amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66
Online now: DEyncourt, Google [Bot], juice
jkahless Custom Title
There've been a couple implimentations over the years, but they never caught on.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Seems to me it would be easier just to make those parts clear.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Metacell posted:

maybe when they have transparent aluminum
macnuke Afar
ukimalefu posted:
Metacell posted:

maybe when they have transparent aluminum

we do.... Mr Scott gave the recipe to a plexiglass manufacturer in 1986 San Francisco.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
ukimalefu dysfunctional
maurvir posted:

Quote:
Very Emo Photo of Its Rocky Martian Prison

the only emo is the author of the article :goth:

:roll:
ukimalefu dysfunctional
there's a continuation of that comic with a better ending
ukimalefu dysfunctional

Yes, Virginia, Viking shield-maidens were real - and badass.
Quote:
Meanwhile in the Atacama Desert of Chile, Thierry Legault was so well prepared that he captured two transits: Mercury and the Hubble Space Telescope. "Calsky predicted a transit of the Hubble Space Telescope visible from Machuca (north of San Pedro de Atacama), 4000 m above sea level near a lagoon where flamingo colonies frolic," says Legault. "So I set up a telescope there and captured the double transit."

"At the time of the transit, Hubble was flying at 26,500 km/h at a distance of 624 km," he says. "It crossed the disk of the sun in only 0.9 seconds--so timing was crucial."

In 2016, Legault photographed a simultaneous transit of Mercury and the International Space Station (ISS). "I decided to try something harder this time, something that had never been done," he says. "I did it despite a thick layer of high clouds that required me to photograph the transit blind without really believing it."

'"Removing the water": physically-accurate color correction algorithm for underwater photography':

At the link there is a video of Derya Akkaynak--the creator of "Sea-thru"--showing more examples and her collecting images. In it, Rob Beshizza of BoingBoing.net pointed out:
Quote:
A funny problem with the video: at 2:56 in, they're seen using Photoshop's color balance tools to edit one of the images, while Akkaynak says "this method is not photoshopping an image." It's surely just a terrible edit and they were doing a comparison

Séamas Honorary Consul General
maurvir posted:

Yes, Virginia, Viking shield-maidens were real - and badass.

Not as baddass as the Celtic warrior lady who wasted her.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional
TOS
robots making robots ... do you want a robot apocalypse? because that's how you get a robot apocalypse
Randall ("XKCD") Munroe's inaugural column in the NY Times answering odd science questions. I do not know if it will be weekly or monthly or irregular.

ukimalefu dysfunctional
The Bad Astronomer on "WHACK 'EM OR NUKE 'EM: HOW TO DEFLECT A KILLER ASTEROID":

This is a projected model for Bennu (which is NOT projected for any Earth impact. It was used since we have a good model for its interior because of the current OSIRIS-REx mission). The black dot to the right side would be the detonation site for a 1 megaton nuclear weapon. The colors represent how much Bennu would be heated by the detonation with the solid red portion being where the asteroid's material would become vaporized, creating the impulse to push the asteroid off its current path.

This would be applicable only to asteroids over 300 meters in diameter (Bennu is about 500 meters) AND with enough lead time.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional
ukimalefu dysfunctional

I thought that could only exist in Middle Earth, but it seems it's a real horse

https://www.google.com/search?q=Belgian ... =651&dpr=1
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
This is a Shire Horse

A bit on the big side for Hobbits.
DEyncourt posted:
Randall ("XKCD") Munroe's inaugural column in the NY Times answering odd science questions. I do not know if it will be weekly or monthly or irregular.

Apparently monthly because here is Munroe's second with this pic:

TOS
aussie wildfires as seen from space

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66