Sun eventually (in several billion years) will make nice round nebulae like Abell 39:

I will point out that the familiar Ring Nebula:

is likely another hourglass although we happen to be positioned looking almost directly down the throat of one of that hourglass' bulbs.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle

4,500 year old quartz crystal dagger with ivory hilt. Found in a Copper Age-era tomb in Valencina de la Concepción, Spain.
That's some Tomb Raider kind of human waste
macnuke Afar
no crystal skull nearby?
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
were there elephants in Spain at that time? Or was it an exotic import?
dv
Metacell posted:
were there elephants in Spain at that time? Or was it an exotic import?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_African_elephant

We humans have a lot to answer for. :goth:

Pics taken 7 years apart
macnuke Afar
on Earth, after 7 years your milage shows, more so when the bath houses aren't close.

Peru

Or maybe Middle Earth.
Boeing 747 beat the transatlantic flight record on Sunday.
"subsonic record" :brow:

Good thing I read that. I was ready to yell: "concorde!"
maurvir posted:

Quote:
more than 1.5 gallons of fresh drinking water per hour for every square meter of solar collecting area.

THAT is the important bit.
While that is extremely cool, looking at those rock fragments below is all I would need to see to NOPE that right away.
maurvir posted:
While that is extremely cool, looking at those rock fragments below is all I would need to see to NOPE that right away.

I know right?
A fossilised dragon? Or did it just blink?
Dragons are not that big. I know because I've seen the desolation of smaug and game of thrones.
macnuke Afar
well it ain't no eye of newt
that'll be someones countertop and/or flooring soon
WTF is happening to Betelgeuse?

The Bad Astronomer does NOT explain because there is just so much that we simply do not understand.

The above are reprocessed images of the actual surface of Betelgeuse although BA does point out that the apparent PHYSICAL distortion in the later image is most likely only due to the difference in brightness. Well over half of the "surface" is significantly dimmer although by what mechanism (such as starspots) we do not understand. Included in that lack of understanding is what constitutes Betelgeuse's surface. While that star has 20 times the mass of the Sun, Betelguese has nearly a thousand times the Sun's diameter (being roughly the equivalent to the orbit of Jupiter) which means that its average density is about one-TRILLIONTH that of the Sun.

Does this mean that Betelgeuse is on its way to becoming a supernova? Well, yes, eventually but again, we don't know. Perhaps what is happening to Betelgeuse are significant steps towards that event and it is only by fortune that we happen to "next door" (~700 light years which is far enough not to cause any likely problems to us on Earth) to AND have the science knowhow now to observe "this year's" supernova in the Milky Way (which we estimate to average one supernova per year but of course practically all of these have been hidden behind the rest of the galaxy).

Or it may be that we will have to wait over 100,000 years for Betelguese to go supernova.
Video of an anvil floating in a vat of mercury.
have you tried saying betelgeuse 3 times fast?

This is Miranda, the smallest of Uranus’ 5 main moons. It has the highest cliff in the Solar System, Verona Rupes, at 10 km (6 miles) high and is nicknamed “the Frankestein moon” because scientists think it was destroyed from an impact and reassorted randomly, creating its unique landscape.
As it happened the day I posted about Betelgeuse fading (on Valentine's Day), there were astronomers who HAD predicted that the star was close to end of its 430-day cycle of variability:

The astronomers who created this light curve for Betelgeuse are South Korean.

The actual prediction (posted on February 1st) was that Betelgeuse would "start to bounce back" on or around February 21st, give or take a week. They based this on a statistical anaysis of past behavior.

Of course this is very early in this cycle and there are still lots of unknowns.
I've been meaning to go outside to see if Orion is visible, but I keep forgetting to. And it's been cloudy anyway.

And I know it will most likely never happen, but I do wish to be looking at the sky one day and boom!, a supernova appears.

I did see a meteor like that one time.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Betelgeuse IS considerably dimmer even with the naked eye.

All the source had was this:

Quote:
Blond fur seals are a rare color phase among the hundreds of thousands of black seals

I never knew those existed, but I'm thinking it won't stay that color when it grows up.
jkahless Custom Title
Assuming it gets to adulthood looking like a happy meal with fins.
Huh. I learned something new about supernovae from this week's episode of the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe (not that my learning lots from that program is that unusual).

Dr. Steven Novella pointed out that in our current models for behavior for massive stars that when a large star like Betelgeuse begins to fuse helium at its core, that star will balloon out to tens of millions or to beyond a billion miles in diameter as Betelgeuse has already done. Beyond that a stellar core will go through several stages of collapse and re-ignition as it builds up the fusion "ash" and fusion of succesively carbon atoms then neon then oxygen (I think he might have mixed up the order of these last two elements) then silicon, each of which in turn gets fused at higher temperatures and pressures, AND each of which lasts for shorter periods of time with that last silicon fusion phase lasting only for 2 DAYS at most.

BTW: the end product of silicon fusion is iron for which there is are no conditions of temperature and pressure which are high enough to cause those atoms to fuse AND produce energy. Any fusion between iron atoms and anything else would result in less energy.

BUT Dr. Novella also pointed out that we on the outside cannot be aware of this. In fact the energy that is being generated by fusion in EVERY star takes several million years to get to the surface of the star where it is emitted as various forms of light.

BUT FURTHER he also pointed out that as the temperatures rise inside these stellar cores, during the LAST phase of silicon fusion there will be the formation of positrons. These will get quickly combined with the many electrons that are already around. This interaction will produce highly energetic neutrino and anti-neutrino pairs, BUT because these hardly interact with any matter these (anti-)neutrinos will pass through all of that matter surrounding the core moving at the speed of light.

Because these neutrinos are so highly energetic, these will interact with our neutrino detectors on Earth in a peculiar way which is unlike the majority of neutrino detections from the Sun or nuclear plants on Earth, and we would also be bombarded with perhaps dozens or more such detections. Fortunately we also know how to use these neutrino detectors to trace them back to their source.

SO if WHEN Betelgeuse were to go GOES supernova, then we will have a window which may be up to 30 hours long for astronomers to announce that it is about to go supernova.

EDIT: I corrected some parts noted by the deletions.

Last edited by DEyncourt on Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:19 am.

Went outside before sunrise, saw Scorpio, that means no Orion for me this time of the year, so I hope Betelgeuse stays put at least until around summer.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 77