so how many planets are earth-sized and habitable? a lot

Online now: belloq451, ukimalefu
TOS
study: over 20% of sun-like stars have earth-sized planets in the habitable zone

Quote:
"What this means is, when you look up at the thousands of stars in the night sky, the nearest sun-like star with an Earth-size planet in its habitable zone is probably only 12 light years away and can be seen with the naked eye. That is amazing," said UC Berkeley graduate student Erik Petigura, who led the analysis of the Kepler data.

it doesn't follow that all these planets have life, or indeed any of them; indeed many of them might not be habitable

still, it's an exciting notion for sure
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Habitable zone doesn't mean it has habitable planets, only that it could have them. You still need a breathable atmosphere and liquid water.

But I'm sure some aliens have different needs.

So anyway, get cranking with that warp drive.
user Stupid cockwomble
I can't wait for us to discover silicon-based life forms....

Excuse me, my phone is ringing, must be urgent...
chikie The same deviled egg
ukimalefu posted:
Habitable zone doesn't mean it has habitable planets, only that it could have them. You still need a breathable atmosphere and liquid water.

But I'm sure some aliens have different needs.

So anyway, get cranking with that warp drive.

Habitable zone means that there's surface conditions that usually allow for liquid water.
This information gives us an opportunity to review the Drake Equation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

ne (the fraction of planets in the habitable zone around a star) was 1-5 in the original estimates. This new data shows the lower end of that range is most likely correct.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

so how many planets are earth-sized and habitable? a lot