amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46
Online now: Betonhaus, Google [Bot]
ukimalefu posted:

It's 1976 all over again.
TOS
ukimalefu posted:

one of the less interesting mars landers, if you ask me

incidentally, the ufo community is in a tizzy because rumours abound that "disclosure" is about to happen

i.e. the secret gubmint people who have been keeping aliens secret for decades are finally going to show the world what they know

among the secrets is the conviction that mars is littered with ruins of an alien civilization ... google it, it's a trip
TOS
fun fact: space-x is scheduled to deploy 64 satellites, a new record for a single launch
Ribtor posted:
Séamas posted:
TOS posted:
if you have a population of elephants and you only kill the ones with tusks, have you changed their dna?

???
You just let the ones with the "no tusk" mutation breed and pass on their DNA.

Yes.
There are two existing traits and one is being encouraged, unwittingly, to breed true. It's a case of artificial selection. No different from animal breeding. Father Gregor Mendel figured this out long before anyone knew what a gene actually was, let alone DNA.

Why do I get the feeling that this argument has its roots in evolution VS creation theory?
dv
Betonhaus posted:
Ribtor posted:
Séamas posted:
TOS posted:
if you have a population of elephants and you only kill the ones with tusks, have you changed their dna?

???

Yes.
There are two existing traits and one is being encouraged, unwittingly, to breed true. It's a case of artificial selection. No different from animal breeding. Father Gregor Mendel figured this out long before anyone knew what a gene actually was, let alone DNA.

Why do I get the feeling that this argument has its roots in evolution VS creation theory?

Because you don't know us very well.
TOS
dv posted:
Betonhaus posted:
Ribtor posted:
Séamas posted:
TOS posted:

???

Yes.

Because you don't know us very well.

unfortunately our diversity hire moved on to greener pastures
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
TOS posted:

... where his soybeans are rotting on the stem because he couldn't sell them to China, and he couldn't harvest them anyway, because there were no cheap labor Mexicans hanging around the co-op seed and supply store and

... because her emails ...
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I hear he bought his own private island with bitcoin.
dv
DukeofNuke posted:
TOS posted:

... where his soybeans are rotting on the stem because he couldn't sell them to China, and he couldn't harvest them anyway, because there were no cheap labor Mexicans hanging around the co-op seed and supply store and

Nonsense. Soybeans are harvested by robots. You're thinking of tobacco - we use immigrant child labor for that.
juice Inadvertently correct
dv posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
TOS posted:

Nonsense. Soybeans are harvested by robots. You're thinking of tobacco - we use immigrant child labor for that.

And fresh produce.
TOS
juice posted:
dv posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
TOS posted:

And fresh produce.

something something herps
maurvir Outlier

Well, they were... until about 39k years ago.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
A Hungarian Racka sheep

ukimalefu Wasn't me
Brace yourselves, the martian gold rush is coming

user Stupid cockwomble
with just a slight markup on the price
ukimalefu Wasn't me
ukimalefu Wasn't me
TOS posted:
fun fact: space-x is scheduled to deploy 64 satellites, a new record for a single launch

they just did and landed the same first stage for the 3rd time, and I saw it live

They're not showing the deployment of the satellites because "they can't get a video feed from that orbit" or something. If I understood correctly, these satellites will orbit over the poles in a way the lets them get constant sunlight... or near constant? something like that. They were also trying to catch the fairing, but did not show that either. Check SpaceX twitter for more info.
The Bad Astronomer explains "How Phobos got its grooves":

What scientists have proposed is that when the crater Stickney was made, the impact body and subsurface level contributed boulders which began rolling across the surface of Phobos. With its low gravity those boulders were able to roll for long distances, some making complete circuits which combination with Phobos being tidally-locked allowed some to make twisty patterns to explain how some are not parallel.

Read the link for more details.
maurvir Outlier
TOS
jeeeeeeeeeeeezus
macnuke Afar
the old saying is "cough up a lung"... well there you go.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
maurvir posted:

Now, THAT'S what I call a PE!
user Stupid cockwomble
Quote:
But even better sounds are forthcoming: the Mars 2020 rover will have actual high-quality microphones on board, and will record the sounds of its landing as well as the Martian ambience.

I'm surprised we haven't done that already - how are we supposed to communicate with the natives otherwise?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Bizarre Particles Keep Flying Out of Antarctica's Ice, and They Might Shatter Modern Physics

Quote:
since March 2016, researchers have been puzzling over two events in Antarctica where cosmic rays did burst out from the Earth, and were detected by NASA's Antarctic Impulsive Transient Antenna (ANITA) — a balloon-borne antenna drifting over the southern continent.

ANITA is designed to hunt cosmic rays from outer space, so the high-energy neutrino community was buzzing with excitement when the instrument detected particles that seemed to be blasting up from Earth instead of zooming down from space. Because cosmic rays shouldn't do that, scientists began to wonder whether these mysterious beams are made of particles never seen before.

TOS
ah, the high-energy neutrino community, those guys really know how to party!
Maybe the particles merely passed through the earth from a source above the north pole.
user Stupid cockwomble
jkahless Custom Title
maurvir Outlier
maurvir Outlier
TOS
ukimalefu Wasn't me
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Oooh, what wreck is that?
dv
Robert B. posted:

Either a Pangolin or the USS Kittiwake.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
dv posted:
Robert B. posted:

Either a Pangolin or the USS Kittiwake.

two birds with one shot huh?

:up:
maurvir Outlier
maurvir Outlier

Quote:
Built by another F1 legend—Cosworth Engineering—it's a naturally aspirated 6.5L V12 with a 65˚ bank angle. At 10,500rpm it will generate 1,000hp (746kW), with another 500rpm to go before the rev limiter kicks in. Peak torque arrives a bit before that, 545lb-ft (740Nm) at 7,000rpm. And if that sounds low, remember there will be some electric motors to boost things even higher. And it does all that while still meeting emissions regulations.

:awe:
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

amazing science/nature images

Page: 1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46