Four years and four months without any internet...

Page: 1, 2
Online now: No visible users
user Stupid cockwomble
dv posted:
user posted:
Even the small businesses all use the internet for jobs. Craigslist is real popular because it's cheap.

Sure, they use it. But if I walk into Bob's Bait 'n Tackle and Bob likes the cut of my jib, he can give me a start date. If God walked into Walmart and said "let there be employment", there's still a hiring process.

Well, now you are talking about something completely different.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
What broadband and modern media has given me is almost complete control over what I watch or listen to. To me the idea of scheduled programing seems almost quaintly archaic.
Like a land line phone.
I have my Netflix, illegal TV sites and podcasts. I have achieved perfect connected but disconnected nirvana.
dv
user posted:
dv posted:
user posted:
Even the small businesses all use the internet for jobs. Craigslist is real popular because it's cheap.

Sure, they use it. But if I walk into Bob's Bait 'n Tackle and Bob likes the cut of my jib, he can give me a start date. If God walked into Walmart and said "let there be employment", there's still a hiring process.

Well, now you are talking about something completely different.

No, I was talking about that from the beginning. Employers that are online-only from start to finish. Maybe I wasn't clear, but I'm a little fuzzy - I just spend an hour and a half doing Dell's online new-hire-onboarding.
user Stupid cockwomble
Oh, OK.

Increasingly though, even the mom and pops would have to print out a form for onsite fill-out.
I don't dispute the internet is widely beneficial to individuals and business and government. What I'm wondering is how much an individual thinks it's worth to them at home. Some work from home and may require it while others use it for entertainment.

But in the hierarchy of housing, food, cloths, transportation...internet; how much of your income does internet access justify? I'm not asking this in an argumentative sense because I think the internet is broadly speaking, wonderful. I'm curious in the sense of objective value. hard to quantify but money or percentage of income is as good a measure as any.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I suppose if the internet were more expensive than all the things it replaces and the space required for them, i.e. An extra bookshelf for a set of encyclopedias (updated yearly), dictionaries for every language, and a rack of magazines, then I might have to think about whether it worth it. As it is I do not. As a cost-value judgement, the digital lifestyle is far cheaper than the analog one of my youth.
user Stupid cockwomble
I've been paying $45 a month for the last decade. I's been bumped up $5 when Time Warner added a separate modem lease charge. I'm considering buying my own.

That's as much as I care to pay for it. Any higher and I'd start looking for alternatives.
dv
user posted:
I've been paying $45 a month for the last decade. I's been bumped up $5 when Time Warner added a separate modem lease charge. I'm considering buying my own.

That's as much as I care to pay for it. Any higher and I'd start looking for alternatives.

When I signed up for Comcast last weekend, they redirected me to Amazon for modem purchases. Got a used one for $52.
Old Yoda agitator
I'm probably a unique case on this board being on satellite internet.

Got it in 2005. I live literally in the middle of the forest with very poor roads, no phone service at that time and zero cell signal.

The $50/mo cost has been more than offset by the decline of travel. The past twelve months we clocked just under 2k miles on the car, less than 10% of what we used to do.

The 7.5GB monthly limit on my bandwidth bucket does not allow me the luxury to use internet for any video type of entertainment but I can keep up with our diaspora family, global news, and plenty of reading material.

The high latency (and jitter) of my service (1.5 sec ping) does not allow me to use any kind of VOIP service so I "tricked" Homeland Security to run a 6.8 mile POTS line to my place at their cost of about $180,000, but that is another chapter.
dv
OldYoda posted:
The high latency (and jitter) of my service (1.5 sec ping) does not allow me to use any kind of VOIP service so I "tricked" Homeland Security to run a 6.8 mile POTS line to my place at their cost of about $180,000, but that is another chapter.

Okay, storytime. :lol:
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
dv posted:
user posted:

When I signed up for Comcast last weekend, they redirected me to Amazon for modem purchases. Got a used one for $52.

What modem did you get? I'm tired of paying Comcast $8 to rent one every month.
dv
Alexander Supertramp posted:
dv posted:
user posted:

What modem did you get? I'm tired of paying Comcast $8 to rent one every month.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XC6GJ0/

It was on their recommended list.
chikie The same deviled egg
That's basically what I got myself and my parents (and I think my brother also ended up getting).
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Cool, thanks guys.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Four years and four months without any internet...

Page: 1, 2